2K24: Chicago Cubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
    That doesn't jive with the super-two conceit that has occurred recently. I don't know all the ins and outs of the rule, but it seems to be the standard for which highly qualified young studs are deprived of their moolah.
    I suspect that this rule becomes an impasse (strike?) during the next CBA negotiation. Under the current rules, some players have to be past their prime before they get a big contract. The new commissioner will have his work cut out for him on this issue.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

That doesn't jive with the super-two conceit that has occurred recently. I don't know all the ins and outs of the rule, but it seems to be the standard for which highly qualified young studs are deprived of their moolah.
      It's not really deprived as much as delayed. It's a way for the clubs to get an extra year of control before the player is eligible for arbitration, from the way I understand it. And the other rule doesn't affect the super two status, but does give the club and extra year of control before free agency kicks in...essentially giving the club 7 years rather than 6. Again, there are other on the board MUCH better versed than I am in this area.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

In an average year there are 183 service days in a major-league season, 162 games and 21 off days. If you accrue 172 days in any season, it is considered a full year. Six full years gets you to free agency. Five years and 170 days does not. If the Cubs wait 12 days into the 2015 season to call up Bryant, he would finish 2015 with less than one year of service time, 171 days total. The smart play is controlling Kris Bryant for seven years, not six. The Cubs are smart and my money is on Bryant making his major-league debut April 17th at Wrigley Field versus the Padres.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
          In an average year there are 183 service days in a major-league season, 162 games and 21 off days. If you accrue 172 days in any season, it is considered a full year. Six full years gets you to free agency. Five years and 170 days does not. If the Cubs wait 12 days into the 2015 season to call up Bryant, he would finish 2015 with less than one year of service time, 171 days total.
          Yeah, a few weeks of AAA should be enough to improve his defense at 3B and cut down on his strikeouts (sarcasm directed at Cubs).
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
            Yeah, a few weeks of AAA should be enough to improve his defense at 3B and cut down on his strikeouts (sarcasm directed at Cubs).
            The Cubs are unlikely to contend this year--improve, yes; contend, no--so playing the Super Two game is a smart move. I predict he'll be up in early May.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
              The Cubs are unlikely to contend this year--improve, yes; contend, no--so playing the Super Two game is a smart move. I predict he'll be up in early May.
              Vegas has the Cubs sitting 6th in MLB at 14-1, so they clearly believe they're contenders.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Vegas has the Cubs sitting 6th in MLB at 14-1, so they clearly enjoy taking bets on public teams from suckers.
                Fixed that for you

Comment

• So how soon do you think we see Addison Russell? According to reports, he has been impressive this spring, both at bat and in the field (hitting .462). I mean, yeah if Bryant isn't coming up right away, Russell isn't either. But if Russell looks real good at SS and can hit, they've gotta trade Castro sooner rather than later, no?

Truth in advertising: I have Russell in my NL only (deep rosters) - he was $7 in his contract year heading into keepers last week - and at the last minute I decided to extend him a year...so Im invested in the next 2 years of Russell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                    So how soon do you think we see Addison Russell? According to reports, he has been impressive this spring, both at bat and in the field (hitting .462). I mean, yeah if Bryant isn't coming up right away, Russell isn't either. But if Russell looks real good at SS and can hit, they've gotta trade Castro sooner rather than later, no?

Truth in advertising: I have Russell in my NL only (deep rosters) - he was $7 in his contract year heading into keepers last week - and at the last minute I decided to extend him a year...so Im invested in the next 2 years of Russell.
                    Why not throw him back and try to buy him for the same as an extension cost (if your league is like mine, you'll be getting an extra year) or, better yet since he is likely to start in the minors, even cheaper !?

Comment

• Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                      Why not throw him back and try to buy him for the same as an extension cost (if your league is like mine, you'll be getting an extra year) or, better yet since he is likely to start in the minors, even cheaper !?
                      too late for that

Comment

• Two more bombs today for Bryant, including one off Felix Hernandez

Comment

Two more bombs today for Bryant, including one off Felix Hernandez
                          For a young guy like Bryant, it is nice to see him succeeding, but in general, I hate it when my studs go off in ST. My theory is no player can sustain that level of hotness forever, so to me, being hot in ST is just wasted production.

Comment

Two more bombs today for Bryant, including one off Felix Hernandez
                            Somebody needs to tell this guy that he's facing tougher competition now.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Javier Baez looks more and more lost at the plate. With Arismendy Alcantara (and Tommy La Stella) playing well and very capable at 2B, I'm starting to have my doubts about Baez being on the major league roster to start the year. And that doesn't even factor in Addison Russell.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                                If i keep Baez, i was thinking of stashing him on my bench until he shows the ability to hit at least .250.
                                I don't think i'm keeping Baez now. The Cubs must be thinking it too. He just seems lost at the plate and may need an entire season in the minors. And i have some cheaper SP options to replace him with.

edit: Wow Ryno, we made similar posts on Baez at almost the same time. Scary.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X