+77 Oakland
    +39 Washington
    +36 San Francisco
    +27 Houston
    +23 Seattle
    +16 Toronto

Whee!
    jink!
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Mark Appel seems done and is still in A ball. Pulled with one out in fifth. 4.1 IP, 13 H, 5 R so far, 1 bb, 5 ks. Responsible for 2 on base.

That was last nights line. BIG question: What happened to this #1 pick overall ? 62 hits in 37 innings so far this season.

Comment

So, Jose Altuve? On pace to be a top 5 fantasy player. Whoa.

Is .310 and 30-40 steals realistic for next year?

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
          Mark Appel seems done and is still in A ball. Pulled with one out in fifth. 4.1 IP, 13 H, 5 R so far, 1 bb, 5 ks. Responsible for 2 on base.

That was last nights line. BIG question: What happened to this #1 pick overall ? 62 hits in 37 innings so far this season.
          I'd take 5 K / 1 BB in 4.1 IP from any of my prospect pitchers. They got eight DHs playing the field? 31 K/10 BB in 36.2 IP in Hi-A doesn't seem to be cause for concern. 9 HR is way too much, but he gave up only two HR last year. Buy low candidate?

Comment

Is this the California League? If so, a good K/BB but bad ERA isn't necessarily horrible. Some of those parks make Coors field look like Safeco.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
              Is this the California League? If so, a good K/BB but bad ERA isn't necessarily horrible. Some of those parks make Coors field look like Safeco.
              Not just the Cal League, but Lancaster. High Desert and Lancaster are by far the two best hitters' parks in the Cal League.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I dont think Appel is toast but he is slowly being downgraded with every crap outing. A pitcher of his talent and experience shouldn't have too much problem getting A+ batters out. At this point it might be a mental issue more than physical.
                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  Not just the Cal League, but Lancaster. High Desert and Lancaster are by far the two best hitters' parks in the Cal League.
                  Well that explains it. Not a fun place to pitch, to say the least.

Comment

Well that explains it. Not a fun place to pitch, to say the least.
                    I don't think that explains anything. FOR THE SEASON, appels era is 9.50 and his whip is 1.964. He has given up almost twice as many hits as innings pitched with 9 home runs in 36 innings. Hard to believe he is not injured.

I'd like to know how bore-as is going to twist this one...

Comment

agree with WBG - just because he's pitching in the cal league (and lancaster for home games) doesn't explain his ballooned stats. injury or something mental, methinks...
                      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Agreed...how does it explain many of the rest of the pitchers in the Cal league doing decently to well? While on a whole, the peripherals are inflated...there are more than a few with ERA's well under 4, a few under 3, and quite a few with decent WHIP numbers.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

I don't think that explains anything. FOR THE SEASON, appels era is 9.50 and his whip is 1.964. He has given up almost twice as many hits as innings pitched with 9 home runs in 36 innings. Hard to believe he is not injured.

I am soooooo glad he didn't sign with Pittsburgh when they drafted him in 2012. Houston is probably now regretting not taking Bryant instead of Appel.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I guess the pressure of being reasonable regarding a certain agent's name finally got to you. It was a good run while it lasted.

As for Appel, he has been mediocre according to peripherals, with a decent but not great K rate and a BB rate that could use some improvement. The ERA is a bit misleading based upon two blow up starts (both at home) in which he has given up almost half (17 of 39) of his earned runs. He does have easily the worst numbers of the staff at Lancaster, although other than one (Hader), the numbers are all ugly for starters for Lancaster. I wonder if it could be mental. Coors has gotten into the heads of some good pitchers, I would imagine that this place could as well. I am sort of surprised he was started there.

Comment

I guess the pressure of being reasonable regarding a certain agent's name finally got to you. It was a good run while it lasted.

As for Appel, he has been mediocre according to peripherals, with a decent but not great K rate and a BB rate that could use some improvement. The ERA is a bit misleading based upon two blow up starts (both at home) in which he has given up almost half (17 of 39) of his earned runs. He does have easily the worst numbers of the staff at Lancaster, although other than one (Hader), the numbers are all ugly for starters for Lancaster. I wonder if it could be mental. Coors has gotten into the heads of some good pitchers, I would imagine that this place could as well. I am sort of surprised he was started there.
                              Well hell, the guy pitched at the highest levels of college baseball for 4 years, if anyone should have been able to withstand the pressure of pitching in a launching pad, it's him. I'd expect a 19 YO kid to be shell shocked at his best stuff flying out of the park, not a 23 YO who's seen a lot and pitched close to 400 innings in a competitive environment. I think I rather have it be a nagging injury instead of a head issue...injuries heal with time and treatment.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Here is how Boras spins it

Per Rotoworld:
                                Astros pitching prospect Mark Appel recently received a cortisone shot in his right (throwing) wrist. Appel's agent, Scott Boras, revealed that news to Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle on Monday. Appel has posted a disturbing 9.57 ERA and 1.96 WHIP in 36 2/3 innings (10 starts) this season at High-A Lancaster, and maybe this wrist injury -- which Boras called "minor" -- is partly to blame. He was the first overall pick in 2013.
                                Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
                                Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Working...
                                X