2K24: Philadelphia Phillies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    after last night's bull-pen meltdown everyone in philly is looking at kenny giles in reading (AA). 99mph FB, 6 innings, 5 saves, 1 hit to start the season. Best of all, he's got a -.47 FIP, so basically if he pitches the top of the 9th down by a run, his team comes to bat in the bottom of the 9th tied (1).

1) joke stolen from phuturephillies.com comments section
    What are they saying specifically? I understand his control is better but only a few innings in so far. Can he really be expected to come in and contribute in the late innings this year? And what about Ethan Martin in the role of closer? Any talk about that as a possibility once he's healthy?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
      What are they saying specifically? I understand his control is better but only a few innings in so far. Can he really be expected to come in and contribute in the late innings this year? And what about Ethan Martin in the role of closer? Any talk about that as a possibility once he's healthy?
      I think what they are saying is "these guys are bums, we need something new and shiny" I don't think the team is going to rush him up.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        I mostly made my post because I wanted to make the joke about Giles negative FIP, but Amaro was asked about him and here's what he had to say...

Asked this morning about Double-A Reading closer Ken Giles, Ruben Amaro Jr. said on the 94 WIP Morning Show that, “I think we have to think about it.” But Amaro also mentioned how Giles is still learning, how he missed time last season because of injuries and how they need to make sure he can handle the ups and downs of the big leagues first.

“We’re not afraid to bring guys up to the big leagues,” Amaro said.

In six scoreless innings, Giles has allowed one hit and two walks and has struck out 14.

Comment

Both Randy Wolf and Kyle Kendrick were promoted to the Phillies well before expected because of need. The organization does have a history of doing this with pitchers from time to time. Hitters, less so.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Did Revere miss those last few games because he was injured or was he benched for defensive reasons?

Thanks.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Did Revere miss those last few games because he was injured or was he benched for defensive reasons?

Thanks.
              Neither, technically. Because Sandberg decided to go with the "hot hand" in Gwynn. But both of those other things may have played a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                Both Randy Wolf and Kyle Kendrick were promoted to the Phillies well before expected because of need. The organization does have a history of doing this with pitchers from time to time. Hitters, less so.
                Does Giles have any chance of closing this year or next? How serious is the team about trading Papelbon?

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                  Does Giles have any chance of closing this year or next? How serious is the team about trading Papelbon?
                  Not serious enough to eat 95% of the salary, which is probably what it would take to move him.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                    Giles is very raw, and, I think, not on the 40-man. As Papelbon tells us, don't become fixated with velocity. Giles throws hard, but so do Rosenberg and Diekman. Neither of them are quite ready, but they are well ahead of Giles.
                    Bearin' up!

Comment

Phillies with a nice showing in Colorado this weekend. Pathetic.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

After 1,565 plate appearances, Ben Revere has finally homered!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

[cripes... why can't I figure out how to insert a video?]

Woot!
                          Last edited by heyelander; 05-28-2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Needs one more to pass Duane Kuiper.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

Tied with Joe Niekro. Woo.
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

WTF is going on with AJ Burnett??

Comment

Working...
                                X