• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
    re Gallo and bunting:
    shift against Gallo:

result:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/Delectable...ird-mobile.mp4
    I loved it. That's the way to beat the shift. Wish more hitters would start doing that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      I loved it. That's the way to beat the shift. Wish more hitters would start doing that.
      Indeed if more players did this it would signal the death of the extreme shift.

Comment

• I'm surprised this was not up already. Adrian Beltre passed Ichiro to become the all-time leader in hits by a foreign-born player. Ichiro, Rod Carew, Albert Pujols, Rafael Palmero, and Roberto Clemente are the other 3000 hit players not born on American soil.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• So how long until Cole Hamels is a Yankee? Would Clint Frazier & a lower-tiered minor leaguer be enough to land him?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            So how long until Cole Hamels is a Yankee? Would Clint Frazier & a lower-tiered minor leaguer be enough to land him?
            I'd think that'd be plenty, but I'd also not be surprised if Hamels ends up on the Dodgers. LA must be pretty desperate for a stopgap arm or two to try and get them to the playoffs. And Hamels stuff probably would play OK in Chavez Ravine - surely a lot better than Arlington.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              I'm surprised this was not up already. Adrian Beltre passed Ichiro to become the all-time leader in hits by a foreign-born player. Ichiro, Rod Carew, Albert Pujols, Rafael Palmero, and Roberto Clemente are the other 3000 hit players not born on American soil.

J
              Both Celemente and Carew were born on "American soil."
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Both Celemente and Carew were born on "American soil."
                Valid point. Outside the 50 states and DC then.

I was looking at the chart of to 15 players by career hits. Only Ichiro is not from Latin America. I wonder how long that will last, especially with Cuba becoming a pipeline.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Delino DeShields sent down to AAA.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    Delino DeShields sent down to AAA.
                    Guy in my AL only was trying to peddle him, at 36 bucks with the logic that he could help win the SB category. Nobody bit, simply because of the price...
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Rougned Odor had 23 BBs in 470 ABs last season. He had 5 BBs TONIGHT.

Comment

Rougned Odor had 23 BBs in 470 ABs last season. He had 5 BBs TONIGHT.
                        If you had Odor in the pool for first player to get 5 BB and a HR without going to extra innings then I think you won quite a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          If you had Odor in the pool for first player to get 5 BB and a HR without going to extra innings then I think you won quite a bit.
                          In fact, walking 5 times in a single game has only been accomplished 100 times since 1918, making it a rarer occurrence than a no-hitter or hitting 3 HRs in a game. And making this more bizarre is the fact it was done by Odor, who had a career walk rate of 4.5%. Odor's walk rate in 2017 placed him 135th out of 145 qualified batters.

Comment

• Odor drew five walks in less than a week? Wow!

My favorite obscure accomplishment is the immaculate IP--3 K on 9 pitches. Koufax had three. Last season Scherzer got his second. I was watching on TV when the only WS instance happened.

J
                            Last edited by onejayhawk; 08-03-2018, 11:32 AM.
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Jose LeClerc with just 56 HA in 114 career IP.

Oh, and the rest of the entire staff is beyond horrendous (except for Mike Minor).

Comment

Jose LeClerc with just 56 HA in 114 career IP.

Oh, and the rest of the entire staff is beyond horrendous (except for Mike Minor).
                                and 80 Ks in 52.2IP this year, looking more confident every outing ... I'd think he's pushing to be considered elite going into next year, no?
                                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X