2K24: Washington Nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
    Bud Black is interviewing for the Dodgers job now. He knows where the money is.
    And the Dodgers brass is probably smarter than the Nats. Hmmmm. This has the potential to be hilarious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Post season is a crap shoot, it always has been and always will be. The point is that Mattingly did the job expected of him, to win the division 3 different times. The greatest pitcher in the game came up short a couple of those years, and just because someone is paid a lot doesn't mean the money is well used. The Dodgers had a TON of dead weight on their payroll, and ended up with starters that accomplished nothing. Carl Crawford, Andre Ethier, Brett Anderson, Brandon McCarthy, bullpen guy after failed bullpen guy, and the list can go on.

Mattingly will never be the sabermetricians choice, but I suspect that he's always had a lot more interference from the front office than has been reported. Bottom line is that he did the job, and he did it successfully...we'll see if Black can do the same given the same situation.
      Which is why I was hoping he'd get the shot in Washington. My point being is that mattingly is supposed to win those titles, with that payroll and talent, talent born out by their 2015 rankings (sabermetrics even) He didn't do anything special, kind of like Alex Smith :P

Black on the other hand had squat to work with and kept them respectable and even keeled. Shit even last year when he was forced to fit an entire new roster into the same clubhouse he had them 1 game under .500 when he was fired (the same record the Rangers had at the time)

I'm not saying Bud is the second coming, I just thing he's being unfairly disparaged and Horns, you're not alone in your sentiment, many people much more learned than I feel exactly as you do.

All I can go on is that I felt the same way about Bochy when he went to the Giants.

Best of luck to both Black and whomever he manages next.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        And the Dodgers brass is probably smarter than the Nats. Hmmmm. This has the potential to be hilarious.
        Yeah I'm dyin over here.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          Yeah I'm dyin over here.
          You just got that "Pulp Fiction" shot of adrenaline in the heart...

The Los Angeles Dodgers will interview Kirk Gibson for their managerial opening, team sources told ESPN's Jim Bowden.

The Dodgers have been looking for a replacement since Don Mattingly and the club mutually agreed to part ways last month.
          World Series hero Kirk Gibson interviewed for the open Los Angeles Dodgers manager job, sources tell ESPN's Jim Bowden.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Be careful what you wish for Gio.

Gio Gonzalez said Sunday that he hopes for a longer leash in 2016 under new manager Dusty Baker.
            The southpaw averaged just 5 2/3 innings per start in 2015, primarily due to elevated pitch counts. If he is able to work deeper into games in 2016, it would be a nice boost to his strikeout numbers and in turn his fantasy value.
            Source: Mlb.com via Rotoworld
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Bronson Arroyo tore his labrum in his pitching shoulder and is done for the year (and likely career).

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Bronson Arroyo tore his labrum in his pitching shoulder and is done for the year (and likely career).
                terrible news for arroyo who is a good guy, but also means Dusty Baker cant go classic wonky Dusty Baker with Ross and Roark (or maybe he will just find a way anyway).

Comment

• Revere to the DL with a strained oblique.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Revere to the DL with a strained oblique.
                    Hello Michael Taylor
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Hello Michael Taylor
                      Woo hoo! Make the most of it Mike!

Comment

• Any word on when Turner is coming up? Espinosa looks, well...old. Turners hitting really well in AAA with 5 SB already. I know these teams want the extra year of eligibility, but does that really outweigh the advantage of bringing them up now and winning?

Comment

• Originally posted by jamesfredette View Post
                          Any word on when Turner is coming up? Espinosa looks, well...old. Turners hitting really well in AAA with 5 SB already. I know these teams want the extra year of eligibility, but does that really outweigh the advantage of bringing them up now and winning?
                          I would think so, but after seeing the Cubs of all teams, after a century of not winning, still wait on bringing up Bryant, I wouldn't bank of seeing Turner until late May/early June. Or more precisely, whenever the complicated Super 2 date passes that give them the extra year of cheap control.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            I would think so, but after seeing the Cubs of all teams, after a century of not winning, still wait on bringing up Bryant, I wouldn't bank of seeing Turner until late May/early June. Or more precisely, whenever the complicated Super 2 date passes that give them the extra year of cheap control.
                            I, to my own dismay(turner owner in need of a SS with desmond choking), agree with you, which is a shame because hes clearly the best alternative. Isnt that one thing being re-evaluated in the new players union contract?

Comment

• Originally posted by jamesfredette View Post
                              Any word on when Turner is coming up? Espinosa looks, well...old. Turners hitting really well in AAA with 5 SB already. I know these teams want the extra year of eligibility, but does that really outweigh the advantage of bringing them up now and winning?
                              I went to the Nats' AAA team game today, and Turner was easily the best player on the field. If he's up any longer than a month from now, it's because they're waiting for the June 15 timing. But if they're serious about winning and staving off the Mets, he'll be up sooner rather than later. I think Nats fans are fed up with trading an individual player money issue instead of the team winning.

Comment

• Harper pinch hit homer in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game. Im seriously baffled that they didnt intentionally walk him. Isnt this exact situation what it was invented for?

Comment

Working...
                                X