2K24: Texas Rangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
    Is a broken elbow only a 4-6 weeks thing? Gosh I'd think that might be longer but haven't seen a schedule yet.
    You're right. It has been upped to 6-8 weeks, which likely means 10.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Now Profar is in the concussion protocol after getting taken out turning a double play and landing on his head. I couldn't tell if the Rays guy slid early to knock Profar down or get out of Profar's way.

Comment

• The Rangers now have Choo (currently hitting .211), Gallo (career 39% Ks), Mazara and Beltre, along with an ~ average catcher and 4 AAA players in their starting lineup.

I'd recommend streaming any pitcher who starts against them for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          The Rangers now have Choo (currently hitting .211), Gallo (career 39% Ks), Mazara and Beltre, along with an ~ average catcher and 4 AAA players in their starting lineup.
          And I don't envy the Rangers GM - he has at least one on the farm in Calhoun who they're clearly leaving down to save an arb year. But by the time that clears for him, the Rangers may well be so far back they'll have little chance to catch up. Rock, meet hard place.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            And I don't envy the Rangers GM - he has at least one on the farm in Calhoun who they're clearly leaving down to save an arb year. But by the time that clears for him, the Rangers may well be so far back they'll have little chance to catch up. Rock, meet hard place.
            With their pitching staff they were too far back to catch up in February.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
              With their pitching staff they were too far back to catch up in February.
              Good point. I'd be bribing my manager to be hitting against Martin Perez right now, that's for sure.

That probably explains why Calhoun is still in AAA.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• What a trainwreck. At least they restocked the low farm. I a couple years they should have something.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Beltre is a free agent after this year? Would make some sense for TEX to trade him.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    Beltre is a free agent after this year? Would make some sense for TEX to trade him.
                    From what I've heard locally the plan is to go to him at the trade deadline and ask him if he wants to stay and retire as a Ranger or if he wants to be traded to a contender. I suspect he'll want to be traded.

He's definitely in control though, the front office has immense respect for him both as a player and as an individual.

Comment

• Excepting Nolan Ryan, Beltre is without question the best player to have a long stretch of career with the Rangers. Ryan's impact was more after retirement than as a player, multiple no-hitters not with standing.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        Ryan's impact was more after retirement than as a player, multiple no-hitters not with standing.
                        I would argue that his role as a player dwarfs his 6 year stint in upper management.

Casual Ranger fans give him credit for their success during that time, but when you look deeper he was really more of an opportunistic figure head (who left for Houston right as their young talent was ready for the mlb level).

Comment

• Maybe. He had one outstanding year, at age 41, and three more very good years. Still, I am with the casual fans. When he was in management, their player moves were more insightful and the team played with better chemistry. The success was not all his. The farm system was built up when he arrived, for example. But he used it very astutely and took care to restock.

Regardless, take his four good years and his six in management together. It's the only thumbprint that compares to Adrian Beltre's.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• I'm not a DFW local so I don't really know how he's regarded by Rangers fans, but Ivan Rodriguez spent the prime years of a HoF career with the club. That ought to count for something.

Comment

• I overlooked Pudge. Still, Beltre is a much better player, just not for as long. The names in my mind were Ian Kinsler, Rafael Palmero, Buddy Bell. They are not close. Pitching, even Ryan is not, unless you take the exec work into account. The Rangers best pitchers have been Kenny Rogers and Yu Darvish. That legacy is thin.

It struck me that I said Adrian Beltre is a much better player than a HoFer, but it's true. Defensively, Rodriguez is a great defensive C, possibly the best ever, while Beltre takes a clear back seat to Brooks Robinson. Still, it's only Brooks and Beltre is a vastly better hitter than Rodriguez.

J
                              Last edited by onejayhawk; 04-19-2018, 06:51 PM.
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• re Gallo and bunting:

shift against Gallo:

result:

In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                                X