2K24: New York Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
    It depends on the situation. Reds and Miami would not be interested because he's a rental, and what would the point of that be? A contender, well, I would imagine they would like to improve their pitching staffs, not just add a gascan.
    He's not a gascan though. He's very talented, but something is going on that's not injury related. The Mets thought they could fix whatever it was with Callaway and Eiland, but it hasn't happened yet (like it has for Wheeler & Matz). Maybe a team with a pitching guru --decidedly NOT Cincinnati -- will want a chance at fixing him and then signing him on the cheap.

He's had elevated BABIPs for three straight seasons. His BBs are down by half from last year, but he's still giving up HRs at a high rate. His Ks are down from his high water mark.

He needs to get out of NY. He took on the persona of "The Dark Knight" and let that affect him. He took advantage of his situation, partied often, dated models, and made those his priorities over pitching. A smart organization will pry him away for nothing, fix him, and get him to sign a favorable deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      He's not a gascan though. He's very talented, but something is going on that's not injury related. The Mets thought they could fix whatever it was with Callaway and Eiland, but it hasn't happened yet (like it has for Wheeler & Matz). Maybe a team with a pitching guru --decidedly NOT Cincinnati -- will want a chance at fixing him and then signing him on the cheap.

He's had elevated BABIPs for three straight seasons. His BBs are down by half from last year, but he's still giving up HRs at a high rate. His Ks are down from his high water mark.

He needs to get out of NY. He took on the persona of "The Dark Knight" and let that affect him. He took advantage of his situation, partied often, dated models, and made those his priorities over pitching. A smart organization will pry him away for nothing, fix him, and get him to sign a favorable deal.
      But do we know this? Some guys, even great pitchers, cannot survive the velocity decline that he has had. John Smoltz, for one, was great when he was throwing 94-95, but his career ended when he was down to 90-92. Lots of guys can pitch effectively with lowered velocity (although usually there is a limit: see Hernandez, Felix), but other guys can't. It tends to lead to giving up too much hard contact and inflated HR rates. It might just be physical in that sense. On the other hand, if that is the case, he might be a good target to transition to the bullpen--if he can throw 95-96 in one-inning stints, he could go back to being dominant.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
        But do we know this? Some guys, even great pitchers, cannot survive the velocity decline that he has had. John Smoltz, for one, was great when he was throwing 94-95, but his career ended when he was down to 90-92. Lots of guys can pitch effectively with lowered velocity (although usually there is a limit: see Hernandez, Felix), but other guys can't. It tends to lead to giving up too much hard contact and inflated HR rates. It might just be physical in that sense. On the other hand, if that is the case, he might be a good target to transition to the bullpen--if he can throw 95-96 in one-inning stints, he could go back to being dominant.
        That's true, he is not throwing at the same velocity, and maybe he is the type that cannot succeed with average velocity. In fact, he has not succeeded. But that said, I don't believe he is toast yet, and I think the Mets want to be rid of him already, so he can be had cheap.

Comment

• Well, I'm guessing that this is going to end well...

According to the Mets' official website, "Matt Harvey doubled down on his refusal to talk to media members Wednesday, swearing as a group of reporters questioned him at Busch Stadium. A day after making his first relief appearance of the season, Harvey laughed when the group walked up to his locker seeking comment. "No chance," Harvey said. "Zero chance." When asked why he would not speak, Harvey replied, "I have nothing to say to you guys." When asked why not, Harvey said, "I don't [expletive] want to," then walked away.

Harvey allowed one run in two innings of the Mets' 6-5 win over the Cardinals on Tuesday, his first appearance since the team moved him from the rotation to the bullpen. Through a team spokesman, he declined to comment after the game. Instead, manager Mickey Callaway, outfielder Jay Bruce and rookie catcher Tomas Nido discussed Harvey's performance. Although Callaway noted Wednesday that Harvey is within his rights not to talk, others in the organization indicated privately that they wished he had done so, thereby preventing the story of his bullpen performance from ballooning into something bigger. "We really can't do anything about that," Callaway said of Harvey's decision not to talk. "I think it's their right as a player. The rules are such. It's kind of like when we have days off, we can't make them come in and work out."
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Well, I'm guessing that this is going to end well...
            Diva gonna diva.

Comment

Well, I'm guessing that this is going to end well...
              It kinda of swimming in a pool of sharks which is pretty much a no-win situation. The only way back for Harvey is to do it on the mound. If he can't then a number of scenarios come to mind, demoted to the minors, trade or released. A change of scenery might be the best for him.

Comment

• Harvey flies to LA to party while the rest of the team flies to SD:

If Matt Harvey’s pitching hasn’t been underwhelming enough, his off-field ventures are again becoming a potential problem for the Mets. A day after Page Six reported Harvey traveled to Los Angeles …

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Harvey flies to LA to party while the rest of the team flies to SD:

https://nypost.com/2018/05/01/mets-g...veys-partying/
                  If its one-way, I am sure the Mets would be okay with it.
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• deGrom hyperextended right elbow, leaves game early
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      deGrom hyperextended right elbow, leaves game early

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                        Plus one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          Plus one.
                          Yep. I thought my 12-team NL Only triumvirate of Kershaw/deGrom/Cueto was unassailable.

"The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
                          Gang aft agley..."

Comment

• wow, that seems/seemed like overkill actually
                            were you going to trade one for a bat at midseason?
                            and how many units for 3 (great) SP?
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Hurt his elbow...wait for it...swinging the bat.

DH now...both leagues, no more pitchers batting.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Hurt his elbow...wait for it...swinging the bat.

DH now...both leagues, no more pitchers batting.
                                That's right Ohtani, do you hear that? Stop it!

Comment

Working...
                                X