Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    A good thing for Maddon and Soriano?
    Certainly for Soriano...he finally has a job. For Maddon? Maybe, maybe not...depends on if Sori pitches like the guy last September, or the guy the 1st half of the year.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• can anyone explain WTF Maddon is doing with Rondon? He's been pretty damn effective.

Comment

• Realistically, I don't know, but his last two games before he lost his job were kind of shaky. I can't see deciding on two games unless Maddon just didn't like him though.

June 4: deep fly out, single, walk, line out, pickoff catcher to first while Rondon was behind in the count
        June 6: walked the first guy and didn't look like he could throw strikes, immediately pulled
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• I'm hating this situation. Tying up roster spots with Rondon, Strop, and Motte to try to lock down the Cubs''saves. Now do I worry about Soriano too? What a mess! Makes me want to drop saves as a category and go 5x4 next year. Or replace saves with saves+holds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
            I'm hating this situation. Tying up roster spots with Rondon, Strop, and Motte to try to lock down the Cubs''saves. Now do I worry about Soriano too? What a mess! Makes me want to drop saves as a category and go 5x4 next year. Or replace saves with saves+holds.
            Solds (Saves + Holds) are the way to go, I think...it's just such a huge pain in the ass, year after year, to try and figure out the motivations of certain managers. I posted earlier in either this thread, or the closer thread, that Rondon had been pitching really well for the prior couple of weeks. Dropped his ERA and WHIP way down from where they were, and then that bizarre situation where he was pulled after one walk. Followed by that weird tirade from Maddon about "Millennials"...gezzus, what a "get off my lawn" moment.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• I've got my K-Rod 2 and Ziegler 1 buys from last year + picked up Ramos as a FA in late April. what's not to like about SV? you can spend only a couple of bucks and win a category

[ducks]
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                I'm hating this situation. Tying up roster spots with Rondon, Strop, and Motte to try to lock down the Cubs''saves. Now do I worry about Soriano too? What a mess! Makes me want to drop saves as a category and go 5x4 next year. Or replace saves with saves+holds.
                Or Saves + Handfuls of Hair Yanked Out
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• The Cubs plan to use prospect Kyle Schwarber as the designated hitter for six games when they oppose American League teams on the road, reports the Chicago Tribune.
                  Schwarber will also be used as a pinch hitter and third catcher before being sent back to the minors.

more detail: http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...six-game-stint

He's being promoted to AAA after this.
                  Last edited by mjl; 06-16-2015, 12:50 AM.
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• So if Schwarber doesn't come back up he could end up DH-only eligible in a lot of leagues next year.

Comment

• that's a rule that needs to be fixed. we allow the main position in MLB, any other with 15+ games, plus his main minor league position if different.

am always mystified why leagues like to handcuff themselves into a preposterous situation like you are describing.

"yeah, he's a catcher, but he's not eligible there because..... well, because."

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        that's a rule that needs to be fixed. we allow the main position in MLB, any other with 15+ games, plus his main minor league position if different.

am always mystified why leagues like to handcuff themselves into a preposterous situation like you are describing.

"yeah, he's a catcher, but he's not eligible there because..... well, because that is where he played the most in major league baseball ."
                        fixed

Comment

• not sure what the "fix" is supposed to be, but if you have a draft where a catcher can't be drafted as a catcher, that's not something I'd brag about. everyone knows he's a catcher; that's where he has played most of his games this season, which pretty much is the definition of what position someone plays.

now, if you think that under the offered scenario that Schwarber is truly a DH and not a C, then I can't help you.

this isn't complicated, is it?

common sense need not be feared.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                            not sure what the "fix" is supposed to be, but if you have a draft where a catcher can't be drafted as a catcher, that's not something I'd brag about. everyone knows he's a catcher; that's where he has played most of his games this season, which pretty much is the definition of what position someone plays.

now, if you think that under the offered scenario that Schwarber is truly a DH and not a C, then I can't help you.

this isn't complicated, is it?

common sense need not be feared.
                            Correct, common sense need not be feared. If a player played in the major leagues the previous season and your league determines eligibility based on the previous season major league games played, then he should be eligible at the position he played.

Now, if you want to play the 'but he is suppose/expected to play at this position' game in the majors, while, that's good for your league but not mine. We go by major league games the previous season, since, you know, we don't count minor league games or stats.

Comment

• Just use minor league games played by position as well, my league does. If you play 20 games at a position in the minors the year before you qualify there the next year (you can't combine levels though). It's that simple.
                              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                                The Cubs plan to use prospect Kyle Schwarber as the designated hitter for six games when they oppose American League teams on the road, reports the Chicago Tribune.
                                Schwarber will also be used as a pinch hitter and third catcher before being sent back to the minors.

more detail: http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...six-game-stint

He's being promoted to AAA after this.
                                Just traded for him in my NL only league. Kimbrel who is done this year for Schwarber.

Kind of stoked.

Comment

Working...
                                X