No announcement yet.

2K24: Seattle Mariners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Training will dictate that story. Zunino is still going to be the better defensive catcher, but Montero has the better upside at the plate. He could also become a trade chip for someone because he's really a DH and they just gave a 4 year deal to a DH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      Spring Training will dictate that story. Zunino is still going to be the better defensive catcher, but Montero has the better upside at the plate. He could also become a trade chip for someone because he's really a DH and they just gave a 4 year deal to a DH.
      Thanks. I got Montero as a throw in during a dump deal at the end of last season. He is $10 bucks (AL only 5x5 $260 budget). I was planning on cutting him, but this type of news makes me at least pause and wonder what if? I hope he is either a monster in spring training or a total bust.

Comment

• I can't keep Montero at $10, even with the lost weight. Playing time is too clouded

Comment

• Montero has quit catching, so there's zero chance he gets an opportunity behind the plate unless it's an emergency. To further muddy the waters, as Jason said, the M's signed Nelson Cruz to a 4-year deal, and he's a natural fit at DH (Montero's natural "position"). The M's also just signed Rickie Weeks who could see time at 1st base, Montero's most recent position in the minors, in a platoon fit with Logan Morrison. In other words, most of the immediate fits for Montero are filled.

However, every single one of those situations is fluid due to injury risk. Logan Morrison has only exceeded 365 plate appearances once in his career. Nelson Cruz is obviously injury prone. Rickie Weeks isn't the picture of perfect health either. From everything I've heard, though, the plan is to let Montero play his way into the majors again. They're not going to give him a shot (even if injury dictates they might) unless he continues to show progress both with his weight as well as at the plate in the minors/Spring Training. I think Zduriencik wants Montero to prove himself and to earn a shot, and I don't think that happens out of Spring Training. I could see a scenario where Montero gets 300+ plate appearances at 1st and DH this year due to injuries, but I doubt he's with the team until May at the earliest.

Comment

• Chris Taylor broke his wrist and is out 4-to-6 weeks, thus handing Brad Miller the SS job.

Comment

• You are Taijuan Walker, you are the team's top prospect, you have proven all that you can in the minors, Seattle won't trade you no matter what studs other teams offer, you have been electric in the spring, and yet the 5th starters job is not yours yet? Nothing against Elias, but this is a no-brainer to everyone except McClendon...

Roenis Elias and Taijuan Walker will each get one more spring start to win the fifth spot in the Mariners' starting rotation. Manager Lloyd McClendon said that he would make his decision before the final week of camp, meaning that RHP Walker and LHP Elias will have time for one appearance each. Elias is 0-1 with a 3.86 ERA this spring. Opposing batters are hitting .383 off of him. Walker is 1-0 and has not allowed a run in 12 spring innings. He's allowed four hits, for a .100 opponents' average, and struck out 13. That doesn't mean the job is his, however.

"My evaluation is probably a little different than yours. I don't worry about the numbers per se," McClendon said, per Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fan...taijuan-walker

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
                You are Taijuan Walker, you are the team's top prospect, you have proven all that you can in the minors, Seattle won't trade you no matter what studs other teams offer, you have been electric in the spring, and yet the 5th starters job is not yours yet? Nothing against Elias, but this is a no-brainer to everyone except McClendon...
                I hope Bodz doesn't hurt himself banging his head on his desk....
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• I assume this has something to do with service time. TW will be starting for Seattle as soon as it makes economic sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    I assume this has something to do with service time. TW will be starting for Seattle as soon as it makes economic sense.
                    Unlikely, haven't seen that mentioned anywhere. He has already been up for parts of 2013 and 2014, and no longer has rookie status.

Comment

Unlikely, haven't seen that mentioned anywhere. He has already been up for parts of 2013 and 2014, and no longer has rookie status.
                      If there is no service time consequences, I can see no earthly reason not to start Walker in the rotation to start the year.

Comment

• Maybe it has something to do with options?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          Maybe it has something to do with options?
                          Nope, both Roenis Elias and Taijuan Walker have options remaining

Comment

Rookie status presumably has nothing to do it.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• The M's stand to gain another year of team control on Roenis Elias if they send him to the minors for at least a couple weeks. With that fact combined with Walker's stellar Spring, I don't think this is really a question. Walker's going to get the gig. Bank on it.

Comment

• Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said Sunday that Brett Cecil will be the team's closer to start the year.
                                It was the expected choice, but the confirmation gives fantasy owners some appreciated clarity. The decision also affects Aaron Sanchez, who will now certainly move forward as a starter. Cecil, a lefty, had a 2.70 ERA and 76/27 K/BB ratio over 53 1/3 innings for the Jays last season.- per RotoWorld

Comment

Working...
                                X