No announcement yet.

2K24: Los Angeles Angels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohtani, of course, has had 40+ HRs and 20+ SBs for while now (43 & 23). I got to thinking about what other active players have 40 HR and 20 SB in the same season. Turns out there are only 2 others. I thought surely Trout must have done this but he hasnt. The 2 are Acuna (41 and 37) and Yelich (44 and 30), both in 2019. Players like Betts, Lindor, J Ramirez, Goldy, Miggy, Pujols have never done it either. This is more of a special thing than I thought. Oh yeah, and he also has 3.6 WAR so far as a pitcher, too!

Comment

• Of course Miggy hasn't done it. He is the definition of S-L-O-W. He has never come close to 20 SB in a season although he did have 9 in his 2nd year. He miraculously did steal a base last year.

It a pretty cool accomplishment what Ohtani has done.

Comment

• Another very good outing for Ohtani today. 8.0 IP, 10 K, 5 H, 3 BB, 2 ER (but no W).

However, as great a player as he is, it can be frustrating to own him in a weekly league. You cant really take advantage of his 2-way ability. Because he is turning out to be clearly more valuable as a hitter than as a pitcher, you have to use him almost exclusively as a hitter and use him at pitcher only if you need help in the pitching categories or need innings. And it's not like you can activate him at pitcher when he has a 2-start week because so far he's never had one. And, in a league like mine where you have to fill an OF spot if you have an opening and no other OFers to fill it, you have to use him at OF (he qualifies there in this league because he was an OFer in Japan) even if you need to use him at pitcher. As it's turned out, the times where I've had to use him at hitter he hasnt been all that good, just .214 BA as opposed to .286 when I've had him reserved. Of course, I missed today's great pitching stats because I had to use him as a hitter this week. And he hasnt had an RBI all week.

Comment

• What seemed to be a certain MVP award for Ohtani now seems somewhat uncertain. The last 5-6 weeks or so in particular have been pretty lousy for him. Here are his hitting stats from 8/16 to present:

.198/.366/.360, 6 HR, 9 RBI, 17 R, 7 SB, 111 AB

His pitching stats for this period:

4.31 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 31.3 IP, 34 K, 5 BB

What's more, his team is not making the playoffs. If the Jays do, I'm thinking Vladdy wins it over him. Especially if he wins the triple crown. If the Jays dont make it, it's more uncertain. I dont see a viable candidate on the Rays. Yordan Alvarez has the stats for it but unlikely that they'll vote for a DH. Altuve and Kyle Tucker are candidates from the Astros. Judge from the Yankees, Devers from the RedSox and Abreu from the ChiSox are candidates. Still, if the Jays dont make it I think Ohtani gets it. If they do, then I think it's Vladdy. Not saying I would vote Vladdy but I think the voters will.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
            What seemed to be a certain MVP award for Ohtani now seems somewhat uncertain. The last 5-6 weeks or so in particular have been pretty lousy for him. Here are his hitting stats from 8/16 to present:

What's more, his team is not making the playoffs. If the Jays do, I'm thinking Vladdy wins it over him. Especially if he wins the triple crown. If the Jays dont make it, it's more uncertain. I dont see a viable candidate on the Rays. Yordan Alvarez has the stats for it but unlikely that they'll vote for a DH. Altuve and Kyle Tucker are candidates from the Astros. Judge from the Yankees, Devers from the RedSox and Abreu from the ChiSox are candidates. Still, if the Jays dont make it I think Ohtani gets it. If they do, then I think it's Vladdy. Not saying I would vote Vladdy but I think the voters will.
            Right about the time I traded for him...hmmm.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
              What seemed to be a certain MVP award for Ohtani now seems somewhat uncertain. The last 5-6 weeks or so in particular have been pretty lousy for him. Here are his hitting stats from 8/16 to present:

Ohtani is winning it, the voters aren't going to deny a guy MVP who's put up a season unmatched in the history of the sport.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Ohtani is getting more selective at the plate and has 11 walks in his last 3 games.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  Ohtani is getting more selective at the plate and has 11 walks in his last 3 games.
                  Ohtani tied the record (Bonds, Harper) for most walks in 3 games.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• David Fletcher gunning to become the second batter in the Statcast era to not have one single barrel for the entire season. Seems really hard to do, or at least really hard to do while one keeps one's job.
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                      David Fletcher gunning to become the second batter in the Statcast era to not have one single barrel for the entire season. Seems really hard to do, or at least really hard to do while one keeps one's job.
                      Good thing the Angels signed Fletcher to a 5 year contract at the start of this season. They are already regretting the Rendon contract, so why not add a few more to the pile.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                        David Fletcher gunning to become the second batter in the Statcast era to not have one single barrel for the entire season. Seems really hard to do, or at least really hard to do while one keeps one's job.
                        Who's the first?

Comment

• Over the last six weeks Trout has performed various baseball activities, including running the bases, though he is still experiencing soreness in the calf following his workouts. The team initially announced a 6-8 week recovery time when Trout got hurt and this is now week 15. No player has missed this much time with a calf strain in years. Or EVER!!!
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            Over the last six weeks Trout has performed various baseball activities, including running the bases, though he is still experiencing soreness in the calf following his workouts. The team initially announced a 6-8 week recovery time when Trout got hurt and this is now week 15. No player has missed this much time with a calf strain in years. Or EVER!!!
                            No one, including Trout in fact. It wasn't a strain, he tore his calf. https://twitter.com/Alex_Curry/statu...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              No one, including Trout in fact. It wasn't a strain, he tore his calf. https://twitter.com/Alex_Curry/statu...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
                              Thanks!
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Angels manager Joe Maddon announced Wednesday that Shohei Ohtani will not make another start as a pitcher this season.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X