• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
    I'm happy with Kingery at $2.
    Yes, I would be too...

captain-obvious.jpg

Comment

I'm happy with Kingery at $2. He has an excellent chance at ROY. It will be fun watching him.
      I have him for something like that. Crawford too. That pair will be together for a while.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        I have him for something like that. Crawford too. That pair will be together for a while.

J
        I'm dubious about Crawford being valuable outside of deep NL Only leagues.
        You've got something in Kingery though.

Comment

• $2 Kingery was a rules quirk, he was not expected to make opening roster meaning he would have been in our farm auction. You gambled, a long shot that paid off, he made opening roster, but his fair unfettered by rules quirk suppressing bid, he would have went $20 in our auction. So yeah, you should feel good.

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
            $2 Kingery was a rules quirk, he was not expected to make opening roster meaning he would have been in our farm auction. You gambled, a long shot that paid off, he made opening roster, but his fair unfettered by rules quirk suppressing bid, he would have went $20 in our auction. So yeah, you should feel good.
            Any league that has rules based on opening day rosters should draft after opening day in my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Any league that has rules based on opening day rosters should draft after opening day in my opinion.
              Same league, and we do the minor league draft after the season starts...I had the #1 minor league pick and I was licking my chops for Kingery, just waiting for the 2 weeks in AAA to get the extra year of control. Then the Phillies sabotaged me and gave him the big contract...sigh.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Because we drafted early the odds of Kingery making the OD roster was slim to none at that time. Since there wasn't too many options left for MI plus viewing my team as not contending it made sense at the time to take a wild chance. Hell sometime could have said $3 and I would have been out of the bidding if memory serve correct. Kinda of like buying a winning lotto ticket.

I have played in so many leagues and each time either drafting prior to OD or right after the season all with different rules on this stuff. Makes for great conversation on how it should or shouldn't be. Bottom line is understand the rules in your league. If you think the rule is crap then propose a new one. I believe this is what make the leagues we play in unique.

And still happy with Kingery at $2.

Comment

Because we drafted early the odds of Kingery making the OD roster was slim to none at that time. Since there wasn't too many options left for MI plus viewing my team as not contending it made sense at the time to take a wild chance. Hell sometime could have said $3 and I would have been out of the bidding if memory serve correct. Kinda of like buying a winning lotto ticket.

I have played in so many leagues and each time either drafting prior to OD or right after the season all with different rules on this stuff. Makes for great conversation on how it should or shouldn't be. Bottom line is understand the rules in your league. If you think the rule is crap then propose a new one. I believe this is what make the leagues we play in unique.

And still happy with Kingery at $2.
                  Someday Jhailyn Ortiz is going to be better!!! Lots and lots better! :sob:

And I would have gone 3, even 4 to protect my future investment...just didn't have the cash to top 2.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

• heh, I took Ortiz as Mr Irrelevant in our 24-player farm draft yesterday!
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• This started when I saw Scott Kingery listed in the top 200 of a very early ranking (#192 by FantasyPro). Consider that Kingery's season could be called a trainwreck, at least at the plate, .226/.267/.338.

Is the top 200 justified? Will Scott Kingery to be significantly better next season? Where will he play? SS is not his best defensive position, but 2B and 3B seem to be taken. Cesar Hernandez was on a one year deal but he had a decent season, much better than Kingery. Ditto Franco at 3B.

So, what should we expect from the Phillies' middle IF next year?
                      What should we expect from Scott Kingery?

J
                      Last edited by onejayhawk; 10-14-2018, 11:11 PM.
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        This started when I saw Scott Kingery listed in the top 200 of a very early ranking (#192 by FantasyPro). Consider that Kingery's season could be called a trainwreck, at least at the plate, .226/.267/.338.

Is the top 200 justified? Will Scott Kingery to be significantly better next season? Where will he play? SS is not his best defensive position, but 2B and 3B seem to be taken. Cesar Hernandez was on a one year deal but he had a decent season, much better than Kingery. Ditto Franco at 3B.

So, what should we expect from the Phillies' middle IF next year?
                        What should we expect from Scott Kingery?

J
                        Agreed, his season was disastrous. If he didn't just get that long-term deal, he should have been in the minors for a majority of the season.

The Phillies are puzzling: they're kinda loaded on offense, yet nearly everyone besides Hoskins underperformed.

As of right now, Kingery does not have a starting role, so placing him as a Top 200 player is kind of going on blind faith that an opportunity will arise, and then he'll seize it. Arguably, JP Crawford is still the starting SS; Carlos Hernandez at 2B; and Franco at 3B. So where does that leave Kingery?

I haven't done an overall Top 200, but I do currently have him as my #27 SS, which means he's a later-round flyer at best -- unless something changes between now and Opening Day, which I'm sure it will.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          The Phillies are puzzling: they're kinda loaded on offense, yet nearly everyone besides Hoskins underperformed.
                          Yeah, why in the world did they even trade for Wilson Ramos? The guy spent more time on the bench than in the starting lineup down the stretch. I guess they didn't need a .300 hitter with power in their lineup.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                            Yeah, why in the world did they even trade for Wilson Ramos? The guy spent more time on the bench than in the starting lineup down the stretch. I guess they didn't need a .300 hitter with power in their lineup.
                            Or Justin Bour, who's under team control for another 2 seasons?

Comment

Agreed, his season was disastrous. If he didn't just get that long-term deal, he should have been in the minors for a majority of the season.

As of right now, Kingery does not have a starting role, so placing him as a Top 200 player is kind of going on blind faith that an opportunity will arise, and then he'll seize it. Arguably, JP Crawford is still the starting SS; Carlos Hernandez at 2B; and Franco at 3B. So where does that leave Kingery?

I haven't done an overall Top 200, but I do currently have him as my #27 SS, which means he's a later-round flyer at best -- unless something changes between now and Opening Day, which I'm sure it will.
                              It's hard to overstate just how bad Kingery was this year. It wasn't a babip issue or a platoon split issue or a home/away issue -- he was just awful all the way around. Looking back at his minor league numbers, he really only had that one great season in 2017 where his slugging % jumped 150 points and he went from 6 hr's in 2016 to 26. Before that, he was solid and promising but definitely not elite. The thing that really surprised me was the lack of steals. I thought he'd be a shoo-in for 20 steals. Granted, the Phillies didn't run much as a team. They were 23rd in MLB with 69 steals, but still. It's hard to know what to expect from him going forward. If Crawford is healthy, it seems like he'll be in there most every day for his defense (and it's a tiny sample but he did look better when he came back at the end of the year) and unless Hernandez is traded (a possibility), Kingery may start the season in the minors. If they do move Hernandez, Kingery is certainly worth a pick in the later rounds for his upside in steals, but between his poor plate discipline and awful showing last year, I'm skeptical.

Comment

Agreed, but don't forget that Kingery didn't have a "starting position" at the start of 2018 either, and they managed to get him in the line-up 5-6 days per week with the thought that he could play somewhere almost every day when they give someone else a break. He started out the season decently enough, and it seemed to be at the expense of Franco who started slowly, and then Crawford got hurt and Kingery played SS most days. It seemed like that was the plan for him for the season - work him in one way or another when everyone's healthy, and when someone gets hurt Kingery plays there until everyone's healthy again. The plan only got derailed when Kingery's offense tanked. My point is just that if Kingery shows he has turned a corner and can be an offensive asset, I don't think that having Franco/Crawford/Hernandez penciled in as "starters" will keep Kingery from seeing the field. The bigger question we all obviously have is...will he rebound from those horrific #'s that he put up.

Comment

Working...
                                X