Did he throw a Gyro Ball?
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Enjoyed watching Ichiro pitch today!
        Marlins sign Ichiro to a one year $2 million deal. The soon to be 42 year old needs 65 hits for 3000 and 2 stolen bases for 500.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Ichiro is my favorite player, but even I can acknowledge that he was terrible this year. As a 5th outfielder I think he's fine, but there's no way a contending team wants him getting more than 150 ABs.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
            Marlins sign Ichiro to a one year $2 million deal. The soon to be 42 year old needs 65 hits for 3000 and 2 stolen bases for 500.
            It's kinda sad that that's pretty much the reason why they brought him back.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              Lots of 3rd place teams bring back their team leader in games played :shrug:

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                He also has a lot of intangibles.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  Lots of 3rd place teams bring back their team leader in games played :shrug:
                  You know what's also sad? Their leader -- by far -- in nearly every pitching category was Tom Koehler. Go Stony Brook!

Comment

• Is it just me or does Don Mattingly and the Marlins seem like a total mismatch? Even bringing back Ozzie Guillen would make more sense.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Is it just me or does Don Mattingly and the Marlins seem like a total mismatch? Even bringing back Ozzie Guillen would make more sense.
                      I mean... what is the Marlins' team-building philosophy? Does anyone know? Clearly, Donnie Baseball seems like a reasonably good fit for the Joe Torre veteran babysitting school of managing. And the Marlins don't appear to have that type of team. But at least Mattingly is good at managing in chaos. Hopefully he brings a good pitching coach with him.

Comment

• Marlins also canned Dan Jennings as GM today. Ok, I'm confused -- shouldn't a GM be in on hiring a manager??

Comment

Is it just me or does Don Mattingly and the Marlins seem like a total mismatch? Even bringing back Ozzie Guillen would make more sense.
                          I disagree but perhaps I don't know enough about Mattingly as a manager. The Marlins haven't valued innovation in their managers. Ownership seems to like a more traditional style, which Mattingly seems to use. Guillen's mouth was a total disaster which Mattingly's won't be. The Marlins are a lot closer to being a very good team then most people give them credit for. If the team stays healthy they can win. They could use a right handed first baseman, a backup catcher, bullpen help and a starter but they have two solid outfielders, an all star quality second baseman, and decent players at third, short and catcher, and possible another good outfielder. Their minor league system is barren but the major league team is young and has talent. If they have injuries they will fail as their subs are generally of poor quality.

Comment

• And Mattingly may be better in an environment that isn't so win-NOW. The pressure to manage the Dodgers must be extreme. A storied franchise. A huge payroll. The best pitcher in baseball. If you don't win there, you're seen as a failure.

Maybe in Miami, the pressure to win a World Series immediately will be gone, and Mattingly can progress naturally on his learning curve to being a great manager.

Maybe.

I am such an optimist.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                              And Mattingly may be better in an environment that isn't so win-NOW. The pressure to manage the Dodgers must be extreme. A storied franchise. A huge payroll. The best pitcher in baseball. If you don't win there, you're seen as a failure.

Maybe in Miami, the pressure to win a World Series immediately will be gone, and Mattingly can progress naturally on his learning curve to being a great manager.

Maybe.

I am such an optimist.
                              You are a baseball fan. Optimist is redundant.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X