Dan Haren to the Dodgers - 1/10M w/ vesting option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Haren to the Dodgers - 1/10M w/ vesting option

Nice signing by the Dodgers...he really found the fountain of your the 2nd half of last season.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I'm (pleasantly) surprised as a Dodger fan-- I thought he was a pretty coveted free agent. Thought he would get a 2- or 3- yr deal. Heck, Vargas got four years!

Comment

Josh Johnson gets 1/8 coming off a complete shit season and elbow surgery
        Haren gets 1/10 coming off a non-surgical shoulder inflammation & a very strong 2nd half. Go figure

Oh, and read this on how Haren made adjustments while on the DL - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...imulated-game/

Comment

Haren and/or his agent made a fast, bad deal, that's all. Given the Dodgers' being the new biggest spenders in MLB, he certainly could have gotten more from them.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            I like the deal. I'm curious what, if anything, this means in the Dodgers' pursuit of Tanaka.

As of right now, Dodger starters signed for 2k14 are:

Kershaw
            Greinke
            Ryu
            Haren
            Billingsley (injured --- out until June 2014)
            Beckett (injured - status unknown)
            Just out of curiosity--In your opinion, do the Dodgers have "prospects" close enough to the majors that they may think they don't need to sign anyone to a contract beyond a year?

Or could it be that Haren sought just a one year deal because he thinks he can rebuild his value with a better year than the last two?

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Haren went to HS & College in the area - that would likely be a factor for him.

Comment

Zach Lee's reviews were rather poor the last time I checked in on them.

Wrote up the deal at FG today - http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dan-h...erpaid-dodger/

Comment

Would you guys keep Haren at $15 in a 12 team NL only league where you start 10 pitchers? I think his second half last year makes him a keeper but can he keep it up for a whole season?
                  I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    He actually had quite a rebound season this past year and got some of the luster back on his prospect star. It's pretty well agreed-upon that he's more of a 3 or 4 ceiling guy rather than the top of the rotation guy he was drafted to be, but his 2013 was extremely encouraging.
                    eld, Moonlight--Thanks for the information.

Bucky--10 pitchers, 12-team league, I guess it depends on how much inflation you anticipate. I'd certainly consider it, but consider the source.

-- William James

Comment

Working...
                    X