2K24: Philadelphia Phillies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
    Agreed, but don't forget that Kingery didn't have a "starting position" at the start of 2018 either, and they managed to get him in the line-up 5-6 days per week with the thought that he could play somewhere almost every day when they give someone else a break. He started out the season decently enough, and it seemed to be at the expense of Franco who started slowly, and then Crawford got hurt and Kingery played SS most days. It seemed like that was the plan for him for the season - work him in one way or another when everyone's healthy, and when someone gets hurt Kingery plays there until everyone's healthy again. The plan only got derailed when Kingery's offense tanked. My point is just that if Kingery shows he has turned a corner and can be an offensive asset, I don't think that having Franco/Crawford/Hernandez penciled in as "starters" will keep Kingery from seeing the field. The bigger question we all obviously have is...will he rebound from those horrific #'s that he put up.
    That's true, but as you say, they penciled him in as a super-utility because they were expecting something resembling his 2017 form. Now to his credit, he did get into 147 games even with his OPS bottoming out as early as the latter part of April.

Knowing what they do now, do they pencil him in as a super-utility at the expense of others who are better options? As TS Garp also notes, he's really only had one good season. Did the Phils jump the gun with a guaranteed contract? I guess we'll know as early as this coming season, because if he puts up another 61 OPS+, he'll finish it out in the minors like Jonathan Singleton did.

Comment

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
      He started out the season decently enough
      Not really. He did have 13 rbi and 10 XBH in the first month, which is solid, but still hit just .225/.278/.382. He was pretty awful from the get-go. I think the Phillies were determined to find at-bats for him this season because the believed in the potential and they wanted to justify the contract.

Comment

• The Phillies have almost no payroll too, so I imagine they take another run at Machado.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I assume you mean to play SS.

If I am reading things correctly, neither Hernandez nor Franco is under contract yet. Both have trade potential, particularly Hernandez.

Is AFL a possibility. I am not up on the rules.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Manager Gabe Kapler had a home in Malibu.

sadly, after these fires, that no longer is the case.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• “We’re going into this expecting to spend money. And maybe even be a little bit stupid about it. We just prefer not to be completely stupid.”
              John Middleton, Phillies owner yesterday.

Let the bidding begin!
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• +Harper
                +Realmuto
                +Segura
                +McCutcheon
                +Robinson

It's good to be a Phillies fan this spring. You could pick on their rotation but I gotta think this makes them top pick for NL champs???
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                  +Harper
                  +Realmuto
                  +Segura
                  +McCutcheon
                  +Robinson

It's good to be a Phillies fan this spring. You could pick on their rotation but I gotta think this makes them top pick for NL champs???
                  I don'ty know who Robinson is, but they also acquired David Robertson, Juan Nicasio, Jose Alvarez & James Pazos. Crazy. That lineup is insane.

So who loses out? Nick Williams? Odubel Herrera? Roman Quinn is buried now.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    I don'ty know who Robinson is, but they also acquired David Robertson, Juan Nicasio, Jose Alvarez & James Pazos. Crazy. That lineup is insane.

So who loses out? Nick Williams? Odubel Herrera? Roman Quinn is buried now.
                    Quinn and Doobie are competing for CF. None of Harper/Cutch/Williams can really play CF, so Williams is the one who loses out.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      +Harper
                      +Realmuto
                      +Segura
                      +McCutcheon
                      +Robinson

They are now up there, but the Dodgers and Nats are really good, too. The Cardinals, Cubs, and Brewers are also nothing to sneeze at. The NL is going to have crazy parity. 85 wins might get a second wild card; no easy games. The Marlins are going to get slaughtered.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                        Quinn and Doobie are competing for CF. None of Harper/Cutch/Williams can really play CF, so Williams is the one who loses out.
                        I would not be surprised to see Williams traded.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          I would not be surprised to see Williams traded.
                          They need another starter. After Nola even with Arrietta there lies their Achilles Heel.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                            They need another starter. After Nola even with Arrietta there lies their Achilles Heel.
                            Agree. I'm hoping Kingery is involved in a deal for a studly AL starter so I can take over the contract in my NL only.

Probably will be something like an OF (Herrera), a top pitching prospect (Medina) and one of Kingery or Franco.

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post
                              Agree. I'm hoping Kingery is involved in a deal for a studly AL starter so I can take over the contract in my NL only.

Probably will be something like an OF (Herrera), a top pitching prospect (Medina) and one of Kingery or Franco.
                              Moving Kingery might be a problem with his contract and the fact he showed almost no improvement with his bat last season. Other teams might try to low ball him. Moving Williams might be a better option. Depending on how the season goes I would expect something by the trade deadline.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                                Probably. I presume Kapler will again heavily use his bullpen to minimize the innings of the non-Nola/Arrietta starters.
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X