Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Big time.

Color me slightly surprised, because I thought that his excellent defense would provide a relatively high floor for Heyward. I just didn't realize how low his offense could sink, apparently. For the first time in his career, Jason Heyward was worth less than replacement with the bat. He only accumulated 1.6 WAR this year despite providing 15.4 runs worth of defense.

Heyward has historically had some troubles with breaking balls, but this year he was well below average against pretty much every type of pitch, including fastballs (-8.7 runs).

What the hell happened to this guy? Remember how excited everyone was back when he was a rookie?
    He looked so dejected and lost by the end of the series. His last at bat against Bauer he swung twice on pitches that bounced before the plate because he had been reduced to guessing fastball instead of doing something more competent.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
      He looked so dejected and lost by the end of the series. His last at bat against Bauer he swung twice on pitches that bounced before the plate because he had been reduced to guessing fastball instead of doing something more competent.
      It was painful to watch, but he did make some great defensive plays, and the other OF options were not producing any offense either.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        It was painful to watch, but he did make some great defensive plays, and the other OF options were not producing any offense either.
        He also seemed to give an inspiring speech. That is a high price to pay for a motivational speaker though.

Comment

• http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/at-last

the great Roger Angell, giving away his age. this is the writer who once attended a Cape Cod League game where youngsters Frank Viola and Ron Darling held one of the great pitching duels one will ever see - and by happenstance he watched in the stands with Smoky Joe Wood, who debuted in MLB in 1908 (!) and won 34 games for the 1912 WS champion Red Sox.

well, he wrote about last night:

"We will see these youthful champions in the post-season for years to come, I believe. Their infield has a combined age of ninety-six — my own age, as it happens — as good a young bunch as I can recall.

Bryant, the third baseman and coming National League M.V.P., goes six feet five and bats from a spread-legged crouch that expands magically into a sudden tall tree with the skyward bat at its top. He’s also swift. That sprint of his around the bases from first reminded you of a clip from the Olympics.

The shortstop, Addison Russell, who is twenty-two, batted in six runs in Game 6.

Báez, at second, patrols his environs with a feline muscularity.

Twenty-seven-year-old Anthony Rizzo, the first baseman, bats left, and may prove to be the best of the quartet — with any luck, a future Hall of Famer whose best years await us....

"Quieter scenes remain from this famous evening. There was an instant where we saw, amid a row of standees, Jack Epstein held in the right arm of his dad, Theo, the Cubs’ president (and the inventor and curator of this team), his arm around his dad’s neck and everyone’s eyes fixed on the doings below. Later, Manager Terry Francona’s post-season interview in the silent Cleveland clubhouse was a model of grace and generosity, but standard for him.

I also caught a very late parting glimpse of Joe Maddon visiting a trio of broadcasters — with the now empty stands as backdrop—accompanied by his wife, Jaye Sousoures. He introduced her formally to each of them but kept hold of her other hand or linked arm all the while. The season was over at last."

dammit is that beautiful....
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Heyward is going to rebuild his swing from scratch this offf-season.
            It's the same swing he hit .293/ .359/ .439 with 2 years ago, isn't it? A complete rebuild seems like overkill - you'd think some tape review and a simple adjustment might be the first line of attack. I can understand the desperation, though. I cringed watching him hit this post-season, whiffing helplessly at low-90's fastballs. I really pitied the guy.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Big time.

Color me slightly surprised, because I thought that his excellent defense would provide a relatively high floor for Heyward. I just didn't realize how low his offense could sink, apparently. For the first time in his career, Jason Heyward was worth less than replacement with the bat. He only accumulated 1.6 WAR this year despite providing 15.4 runs worth of defense.

Heyward has historically had some troubles with breaking balls, but this year he was well below average against pretty much every type of pitch, including fastballs (-8.7 runs).

What the hell happened to this guy? Remember how excited everyone was back when he was a rookie?
              I had him as a prospect, needed to trade him to make a run. Tried hard to get him back but could not. Now he is so bad he is almost non-rosterable.

It will be interesting how much he will go for in our NL only 12 team keeper next year.

Comment

• Our old friend borass is up to it again. This time he is comparing, imo one year wonder, arrieta and his almost 3 mph loss of velocity, to long term elite success pitchers such as kershaw and sherzer.

I just don't see the huge mega bucks deal this winter but perhaps there is a GM out there who is going to look back at 2015 and think "hmmm, even though that was 3 years ago, maybe we can fix him".

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  Our old friend borass is up to it again. This time he is comparing, imo one year wonder, arrieta and his almost 3 mph loss of velocity, to long term elite success pitchers such as kershaw and sherzer.

I just don't see the huge mega bucks deal this winter but perhaps there is a GM out there who is going to look back at 2015 and think "hmmm, even though that was 3 years ago, maybe we can fix him".
                  That's his job though and it only takes one sucker.

Comment

• Arrieta has cost himself tens of millions of dollars so far. He got greedy and should have taken the Cubs offer. As a Cubs fan, I'm glad he didn't.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                      That's his job though and it only takes one sucker.
                      ....as he looks to the bright lights of New York and sees CC Sabathia and Alex Rodriguez and their $46 million coming off the books......

Comment

• Addison Russell has had a disastrous season so far. Just a whole lot of nothin' outta him.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Addison Russell has had a disastrous season so far. Just a whole lot of nothin' outta him.
                          The Cubs entire team looks like they are suffering from a World Series hangover. But thanks to their weak division, they don't really have to start trying until September to win it again.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Any one have an idea about what's been wrong with Arrieta and what we could/should expect for the rest of the season?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              Any one have an idea about what's been wrong with Arrieta and what we could/should expect for the rest of the season?
                              It seems to me Arrieta is a bit of a head case. He seems to press when things are going badly which makes it worse. Losing for the Cubs, losing in a contract year it would be natural to try harder and that will not help.

I hope for better things, but I fear they are not coming for him.

From a fantasy perspective I would not give very much to find out if he can right the ship.

Comment

• Cubs send Kyle Schwarber to Triple-A Iowa

Comment

Working...
                                X