2K24: Texas Rangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Did opponents employ the shift vs Ted Williams?
    Yes, and in honor of Nate Silver, I'll reference an article off fivethirtyeight.com: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-ted-williams/

As an aside, it illustrates how brilliant of a baseball mind Lou Boudreau was.

Is there anyone playing today with nearly the hitting skill?
    Well, no. There is no one, past or present, that has or had the hitting skill of Ted Williams.

What is your point?
    In this case, I see J's point. Madducks made a point, and J's basically concurring, using the greatest hitter of all time to illustrate that just about no players will bunt against the shift, even though Williams could have, easily.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Thanks for the clarification.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Williams would not even deign to hit the opposite way, but essentially yes. Can you imagine his stats if he was willing to bang doubles off the Monster when you pitched him away?

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Manager Jeff Banister ruled out having Gallo bunt against defensive shifts early in the season, Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.
          Banister told the assembled media that this early in the season, it was more important for Gallo to find a rhythm to his swing than have him attempt to bunt. There's was much debate following Opening Day on Thursday when the Astros had four men in the outfield and the infield shifted entirely to the left side of the second base. Gallo has practiced bunting in drills or batting practice, but it's a different environment in a game against someone like Justin Verlander. It sounds like we could see Gallo bunt in certain situations against a shift, but he'll largely remain the hitter we saw last year when he bopped 41 home runs.
          so I guess they're considering it?
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            here's how Houston lined up against Joey Gallo today ... sorry for the size, I'd have made this smaller if I could ...

It don't matter if he hits it over their heads.

Comment

• His BA is barely .200 anyway. How can you tell if it works?

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                His BA is barely .200 anyway. How can you tell if it works?

J
                If it goes up to .220 with 10 bunt hits would be a good sign.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  If it goes up to .220 with 10 bunt hits would be a good sign.
                  What if it goes to .220 without 10 bunt hits?

With Deshields sidelined, RR has Drew Robinson in CF. I am suggesting Jurickson Profar may be in the mix, though I gather the speed is not what it once was.

Fangraphs' prospect summary:
                  19. Drew Robinson, INF
                  Drafted: 4th Round, 2010 from Silverado HS (NV)
                  Age 25 Height 6’1 Weight 200 Bat/Throw L/R
                  Tool Grades (Present/Future)
                  Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
                  40/40 55/55 40/45 55/55 50/50 60/60
                  Relevant/Interesting Metrics
                  Recorded 54 extra-base hits in PCL last year.

Scouting Report
                  Drafted as an unpolished athlete in the 2010 fourth round, Robinson immediately began seeing time all over the diamond and has gradually improved at each position. While he’s mostly stopped playing shortstop, Robinson saw time at all other positions (except catcher) in 2016 and even got some reps in center field, a position he continued to hone in Venezuela over the winter. He runs well enough that he can pass there in case of emergency, but he’s best at third and in right field, where his arm is an asset.

Robinson has some swing-and-miss issues but also sneaky raw power that he generates with a flick of the wrist. He made the big club out of spring training (and was just sent down) and should have a long career as a big-league utility man.
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Adrian Beltre passes a milestone--HoF player Rod Carew. Beltre has more hits, 3055, than any player born in a Latin American country. Most hits by a foreign born player is 3082 by Ichiro Suzuki.

Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre, a native of the Dominican Republic, surpassed Rod Carew on Thursday to become the career leader in hits among Latin American-born players.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Andrus HBP, broken elbow.
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• So, their middle infield is now Profar and Isiah Kiner-Falefa ? Do they have anyone to call up? Andy Ibanez maybe? I doubt they'll call up Calhoun to play 2B but it would be awesome if they did.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          So, their middle infield is now Profar and Isiah Kiner-Falefa ? Do they have anyone to call up? Andy Ibanez maybe? I doubt they'll call up Calhoun to play 2B but it would be awesome if they did.
                          Hanser Alberto is next man up if they want to call up another middle infielder.
                          Not really fantasy relevant outside of getting some ABs.

Comment

• Kiner-Falefa is not a SS, except for very occasional use. Profar will get the time there unless his defense forces a change. Since he looks to get some meaningful playing time, how much value does he have for the next month to six weeks?

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Kiner-Falefa is not a SS, except for very occasional use.
                              Correct - the idea is that Profar was originally getting extended time at 2B due to Odor's injury, now Profar moves to SS instead and IKF could get some time at 2B.

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                              Since he looks to get some meaningful playing time, how much value does he have for the next month to six weeks?
                              J
                              In AL Only there will be some ABs and he can chip in a HR/SB now and then so he has value. In a mixed league (outside of very deep 20 team types), I don't see much reason for interest. Over a full season I'd expect around a .260 hitter with 10 HR and 5 SB. He's streaky though, there may be some good weeks mixed in with the terrible -- in 2016 when he first got some ABs that year he hit .397/.407/.603 the first couple weeks, but then .196/.301/.266 the rest of the season.

Personally I'm out on him until he proves something for several weeks, and by then it's probably too late. He'll have to be someone else's lotto ticket I guess.

Comment

Kiner-Falefa is not a SS, except for very occasional use. Profar will get the time there unless his defense forces a change. Since he looks to get some meaningful playing time, how much value does he have for the next month to six weeks?

J
                                Is a broken elbow only a 4-6 weeks thing? Gosh I'd think that might be longer but haven't seen a schedule yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X