No announcement yet.

2K24: Chicago Cubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess now that Bryant has his first game in the books, the MLBPA can start filing the grievance papers to take back that extra year of control that the Cubs gained by demoting him for 12 days. Scott Boras was probably calling the union office after the first pitch.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
      I guess now that Bryant has his first game in the books, the MLBPA can start filing the grievance papers to take back that extra year of control that the Cubs gained by demoting him for 12 days. Scott Boras was probably calling the union office after the first pitch.
      That grievance would go no where, especially with the almost perfect timing of Olt's injury creating the "need" for a 3B

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
        That grievance would go no where, especially with the almost perfect timing of Olt's injury creating the "need" for a 3B
        I forgot about Olt (easy to do). Yeah, i guess that takes care of that.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
          I guess now that Bryant has his first game in the books, the MLBPA can start filing the grievance papers to take back that extra year of control that the Cubs gained by demoting him for 12 days. Scott Boras was probably calling the union office after the first pitch.
          It's pretty amusing that Boras would be so vocal about this since it really makes him look hypocritical. How many times has he advised draftees to hold out for a better contract, perhaps missing a year of their career? How many times has he advised draftees to forego the contract and go back to school -- even at a risk that they stood a chance at getting drafted lower? And how many times did he use loopholes in contract language to his advantage (i.e. in the mid 1990s when he freed Travis Lee and others from team control?)

The Cubs did what they had to do. Boras always does what he has to do. End of story.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Went for $69.
            did you bid at all? I threw out a token 35 since now whomever got him at 70 is going to have a hell of a time working around the cap.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I would love to see the underbidder amounts. My $69 bid was to the dollar what I could fit in my active, with Bryant going active and V Martinez moving to reserve, as it appears Martinez cranky knees arent going to let him go full beast mode till after AS break. Our 320 active pre AS cap is fine, park a couple slow starters in T Walker and V Martinez in reserve where those salaries dont count & hurt no one.

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                I would love to see the underbidder amounts. My $69 bid was to the dollar what I could fit in my active, with Bryant going active and V Martinez moving to reserve, as it appears Martinez cranky knees arent going to let him go full beast mode till after AS break. Our 320 active pre AS cap is fine, park a couple slow starters in T Walker and V Martinez in reserve where those salaries dont count & hurt no one.
                maybe we can work a trade for ol cranky knees.....
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  I bid $53. That would have put me right at the cap.
                  good thing this is an OBP league Bryant might lead the league....

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I'm really impressed with Bryant's approach so far. Just taking what little the pitchers are giving him right now and not trying to do too much. Keep dropping in those singles and doubles and taking the walks. The long balls will be there eventually.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Kris Bryant starting in CF today

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
                        Kris Bryant starting in CF today
                        Have they abandoned the 3B experiment already? I can't believe Bryant is really athletic enough to stick in CF so maybe this is just a 1-game thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          Have they abandoned the 3B experiment already? I can't believe Bryant is really athletic enough to stick in CF so maybe this is just a 1-game thing?
                          This should be a short term thing. Fowler picked up a groin injury last night, Alcantara was sent down to make room for Addison Russell, and the Cubs are facing a LHP today (which they are trying to not let Coghlan face). It is being done today to put 8 RH hitters into the lineup (Rizzo is the only lefty).

If Fowler has to be DLed, I expect that Matt Szczur would be brought back up to man CF most days. Bryant said after yesterday's game that he preferred playing CF over LF or RF in college as he could read the ball movement there better.

Comment

• Thinking of buying Alcantara low. I traded him last year, and his current owner is bitter he got sent down. I can get him fairly cheap at this point, but should I bother? What is his path back to the majors and to regular playing time? Is his best case at this point being a super utility guy who plays 4-5 times a week, and if so, will he even get to that point by the end of May?

If I have to wait awhile for AA to even become a utility player, he probably isn't worth me pursuing in a 14 team mixed league.
                            Last edited by Sour Masher; 04-27-2015, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• Short of a Fowler injury, I just don't see it. I really like AA in a keeper league as a buy low, but in a 14-team redraft league I just don't think he has much value. If you have deep benches, sure, but other than that Id pass
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                                Short of a Fowler injury, I just don't see it. I really like AA in a keeper league as a buy low, but in a 14-team redraft league I just don't think he has much value. If you have deep benches, sure, but other than that Id pass
                                Yep, or unless you are a die hard Cubs fan with a bench spot.

Comment

Working...
                                X