No announcement yet.

2K24: Houston Astros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations on a well deserved promotion Mike. Most people outside of the Houston organization thought that you guys were still a year or two away from making the playoffs. Great job surprising the hell out of everyone. The Astros are an exciting team to watch now.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
      Congratulations on a well deserved promotion Mike. Most people outside of the Houston organization thought that you guys were still a year or two away from making the playoffs. Great job surprising the hell out of everyone. The Astros are an exciting team to watch now.
      Yeah, it is damn impressive how quickly this team turned things around. It is especially impressive that you have done so not only with the superstars like Correa (and I doubt anyone is still questioning that selection), but also with lesser known players that have blossomed. The leader of that pack is obviously Keuchel. There must be some very proud folks in the organization over how he has developed into an ace.

Comment

• I am late to the party. Congrats Mike!!

Exciting times!

Comment

• Way to go Mike...so happy for you and the family on the promotion. The Astros are in good hands for years to come.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• I am wondering what people now have to say about jon singleton and his contract ?

scott.borass and his clan were totally against the signing and yet, this kid who has a ped penalty and very low output in a small sample size of 400 major league at bats, is probably elated that his future is financially secure.

Yeah, most with his minor league resume become decent mlb'ers and make a boat load but obviously this kid just didn't feel confident enough to risk it.

Granted, he is still only 23 or 24 and has pretty decent minor league numbers so maybe he just needs some more major league experience.

Thing is, I doubt he gets those at bats in houston. Maybe Baltimore should trade for him?

Comment

• Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
              I am wondering what people now have to say about jon singleton and his contract ?

scott.borass and his clan were totally against the signing and yet, this kid who has a ped penalty and very low output in a small sample size of 400 major league at bats, is probably elated that his future is financially secure.

Yeah, most with his minor league resume become decent mlb'ers and make a boat load but obviously this kid just didn't feel confident enough to risk it.
              I haven't done the research, but I strongly suspect the opposite is true--most 1b prospects with his numbers DON'T become decent mlbers and make a boat load. Singleton's numbers in the minors weren't spectacular, and they'd have to be to pan out at 1b or a corner OF spot. I think Singleton was playing the odds in taking that deal--wise from a numbers standpoint, but also a red flag in a profession when confidence is so important.

FWIW going forward, I was never much of a fan of his potential to blossom into a star. He benefited from coming up at a time with a dearth of 1b prospects. He was overrated, because he was considered a top 3 1b prospect some. But better bats wash out at higher leverage defensive positions, and shift to 1b, pushing such one time "top 1b prospects" to the bench or out of the game pretty often.
              Last edited by Sour Masher; 10-30-2015, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• I'm about to pick in my minor league email draft and shockingly Bregman has fallen to my 8th slot. My leading other options are Carson Fulmer, Kyle Tucker, Byung Ho Park, and Tyler Jay, but I like Bregman the best. My one concern is that his bat doesn't profile all that well at 3b, but I don't see how he ends up anywhere else if he stays in the organization. Anyone have any insights into how Bregman fits in the Stros long term plans, and at what position?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  I'm about to pick in my minor league email draft and shockingly Bregman has fallen to my 8th slot. My leading other options are Carson Fulmer, Kyle Tucker, Byung Ho Park, and Tyler Jay, but I like Bregman the best. My one concern is that his bat doesn't profile all that well at 3b, but I don't see how he ends up anywhere else if he stays in the organization. Anyone have any insights into how Bregman fits in the Stros long term plans, and at what position?
                  Bregman is classic draft-best-player-available and worry about how he fits in when he's ready. I'm not sure the Astros could even tell you how he fits into the long term plans, they are just thrilled to have him.

That said, while Bregman is the obvious minor league choice for your #8 pick... If you think you can contend this year, I'd have a hard time not taking Park. You could be turning down a free 25 HRs for 2016.

Comment

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                    Bregman is classic draft-best-player-available and worry about how he fits in when he's ready. I'm not sure the Astros could even tell you how he fits into the long term plans, they are just thrilled to have him.

That said, while Bregman is the obvious minor league choice for your #8 pick... If you think you can contend this year, I'd have a hard time not taking Park. You could be turning down a free 25 HRs for 2016.
                    Yeah, I actually just assumed Bregman was available...we used to be able to roster anyone, but switched over to requiring that players had to be on major league rosters first a couple of years ago. Bregman was actually on a roster since he was in high school and I missed it--grandfathered in. So, yeah, I'm taking Park.

But that isn't relevant to this thread. I still think the Bregman question is an interesting one. He should be ready to play in the bigs in 2017, by all accounts plays SS well enough, and would be very good a 2b. But Correa does not want to move from SS and is working hard to stay there. Altuve isn't going anywhere at 2b. Maybe Bregman becomes trade bait if the Stros are contenting this year.

Comment

• McHugh with a 135.00 ERA and 15.00 WHIP after his beatdown by the Yankees tonight. I'm sure there's been a worse first outing, but I've never seen one overall worse than that one.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        McHugh with a 135.00 ERA and 15.00 WHIP after his beatdown by the Yankees tonight. I'm sure there's been a worse first outing, but I've never seen one overall worse than that one.
                        It's even worse if you look at it pitch by pitch. He went 3-2 on seemingly every hitter. One hitter fouled off 5 pitches on a 3-2 count before getting a hit.

I had McHugh so I was paying close attention. But wait, it gets better, I selected Michael Feliz with my last reserve pick, and was dumb enough to have him active tonight. So have the McHugh debacle, in comes Feliz who I'm not sure looked much better. 11 ER in less than 3 innings for me. Yay. That's kind of what I deserve for being so stupid.

Comment

McHugh with a 135.00 ERA and 15.00 WHIP after his beatdown by the Yankees tonight. I'm sure there's been a worse first outing, but I've never seen one overall worse than that one.
                          I had Fausto Carmona (Roberto Hernandez) in 2011 when he gave up 10 ER in 3 IP on Opening Day. It took my team until June to crawl out of that hole.
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

This adds to my hatred for the Astros right now....between Giles being demoted, Springer sucking and that debacle last night!!! UGH!

Comment

• Originally posted by griswold View Post
                              This adds to my hatred for the Astros right now....between Giles being demoted, Springer sucking and that debacle last night!!! UGH!
                              Mith?
                              Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                                Mith?
                                I didn't say I was unlucky, did I?

Comment

Working...
                                X