Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    What did Hammel do to piss off Maddon?
    Nothing. Both own Schwarber at catcher in seperate keeper leagues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Nothing. Both own Schwarber at catcher in seperate keeper leagues.
      that would actually make more sense.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• they want Hammel to teach Schwarber how to call games, plus I think any of us on RJ could call Hammel.....this just in, I'm not calling for the "fastball"...
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• almost too nervous about the Cubs this year to read this thread. I haven't seen this optimism since the mid 80s.

Comment

• How much time can we expect Baez to get once he returns from the DL with Schwarber out for the year?

Comment

• Originally posted by jamesfredette View Post
              How much time can we expect Baez to get once he returns from the DL with Schwarber out for the year?
              I think that will depend on whether Soler can get hot soon or not. If he gets hot and helps them win some games, he may establish himself as the primary LFer, leaving less ABs for Baez. But if he struggles, Baez has the opportunity to earn himself a lot of playing time. Both players have the talent to be real difference makers. I own Soler, so that is who I am rooting for.

Comment

• Is there anything to like about Soler for 2016? I have someone offering me Soler for Villar in my NL only (OBP league) so I drilled down on Soler and between the really bad numbers and the Cubs willingness to use Bryant in LF, Soler looks like a lost cause.

Enlighten me here.
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  Is there anything to like about Soler for 2016? I have someone offering me Soler for Villar in my NL only (OBP league) so I drilled down on Soler and between the really bad numbers and the Cubs willingness to use Bryant in LF, Soler looks like a lost cause.

Enlighten me here.
                  I'm very disappointed in Soler's performance. He is blowing a golden opportunity. That said, he still has time to turn things around and prove to the Cubs he is worthy of significant ABs. I think he is capable of doing that, and the upside is still there to make him way more valuable than Villar. Depending on league size and needs, I think Soler is worth the gamble. You won't find the evidence to support that gamble in this year's stats, but his previous stats and scouting reports support making the move.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    I'm very disappointed in Soler's performance. He is blowing a golden opportunity. That said, he still has time to turn things around and prove to the Cubs he is worthy of significant ABs. I think he is capable of doing that, and the upside is still there to make him way more valuable than Villar. Depending on league size and needs, I think Soler is worth the gamble. You won't find the evidence to support that gamble in this year's stats, but his previous stats and scouting reports support making the move.
                    Its really more about a sense that the Cubs dont like him much anymore than the small sample size. I could be off though. From an outsiders perspective, they paid a ton to bring Heyward in and then re-signed Fowler, both understandable but both negatively affecting Soler. Now the guy cant become a full time starter despite Schwarber going down, with the likes of Sczcer and La stella robbing PT from him.
                    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Its really more about a sense that the Cubs dont like him much anymore than the small sample size. I could be off though. From an outsiders perspective, they paid a ton to bring Heyward in and then re-signed Fowler, both understandable but both negatively affecting Soler. Now the guy cant become a full time starter despite Schwarber going down, with the likes of Sczcer and La stella robbing PT from him.
                      See, that's the thing--you may be right in how the Cubs saw Soler in relation to those other guys, but when Schwarber went down, the whole dynamic changed. Guys like Sczcer and La Stella are not real roadblocks to Soler. Baez might be if he starts going off, but there is still an opportunity for Soler to show his skills. He is still getting starts and ABs, and I believe the Cubs think he is worth giving more chances to for the foreseeable future. They know that if Soler can maximize his talent, he offers then so much more than those bench scrubs.

All he needs to do is get hot. If he goes off for even a few weeks, I think they will see that as enough evidence to then stick with him if/when he gets cold again. I'm waiting/hoping for that to happen. Maybe it won't, but if it does, you will be extremely sorry you passed on this deal. If you do the deal and Soler flops, losing Villar won't hurt nearly as much.

Comment

See, that's the thing--you may be right in how the Cubs saw Soler in relation to those other guys, but when Schwarber went down, the whole dynamic changed. Guys like Sczcer and La Stella are not real roadblocks to Soler. Baez might be if he starts going off, but there is still an opportunity for Soler to show his skills. He is still getting starts and ABs, and I believe the Cubs think he is worth giving more chances to for the foreseeable future. They know that if Soler can maximize his talent, he offers then so much more than those bench scrubs.

All he needs to do is get hot. If he goes off for even a few weeks, I think they will see that as enough evidence to then stick with him if/when he gets cold again. I'm waiting/hoping for that to happen. Maybe it won't, but if it does, you will be extremely sorry you passed on this deal. If you do the deal and Soler flops, losing Villar won't hurt nearly as much.
                        good points. I appreciate the input.

Comment

• And from the Villar point of view, in about 4-6 weeks he could very well turn into a utility player. Once Orlando Arcia comes up, Villar might supplant Aaron Hill at 3B, but that's questionable.

I have my doubts about Soler also, but I'd take a shot on him if the cost is a guy who has a 50/50 chance of being a utility player in a few weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            And from the Villar point of view, in about 4-6 weeks he could very well turn into a utility player. Once Orlando Arcia comes up, Villar might supplant Aaron Hill at 3B, but that's questionable.

I have my doubts about Soler also, but I'd take a shot on him if the cost is a guy who has a 50/50 chance of being a utility player in a few weeks.
                            Yeah, Arcia just had a monster day in AAA. he is right on track for a June call up.

Comment

Yeah, Arcia just had a monster day in AAA. he is right on track for a June call up.
                              its what prompted me to start shopping Villar.

Comment

its what prompted me to start shopping Villar.
                                I figured it was because his favorite food is carne asada a la cazuela.

Comment

Working...
                                X