2K24: Philadelphia Phillies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Chase Utley to the DL with an extreme case of suckitis.
    I believe it was actually a sprained clause in his contract that he needs 500pa to qualify for.

Comment

• Welp, Sandberg jumped ship before he could be fired at the end of the year.

Pete Mackanin takes over for the rest of the year.

I have no idea what it means for fantasy, but you shouldn't have any of these guys on your team anyway except Franco, Revere, Hamels and Papelbon.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Even though we all know that it really didn't have an effect on Scherzer's bid for another no-hitter, it just shows what a shitty, hobo, hillbilly, organization the Phillies are. I have a newfound respect for Sandberg for not wanting to be a part of that traveling carnival anymore...

With Max Scherzer and the entire the Washington Nationals starting rotation on a historic roll entering play Friday night, the eyes of the baseball world focused on Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia.

Could Max Scherzer make history, joining Johnny Vander Meer as the only pitchers to throw consecutive no-hitters? Would the Nationals franchise record 41 1/3 scoreless innings streak from the starting rotation survive another night? Or would the Phillies 30th ranked offense somehow find a way to solve the mystery and debunk history?

Those were the questions, and for five innings at least it appeared Scherzer had all the answers. During that stretch, Scherzer set down all 15 batters he faced on only 48 pitches.

The amazing start set up what looked like a potentially historic finish. And then something changed. Without warning, the Phillies didn't look so overmatched at the plate. First, Freddy Galvis ended the perfect game bid with a ringing double with one out in the sixth. One inning later, the scoreless streak ended as Philadelphia piled up three hits against Washington's ace. Then came the topper, when pinch hitter Ben Revere connected for his third career home run.

Had Scherzer tired? Had the percentages caught up to him? Or maybe it was something more, like an actual jinx.

Yes, a jinx, that had to be it. And now we know that Phillies broadcasters Tom McCarthy and Matt Stairs were the likely source of the hex.

Like all Phillies fans, the announce team was getting quite antsy as the innings quickly passed by. Prior to the sixth inning, Stairs channeled the superstitious former major leaguer from within by initiating a line change of sorts. He switched seats with McCarthy, and then two batters later it paid off as Scherzer hung a curveball and Galvis laced it for two bases.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• is there a team in the majors - or in all of professional baseball - that does NOT do this stuff? what does this have to do with the Phillies?
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            is there a team in the majors - or in all of professional baseball - that does NOT do this stuff? what does this have to do with the Phillies?
            The simple fact that they DID do it, and then celebrated it...it's just sad as hell. And no, I don't believe that other teams and announcers do this kind of juvenile crap...can you imagine John Miller, Vin Scully, hell, even Sterling and Waldman doing something like this?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• I partly misread the article as being about dugout people.
              that said, I'm sure Hawk Harrelson would do it/has done it, and half the crews around the country would. it's shtick. I think it's lame, but that's what homers do.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                The simple fact that they DID do it, and then celebrated it...it's just sad as hell. And no, I don't believe that other teams and announcers do this kind of juvenile crap...can you imagine John Miller, Vin Scully, hell, even Sterling and Waldman doing something like this?
                0.o

You think this had some sort of effect?
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  0.o

You think this had some sort of effect?
                  Might wanna read the initial post...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Wow. Someone sounds bitter. Do you play for the Tigers?
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                      Wow. Someone sounds bitter. Do you play for the Tigers?
                      Tigers? What year are you living in anyway? Or is it just all those residual psychedelics in your system kicking in?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        Tigers? What year are you living in anyway? Or is it just all those residual psychedelics in your system kicking in?
                        Uuuhhh...that's what I get for working 14 hours then coming on here.
                        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                          Uuuhhh...that's what I get for working 14 hours then coming on here.
                          You get a free pass if you're working those kinds of shifts...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Yeah, dumb stunts by broadcasters have a direct bearing on why a manager would quit. FFS.

If you want to discuss the clownshow aspects of the Phillies, bring up Amaro, or the horrendous draft record since 2003, or the continued employment of Dallas Green.
                            Last edited by Erik; 06-28-2015, 11:55 AM.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              Yeah, dumb stunts by broadcasters have a direct bearing on why a manager would quit. FFS.

If you want to discuss the clownshow aspects of the Phillies, bring up Amaro, or the horrendous draft record since 2003, or the continued employment of Dallas Green.
                              Dallas Green is still alive??

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                                Yeah, dumb stunts by broadcasters have a direct bearing on why a manager would quit. FFS.

Again, reading comprehension REALLY lacking here. The two incidents are entirely unrelated. Sandberg quitting was an example of just how horrible an organization must be for a guy to quit one of only 30 such jobs in the world. Not because the idiot broadcasters did a homer stunt, and then congratulated themselves on it. Which happened AFTER Sandberg had already quit, IIRC...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X