No announcement yet.

2K24: New York Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get that Cohen has money and he is willing to spend it, but of all teams, the Mets give Brandon Nimmo an 8-year deal at 20m+ per year - the same team that has actually lived through a guy who has made it to 140 games twice in his career. I also realize that CF is thin, but these numbers just dont make much sense.

Comment

• My Mets fan friend rightly points out that Cohen is spending 400m to put essentially the same team (or worse) on the field as last year. Verlander and Degrom is basically a wash; Ottavino/Robertson; Quintana a downgrade from Bassitt. Re-ups for a closer and a CF who rarely plays more than 70 games. Just doesnt seem like a smart franchise. Let em spend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
        My Mets fan friend rightly points out that Cohen is spending 400m to put essentially the same team (or worse) on the field as last year. Verlander and Degrom is basically a wash; Ottavino/Robertson; Quintana a downgrade from Bassitt. Re-ups for a closer and a CF who rarely plays more than 70 games. Just doesnt seem like a smart franchise. Let em spend.
        In some ways it's really weird to look at that in terms of total future spend.

What is the change in annual salary? That's what the Mets are "paying" in net terms.

For example, look at DeGrom vs Verlander - Degrom made $18mm last year and Verlander will make $43mm next year. I think it's fair to say "The Mets are spending $25mm more for Verlander and getting basically a wash". That's a meaningful comparison that does indeed make the Mets look silly.

But you are quoting total contracts.

You are saying "The Mets are spending $86mm for Verlander and getting a wash". That statement isn't meaningful in my opinion. You are missing the other side of the equation. In fact, a counter might be "they aren't stuck with DeGrom's $185mm contract so they saved $100mm"

Comment

I get that Cohen has money and he is willing to spend it, but of all teams, the Mets give Brandon Nimmo an 8-year deal at 20m+ per year - the same team that has actually lived through a guy who has made it to 140 games twice in his career. I also realize that CF is thin, but these numbers just dont make much sense.
          >5 WAR player last year, seems like that's pretty much the going rate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            >5 WAR player last year, seems like that's pretty much the going rate.
            When I saw this, I was very curious how Nimmo's 2022 WAR could be this high. But, indeed, his bWAR is 5.1 and his fWAR is 5.4. Yet he had only 16 HR, 64 RBI, 102 R, 3 SB. His slash line was .274/.367/.433. His BRef defensive WAR was only 0.2. Seems more like a 2 WAR year than a 5 WAR one. To me, this looks like good evidence that WAR is not a perfect statistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
              When I saw this, I was very curious how Nimmo's 2022 WAR could be this high. But, indeed, his bWAR is 5.1 and his fWAR is 5.4. Yet he had only 16 HR, 64 RBI, 102 R, 3 SB. His slash line was .274/.367/.433. His BRef defensive WAR was only 0.2. Seems more like a 2 WAR year than a 5 WAR one. To me, this looks like good evidence that WAR is not a perfect statistic.
              Or perhaps evidence that a .367 OBP is really valuable? I don't know which, but it is a bit surprising he is valued so highly by war
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              ---------------------------------------------
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                Wow, I have completely the opposite reaction.

This is evidence that WAR is a really good measure - it evaluates the small pieces in several categories that all add up to a really good player - and adds them up. On the surface, random fan in the stands looks at a stat line on the scoreboard and doesn't realize how good a player is, but WAR can look past the "in your face one big stat... ahhh look at those Home Runs! so sexy" (haha) natural bias, and actually objectively analyze the data.

Comment

• Jeff McNeil is another one you wouldn't expect. Yandy Diaz too.

Turns out a high OBP is pretty important in baseball.

Comment

My Mets fan friend rightly points out that Cohen is spending 400m to put essentially the same team (or worse) on the field as last year. Verlander and Degrom is basically a wash; Ottavino/Robertson; Quintana a downgrade from Bassitt. Re-ups for a closer and a CF who rarely plays more than 70 games. Just doesnt seem like a smart franchise. Let em spend.
                    I’m biased as a Mets fan, but this is missing a key point. By spending like this — not just total dollars but the players they opted for, many of whom don’t cost draft picks — the Mets field a similar team AND keep building the farm system. I think that is very smart.

Comment

• Mets signing Japanese League SP Kodai Senga

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Mets signing Japanese League SP Kodai Senga
                        Fascinated to see how that one turns out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                          Fascinated to see how that one turns out.
                          So am I Sharky…so am I. (With a bit of cautious optimism, I might add…)
                          2021 Auction Anatomy
                          2021 Keeper Decisions
                          2020 Auction Anatomy
                          2020 Pre-Auction
                          2015 Auction Anatomy
                          2014 Auction Anatomy
                          2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                          RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                            So am I Sharky…so am I. (With a bit of cautious optimism, I might add…)
                            So you are hoping to be Senga-ing his praises?

(I'll show myself out)

Comment

• According to Cot's Contracts, the Mets' payroll for this year so far is over $344 mil! That's before luxury taxes, etc. After taxes, it is almost $420 mil!!! And they might not be done yet!!!!.

Comment

• What do all these numbers have in common?

Comment

Working...
                                X