2K24: Houston Astros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    Well hell, the guy pitched at the highest levels of college baseball for 4 years, if anyone should have been able to withstand the pressure of pitching in a launching pad, it's him. I'd expect a 19 YO kid to be shell shocked at his best stuff flying out of the park, not a 23 YO who's seen a lot and pitched close to 400 innings in a competitive environment. I think I rather have it be a nagging injury instead of a head issue...injuries heal with time and treatment.
    That's certainly possible, but veteran major leaguers have let Coors mess with their heads, so it isn't a certainty. Then again, maybe he was hurt. Or maybe he is just a bust. He'll be moved up eventually anyway, and then it won't be a home field issue any more.

Comment

And Appel was considered as "can't miss" a college pitching prospect as they came.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        I am soooooo glad he didn't sign with Pittsburgh when they drafted him in 2012. Houston is probably now regretting not taking Bryant instead of Appel.
        I continue to be flummoxed by Houston's affinity for taking pitchers at the top of the draft while eschewing the top hitting prospects instead. Maybe Aiken will proven me wrong, but the reports of his already damaged elbow ligaments are certainly not promising. And remember when they tried to get cute and draft Correia for cheaper than Buxton would've cost so they could spread the money around? It's easy to play backseat driver here, but holy cow it sure does feel like the Astros' minor league system could be even stronger than it is now had they concentrated on the best hitters in any given draft instead of bothering with pitchers. (No offense meant, KS, and I do think you guys are doing a wonderful job overall!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
          And remember when they tried to get cute and draft Correia for cheaper than Buxton would've cost so they could spread the money around?
          We're pretty happy with the Correa pick. He was at the top of our draft board, unlike what you're suggesting. Buxton's obviously done amazingly well, too, but Correa doesn't need to play second fiddle to anyone. Time will obviously tell, of course. None of them have finished their careers yet.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            We're pretty happy with the Correa pick. He was at the top of our draft board, unlike what you're suggesting. Buxton's obviously done amazingly well, too, but Correa doesn't need to play second fiddle to anyone. Time will obviously tell, of course. None of them have finished their careers yet.
            Maybe we should compare their injuries. Correa was a heck of a pick. I can certainly see wanting a MI over an OF, even a CF.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Brady Aiken's advisor, Casey Close, criticized both the Astros and MLB for the way the team has handled negotiations with the 2014 No. 1 overall pick.
              "We are extremely disappointed that Major League Baseball is allowing the Astros to conduct business in this manner with a complete disregard for the rules governing the draft and the 29 other clubs who have followed those same rules," said Close. The Astros are said to be using a medical concern, specifically about an abnormality with Aiken's elbow ligament, to leverage him into accepting a lower bonus. This would enable them two of their other picks. The two sides initially agreed to a $6.5 million bonus, but their revised offer now sits at $3,168,840, the minimum amount required to ensure that they would receive the second overall pick of the 2015 draft if they fail to sign Aiken. There's a lot of work to do in order to get a deal in place before Friday's deadline.
              Source: FOXSports.comJul 15 - 10:26 AM

Comment

I hate to say it, but I think that the Astros best course now might just be to take the #2 pick next year. Might be a stronger draft anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  & I have both sitting in my AL only Minor league.

If you could only get 1 in a dump trade of Springer or Singleton - which one . Same contract for both. 5 at 2 years

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                    & I have both sitting in my AL only Minor league.

If you could only get 1 in a dump trade of Springer or Singleton - which one . Same contract for both. 5 at 2 years
                    Springer because of the SB potential.
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• I own both and I would choose Springer as the player of choice. As onejay stated the SB potential makes the biggest difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                        I continue to be flummoxed by Houston's affinity for taking pitchers at the top of the draft while eschewing the top hitting prospects instead. Maybe Aiken will proven me wrong, but the reports of his already damaged elbow ligaments are certainly not promising. And remember when they tried to get cute and draft Correia for cheaper than Buxton would've cost so they could spread the money around? It's easy to play backseat driver here, but holy cow it sure does feel like the Astros' minor league system could be even stronger than it is now had they concentrated on the best hitters in any given draft instead of bothering with pitchers. (No offense meant, KS, and I do think you guys are doing a wonderful job overall!)
                        I think Law may have ranked Buxton ahead of Correa prior to the draft but it was more of a 1a, 1b type ranking. Not sure what the injury will do to his ranking, but I'm fairly sure Correa was headed to a top 5, maybe top 3 ranking next preseason.
                        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Brady Aiken's advisor, Casey Close, criticized both the Astros and MLB for the way the team has handled negotiations with the 2014 No. 1 overall pick.
                          "We are extremely disappointed that Major League Baseball is allowing the Astros to conduct business in this manner with a complete disregard for the rules governing the draft and the 29 other clubs who have followed those same rules," said Close. The Astros are said to be using a medical concern, specifically about an abnormality with Aiken's elbow ligament, to leverage him into accepting a lower bonus. This would enable them two of their other picks. The two sides initially agreed to a $6.5 million bonus, but their revised offer now sits at $3,168,840, the minimum amount required to ensure that they would receive the second overall pick of the 2015 draft if they fail to sign Aiken. There's a lot of work to do in order to get a deal in place before Friday's deadline.
                          Source: FOXSports.comJul 15 - 10:26 AM
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• That $3.168 figure is below what I heard from another source (with no history here) last week.

Comment

• Wow, all they need to do now is to spread rumors about the kid when he doesn't take their ridiculous "New Offer"...oh wait, they already did. An "Elbow Abnormality"...looks like Houston is taking a page from the Philly book. Really sad...
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                                the numbers are all ugly for starters for Lancaster. I wonder if it could be mental. Coors has gotten into the heads of some good pitchers, I would imagine that this place could as well. I am sort of surprised he was started there.
                                Anybody been to Lancaster? I haven't and so can't picture the park. With so much invested in a high draft pick, I wonder why the Astros (or other teams for that matter) put up with minor league parks that are too extreme hitters or pitchers parks. It can't be good for development. Yes, I know that minor league teams are usually owned by someone else, so the Astros probably don't actually own the Lancaster club, but could the Astros spring for some renovations to move the fences back a bit?

Comment

Working...
                                X