2K24: Texas Rangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Neither of those guys is their top pitching prospect actually. Closest to helping, yes, best prospect, no. They are both SP4/SP5 types.
    Good distinction. Their best prospects are in A and AA. You have to love Yerry Rodriguez and Ronny Henriguez on the same team.

All that said, I think Allard has better upside. He found an extra MPH on the fastball last season. If it's legit, he's SP3 at least.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      All that said, I think Allard has better upside. He found an extra MPH on the fastball last season. If it's legit, he's SP3 at least.
      I'm pretty low on Allard. You are right he added some velo, but it didn't play up in his starts. He had that one gem against the White Sox on Aug 24th where he struck out 8 in 6.1, but then he struck out 10 and walked 11 in his last 24.1 IP for the season. Color me skeptical.

Comment

I'm pretty low on Allard. You are right he added some velo, but it didn't play up in his starts. He had that one gem against the White Sox on Aug 24th where he struck out 8 in 6.1, but then he struck out 10 and walked 11 in his last 24.1 IP for the season. Color me skeptical.
        He has to learn to use the new pitch rather than vice versa. Hence acquiring Kyle Gibson and Jordan Lyles for SP4 and SP5, and sending Allard back to AAA.

I like the way the Rangers front office has been handling their resources. They assembled a decent five man rotation for almost nothing and are giving the kids time to mature. With the new ballpark and something close to a .500 roster, they can generate some buzz.

That said, I'm sorry to say goodbye to the Ballpark in Arlington. Gorgeous facility and right next to Six Flags. Good memories.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

He has to learn to use the new pitch rather than vice versa. Hence acquiring Kyle Gibson and Jordan Lyles for SP4 and SP5, and sending Allard back to AAA.
          That's a really positive spin on a player getting sent to AAA. From my perspective, they signed Gibson and Lyles b/c relying on Allard was a bad idea.

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          I like the way the Rangers front office has been handling their resources.
          Agree. I'm a big fan of Jon Daniels. He doesn't get enough credit.

Comment

• I plan to take Allard with a prospect round pick in my weird league. He isn't McKenzie Gore or Nate Pearson, but those guys are already picked. If he hits, he should impact later this year. If not, I still get a cheap keep if I want it.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I plan to take Allard with a prospect round pick in my weird league. He isn't McKenzie Gore or Nate Pearson, but those guys are already picked. If he hits, he should impact later this year. If not, I still get a cheap keep if I want it.

J
              Not to keep banging our heads on the wall but saying he isn't Gore or Pearson is a vast understatement. In an era where 9K/9 is common he will struggle to reach 7. His control is average. He has not shown a propensity to suppress hits or HR. I could probably list 50 prospects I'd rather have. Outside of his velocity bump, which simply pushed him up to a level that's average (not plus), what is it about Allard that's attractive?

Comment

Not to keep banging our heads on the wall but saying he isn't Gore or Pearson is a vast understatement. In an era where 9K/9 is common he will struggle to reach 7. His control is average. He has not shown a propensity to suppress hits or HR. I could probably list 50 prospects I'd rather have. Outside of his velocity bump, which simply pushed him up to a level that's average (not plus), what is it about Allard that's attractive?
                He has a gut feel that he is justifying by the uptick and organization. Im my best Capt. Kirk voice; He... will ...not...be...denied.

Comment

It's that bump in velocity. Before he was getting by on a subpar fastball. If that part of his game is just average, he's a much improved pitcher. The flashes were enough to think that all he needs is practice and consistency.

If there are only 50 prospects in front of him, we're on the same page. I need to focus on players that are close to ready, which rules out a lot of the AA players.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

It's that bump in velocity. Before he was getting by on a subpar fastball. If that part of his game is just average, he's a much improved pitcher. The flashes were enough to think that all he needs is practice and consistency.

If there are only 50 prospects in front of him, we're on the same page. I need to focus on players that are close to ready, which rules out a lot of the AA players.

J
                    His increase in velocity was only to 92.5 MPH. I don't think it's enough. I agree with Ken here. He lacks enough command to survive without plus velocity.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      His increase in velocity was only to 92.5 MPH. I don't think it's enough. I agree with Ken here. He lacks enough command to survive without plus velocity.
                      It's an only-league sort of speculative pick. At the very least, he's worth watching.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Willie Calhoun with a broken jaw from a 95 MPH pitch from Urias to the face. Scary scene. Not sure how long he's out.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          Willie Calhoun with a broken jaw from a 95 MPH pitch from Urias to the face. Scary scene. Not sure how long he's out.
                          Really scary. Hoping he's OK.

Should definitely free up Nick Solak to play while he's out, and keeps Solak from breathing down Odor's neck at 2B for a while. The Rangers are down to only 2 DHs now (Solak and Choo) instead of 3 (Solak, Choo, Calhoun).

Comment

• Willie Calhoun sustained a fractured jaw after being hit in the face by a pitch during Sunday's Cactus League game.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              My God, this thing is UGLY outside.
                              Dan Aykroyd singing "Rawhide" would be the perfect theme song for that...that...thing.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X