2K24: Milwaukee Brewers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    The question is, do they compare to a trio that each has a 180 ERA+ or better?
    On that metric, no, they do not. Not even close.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I totally get that (does not compare on ERA+). Just saying they deserve a mention among top trios.

Also worth considering: ERA+, like ERA, is a rate stat. DeGrom has an ERA+ of 372 this year. 372! And I’m a huge DeGrom fan. But he has done that for 92 IP. ERA+ fails to capture that the impact is over fewer innings. And in my view that’s a big miss. It’s why 5x5 roto captures ERA and Ks, BA and HR.

The Brewers trio is awesome. And I hope we see them for a long time. Just not against the Mets!

Comment

• And then there's Brett Anderson.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
          On that metric, no, they do not. Not even close.
          What’s the best metric to compare pitchers across eras? WAR? ERA+? I’m curious to see how these three will compare once the season is done.

Comment

• 1986 Mets SP WAR
            Ojeda 4.7
            Darling 4.6
            Gooden 4.5
            Fernandez 2.6

1986 Brewers SP WAR so far
            Woodruff 4.9
            Burnes 4.1
            Peralta 3.9
            Houser 0.9

the Brewers top 3 has thrown 36.8 percent of the team's IP so far
            the 1986 Mets top 3 threw 47.5 percent of the team's IP
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

What’s the best metric to compare pitchers across eras? WAR? ERA+? I’m curious to see how these three will compare once the season is done.
              Many of best rotations of all times threw more innings than the 3 Brewers. I also think hitting has become a lost art and I'm guessing here but it seems like it all or nothing with players for instance Duvall or Gallo are considered good players. But that is the era we are in and doesn't take away from the Brewer's trio. I'll leave it to the experts to compare them.

Comment

• Those three will be hard to beat in a short playoff series.

Comment

• pitcher and how it compares to his career high in MLB IP:

Woodruff - 140 IP, already a career high at age 28 (previous high 122 IP in 2019)
                  Burnes - 121 IP, already a career high at age 26 (previous high 60 IP in 2020*)
                  Peralta - 119 IP, already a career high at age 25 (previous high 85 IP in 2019)

if they each only toss 35 more IP in 2021, then it's 485 IP this season vs 267 in their previous career highs

* fwiw, that's 60 IP in 60 G
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Tough to say. ERA+ is pretty enlightening in order to show just how much better they have been than the rest of the league at preventing earned runs. I suppose some of the other elite trifectas over baseball's history will have many more IP when all is said and done and, therefore, will have better WARs. But these three are essentially unmatched thus far and as far as I can tell it's not even close, not even with the '95 or '98 Braves or any of the all-time rotations.
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Judge Jude's innings count is a good heads up for fantasy managers, especially those in H2H leagues. I doubt the Brewers are going to push their top three much at all in the next six weeks.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• According to fangraphs, the Brewers trio already has a WAR of 12.7. That’s amazing and exceeds the top trio for the 1986 Mets (for example). Interestingly, Sid “El Cid” Fernandez had the #2 WAR among Mets pitchers that year, despite higher ERA, higher WHIP, and fewer IP than the trio I mentioned earlier (Gooden, Darling, Ojeda). That’s strange, so clearly I don’t know WAR!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                          According to fangraphs, the Brewers trio already has a WAR of 12.7. That’s amazing and exceeds the top trio for the 1986 Mets (for example). Interestingly, Sid “El Cid” Fernandez had the #2 WAR among Mets pitchers that year, despite higher ERA, higher WHIP, and fewer IP than the trio I mentioned earlier (Gooden, Darling, Ojeda). That’s strange, so clearly I don’t know WAR!
                          What is it good for

Comment

• I would not use fWAR for older-era pitchers. The assumption behind fWAR is that pitchers don't have any control over outcomes on balls in play. That kinda sorta maybe works a little bit, though not really, in the current high-strikeout era. It works less well in older eras.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              What is it good for
                              Absolutely nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                                Absolutely nothing.
                                Say it again!

Comment

Working...
                                X