No announcement yet.

2K24: Seattle Mariners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Gamel out 4-to-6 weeks with an oblique injury.

Comment

• And the Mariners are reportedly close to bringing Ichiro back on a one year deal.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
        And the Mariners are reportedly close to bringing Ichiro back on a one year deal.
        Fitting. Ichiro may not get his due years down the line. He may be seen as just another guy who hung on to long to get to 3000 hits. Had he started his career in MLB rather than come over at 27, I firmly believe he would have ended up at least 3rd on the all time hits leader board, and possible atop it, if everything broke right for him. He'd likely also have cracked the top 10 in stolen bases. And he had a K rate that would have made DiMaggio proud. And almost as an after-thought to his offensive talent, he had a shockingly good arm early in his career. I remember the first time I saw him gun someone down his rookie year, it just surprised me that a guy his size could rocket the ball in like that.

Truly a unique talent--at least, I've never seen a player quite like him before or since. We label big swing players 3 outcome guys--walk, strike out, or homer. Ichiro was a one outcome guy--dude just hit. Never walked, and hardly ever Ked. Just a man who knew how to put barrel on ball more often than most in history. Up there with Gwynn with that skill in terms of players I've lived to see.
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-06-2018, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Fitting. Ichiro may not get his due years down the line. He may be seen as just another guy who hung on to long to get to 3000 hits. Had he started his career in MLB rather than come over at 27, I firmly believe he would have ended up at least 3rd on the all time hits leader board, and possible atop it, if everything broke right for him. He'd likely also have cracked the top 10 in stolen bases. And he had a K rate that would have made DiMaggio proud. And almost as an after-thought to his offensive talent, he had a shockingly good arm early in his career. I remember the first time I saw him gun someone down his rookie year, it just surprised me that a guy his size could rocket the ball in like that.

Truly a unique talent--at least, I've never seen a player quite like him before or since. We label big swing players 3 outcome guys--walk, strike out, or homer. Ichiro was a one outcome guy--dude just hit. Never walked, and hardly ever Ked. Just a man who knew how to put barrel on ball more often than most in history. Up there with Gwynn with that skill in terms of players I've lived to see.
          several years ago I had Jays tix on field level down the first base line sitting right beside the kid who sits on a stool & catches foul grounders & warms up the right fielder between innings; he was an older kid, maybe 15 ... I asked him if any players ever scare him when playing catch because of how hard they throw - only one, Ichiro.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Nelson Cruz hurt his ankle slipping on the dugout steps after a 2-run homer. Severity TBD, though X-Rays were clean.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Ichiro Suzuki has played his last game in MLB and has transitioned into a front office role. He officially finishes with 3,089 hits and a .311 average.

Comment

• That's a shame. They should at least activate him for one more game and have an Ichiro day. But yeah, father time gets them all sooner or later.

Comment

• Hit King.
                  One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

• I turned on the radio last night because I heard Paxton had 16k's thru 7, ended up hearing what was Ichiro's last at bat. Word on the radio today was that he had not officially retired and the Mariners open next season in Japan, so wouldn't be to big a shock if he at least plays one more game for the Mariners
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Ichiro Suzuki has played his last game in MLB and has transitioned into a front office role. He officially finishes with 3,089 hits and a .311 average.
                      Not only did Ichiro have great baseball skills, but he also had such great respect for the game and the other players. He always hustled and played the game at a higher level than a lot of other players without taunting or showboating. That's why you never heard anyone have anything bad to say about him. Because Ichiro earned everyone's respect. I agree that Ichiro deserves a retirement ceremony from the Mariners.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• If I had any doubts, Ichiro just locked down my HOF vote:

I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          If I had any doubts, Ichiro just locked down my HOF vote:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tom-bra...155301085.html
                          My greatest highlight of baseball fandom was when I paid to bring my two longest and dearest friends out to Northern California to see the All-Star Game at AT&T in 2007. Chief among all the memories we made that week was watching Ichiro hit the first inside-the-park homerun in All-Star Game history.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                            My greatest highlight of baseball fandom was when I paid to bring my two longest and dearest friends out to Northern California to see the All-Star Game at AT&T in 2007. Chief among all the memories we made that week was watching Ichiro hit the first inside-the-park homerun in All-Star Game history.
                            Sweet!

Comment

• My Favorite Ichiro Quote:

A doubleheader between the Mariners and the Indians in Cleveland on Tuesday brings to mind one of the greatest baseball quotes of all time. In April 2007, a four-game series between the teams had been canceled because of a snowstorm, and the games were being made up piecemeal as the season went along. On June 11, a Monday, the Mariners used a scheduled off day to visit Cleveland for the second of four games. Someone asked Ichiro Suzuki how he felt about the trip, and he did the rest:

“To tell the truth, I’m not excited to go to Cleveland, but we have to,” Ichiro said. “If I ever saw myself saying I’m excited going to Cleveland, I’d punch myself in the face, because I’m lying.”
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Felix Hernandez demoted to the bullpen.

Comment

Working...
                                X