No announcement yet.

2K24: Houston Astros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loving these 4 IP outings from Devo. It's like having another starting pitcher out there. I have 14 K's and a win from him this week for $5

Comment

• What's up with Charlie Morton? He's gained almost 4 mph on his fastball since last season. Bionic arm?

Comment

• "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          What's up with Charlie Morton? He's gained almost 4 mph on his fastball since last season. Bionic arm?
          Reading a lot lately about changes in how they are measuring the speed of the ball. They started measuring the speed as it leaves the pitchers hand instead of closer to the plate, if I understand what's going on. It's made a lot of guys look like they've gained speed on their pitches. What I haven't seen explained is why that would show up as a major increase in pitchers like Morton, but not as much of a jump for others. Seems like Morton really is throwing harder, but it may not be a full 4mph due to the revised means of collecting the data.

Comment

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
            Reading a lot lately about changing in how they are measuring the speed of the ball. They started measuring the speed as it leaves the pitchers hand instead of closer to the plate, if I understand what's going on. It's made a lot of guys look like they've gained speed on their pitches. What I haven't seen explained is why that would show up as a major increase in pitchers like Morton, but not as much of a jump for others. Seems like Morton really is throwing harder, but it may not be a full 4mph due to the revised means of collecting the data.
            While true that the readings are higher due to the change from PitchFx to Statcast (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/about...locity-spikes/), my understanding is that on average it represents a change of ~1 MPH on average and it varies between ~0.5 and ~1.5 depending on the original velocity. I think there's a mechanics change that accounts for the majority of this for Morton.

Comment

• He also had the spike last year in the few starts he made. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/insta...f-astros-camp/
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Another look at the magnitude of the velocity changes due to the new method of measuring:

Comment

• Seems to me our friend KS was trying to tell (show) us something...
                  One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

• Originally posted by cool hand View Post
                    Seems to me our friend KS was trying to tell (show) us something...
                    Not really. I just like looking at Charlie Morton pitching in an Astros uniform.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      While true that the readings are higher due to the change from PitchFx to Statcast (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/about...locity-spikes/), my understanding is that on average it represents a change of ~1 MPH on average and it varies between ~0.5 and ~1.5 depending on the original velocity. I think there's a mechanics change that accounts for the majority of this for Morton.
                      I agree completely. Which is why I keep banging my head against the wall every time someone talks about Morton's velocity increase and follows it with a note about the changes in measuring pitch velocity, but then fails to mention that the changes in measurements does NOT explain Morton's drastic increase. If the measuring method was the reason, EVERY pitcher would be showing about the same increase which obviously isn't the case.

Comment

• Devenski has emerged as a major weapon -- so why is he being used as a multi-inning mop up guy? This guy should be pitching in high leverage situations.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Devenski has emerged as a major weapon -- so why is he being used as a multi-inning mop up guy? This guy should be pitching in high leverage situations.
                          Mop up? He's come into the game in high leverage situations both times.

Comment

Agreed. His usage to me indicates he's the next SP in line if someone else gets hurt. He's practically fully stretched out.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I should stop making posts after midnight.....

Comment

• Is there a chance Devenski gets moved into the rotation? 32 Ks in 16 IP! The Houston pen would still be very capable without him.

Comment

Working...
                                X