2K24: Washington Nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rhd View Post
    Papelbon signed thru next year (guaranteed option). Due $11 mil for next year, w $3 mil deferred. So, no Zimmerman, Desmond, Fister or Span, but hey, another year of Papelbon!
    I think the biggest question for Washington may be whether or not Matt Williams is returning as their manager next season.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      I think the biggest question for Washington may be whether or not Matt Williams is returning as their manager next game.
      fixed?
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        fixed?
        This.
        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Papelbon apologizes.

Rotoworld:
          Jonathan Papelbon admitted that he was "in the wrong" after his scuffle with teammate Bryce Harper in the dugout during Sunday's loss to the Braves.
          Papelbon was jawing at Harper for not hustling to first base on a pop out, and the two continued to have words as Harper returned to the dugout. The confrontation then escalated as Papelbon attacked Harper in the dugout and tried to choke him, with teammates having to intervene and restrain both parties. Inexcusably, Nationals manager Matt Williams then let Papelbon take the hill again in the ninth inning, where he allowed five of the eight runs that the Phillies would score in the frame before he was lifted.
          Source: Todd Dybas on Twitter
          Sep 27 - 5:30 PM
          who was catching, and did it look like he was telling the hitter what was coming, because I would if I was the Phillies catcher.....
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I think the biggest question for Washington may be whether or not Matt Williams is returning as their manager next season.
            Actually, I'm thinking now that Williams does return. He's signed thru next year, he's close w GM Mike Rizzo and after Harper's recent ringing endorsement of him I'm thinking he gets another chance. Could be wrong, tho.

Comment

John Ourand of the Sports Business Journal:
              @Ourand_SBJ

Harper on Papelbon: "He apologized, so, yeah. Whatever. I really don't care...It's like brothers fighting."
              From the little I've read about Harper, he's done a bit of maturing this year.

Clearly Williams is out but is Rizzo and Papelbon also gone?

Comment

Comment

in the other angle video, Papelbon has a look of surprise on his face. like right after, as the other players held him he thought it was Harpers fault. granted it doesn't take a lip reader to see Harper said ' if you have a problem with me come at me, come at me now'. lol. I don't quite understand the look of surprise on his face. and then the way he was before he went to pitch, I doubt he thought he was wrong. which he was, he went for the first word and the last one. and that's just selfish.

Comment

As expected.

Rotoworld:
                    Mon, Sep 28
                    Nationals suspended RHP Jonathan Papelbon four games without pay for "unacceptable behavior."

Advice: Papelbon put teammate and NL MVP favorite Bryce Harper into a chokehold in the Nationals dugout on Sunday afternoon. The veteran closer first has to serve a three-game suspension for throwing at Manny Machado, so his 2015 season is now officially over with the additional four games tacked on. Papelbon is due $11 million from the Nationals in 2016.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Mixed keeper league, I can grab Tanner Roark off the waiver wire for $1, and he'd be $4 next year. What's the prospects of him starting next year?

I also have Storen and Papelbon, one of these guys will close for the Nats next year, right? And if one does, is the other one going elsewhere to close?
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                        Mixed keeper league, I can grab Tanner Roark off the waiver wire for $1, and he'd be $4 next year. What's the prospects of him starting next year?

I also have Storen and Papelbon, one of these guys will close for the Nats next year, right? And if one does, is the other one going elsewhere to close?
                        Roark: pretty low. I'd guess the rotation is Scherzer, Strasburg, Gio, Ross, FA signing/Giolito. I guess if there's no opportunity cost to picking him up, that's fine, but it's not like he's pitched all that well this year. I'd be surprised if he warranted a $4 keep in a mixed league unless there were quite a lot of teams in your league.

I think they're probably both safe as closers. Pap has made a lot of enemies already, and I think he has to go, and someone will give him a shot. If they don't move him, I guess they could keep Storen as the setup guy, but he and his teammates would be pretty pissed and I doubt it would end well for the team.
                        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

shocker: Matt Williams, last year's manager of the year, fired.
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

they should make Papelbon the new manager.
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              This was one of the best teams I've ever seen fail to make the playoffs.
                              Best team ever to not even finish .500?
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                                Best team ever to not even finish .500?
                                They won 83 games and lost 79.
                                Anybody want the "under" for next year?

Comment

Working...
                                X