Peralta To St Louis for Four Years and 52 Mil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
    The thing tha would bust those would be if teams were given the option to void deals when a player got busted for ped use that occurred in the year before the contract was signed, relating to misrepresentation of the player's actual skills.
    I think you have a good idea here - I'd allow owners to void deals for confirmed PED use at any point. Or, for players not eligible for free agency, adding a year before they can declare for free agency.

Admittedly, if I were a players union negotiator, I'd make the owners give me at least one major concession in some important area before I'd concede an inch on PEDs.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The attacks on Peralta are interesting, but pointless - he's just a target because he signed a pretty good contract after getting busted. The biggest cases remain where players didn't get busted until after signing mega-deals.

The thing tha would bust those would be if teams were given the option to void deals when a player got busted for ped use that occurred in the year before the contract was signed, relating to misrepresentation of the player's actual skills. But that may put too much into the hands of the owners, not exactly known for their ethical behavior.
      It's not an attack on Peralta as much as an attack on the system that rewards such behavior, both on the part of the owners and the players. And I'm glad that you put that last caveat in there, because giving the owners power to void a deal would be handing the keys to the asylum to a group of madmen...it's a bad system that nobody really want fixed. If they did, they'd make the penalties so stiff that nobody would ever dare to tempt fate.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

T
        The thing tha would bust those would be if teams were given the option to void deals when a player got busted for ped use that occurred in the year before the contract was signed, relating to misrepresentation of the player's actual skills. But that may put too much into the hands of the owners, not exactly known for their ethical behavior.
        That would turn finding "prior use" into a major industry for owners willing to dig deep enough and spend money on private investigators freely enough. The smear campaigns would be really ugly, and the "evidence" could be really iffy with so much money at stake.

"Bring me the head of Jhonny Peralta".
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Working...
        X