Who to draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who to draft?

Next week my league starts its minor league draft with players that made their debut last year. I have the 13th pick. I already know that Fernandez, Puig, Myers, Cole, Wacha, Bogaerts, Ryu most likely won't make it to me. If one of them does, I am jumping all over it.

Here are the others who I am considering. I really don't need Gyroko or Rendon so I am not putting them on my list. The choices are:

Yelich (its also a longshot if he reaches me IMO),
    Zunino or D'Arnaud (still trying to decide who is better),
    Gray,
    T Walker,
    Wheeler,
    Arenado.

How would you rank this second group of players? Again, I have Gyroko and Rendon outside of this group because I don't need a 2b. I guess if they are far and above some of these other prospects I could draft one and use him as trade bait. TIA
    拖裤子,
    放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Out of that group, I favor Arenado or Gray, assuming it's Sonny, followed by Wheeler, if that's Zack. I like guys who have the major league job in their hands now, to live or die based on performance only. That, and I have a little prejudice against "He hits alright, for a catcher" types.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Thanks DQ. Yes, you assumed correctly with all the players. My pitching is actually the strongest part of my team, but one can always use more starting pitching. The reason why I am not considering Rendon or Gyroko is that I already have Profar so that is not a pressing need.
      拖裤子,
      放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Anyone other opinions out there, esp. from our prospect gurus?
        拖裤子,
        放屁

Comment

I like Gray or Wheeler. What would the Padres do if they traded Headley? Would Gyorko go back to 3B? I just wonder if you shouldn't take Gyorko and sort things out later.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            I like Gray or Wheeler. What would the Padres do if they traded Headley? Would Gyorko go back to 3B? I just wonder if you shouldn't take Gyorko and sort things out later.
            My understanding, from something friarfan posted, is that the Padres would move Gyorko back to 3B, his natural position, should they trade Headley. Either way, unless he slumps badly (can one slump "goodly"?), he'll be a regular.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Yeah, I'd definitely draft the best prospect and be minimally concerned about position. Position-based prospect drafting is often foolish, as they move around so much.

I would definitely take Gyorko, myself. My second choice would be Yelich.
              Good point by you and JC. Thanks! Are you guys as high on Rendon? I am really leery of Zunino or D'Arnaud in the first round. I drafted Wieters with the first pick overall a few years back. Luckily, I traded him immediately to a team that was rebuilding.
              拖裤子,
              放屁

Comment

Another player who has caught my eye is Danny Salazar. Had a good debut last year and his MiLB stats look great. Does he warrant attention ahead of people like Wheeler or T Walker?
                拖裤子,
                放屁

Comment

Originally posted by Trader Mac View Post
                  Another player who has caught my eye is Danny Salazar. Had a good debut last year and his MiLB stats look great. Does he warrant attention ahead of people like Wheeler or T Walker?
                  Bodhizefa, who should know, is of the opinion that Walker is a ways away from being ready for the majors. I put Salazar ahead of Walker in terms of being ready and about even with Wheeler. What scares me the most about Wheeler is that he's a Met.

-- William James

Comment

I'm really starting to develop a mancrush on Salazar the more I see his stats. The question I have is whether he has a higher upside than Gray? It may be knit picking between the two or perhaps there is a clear difference between the both of them. What do you say?
                    拖裤子,
                    放屁

Comment

A new twist has developed.....I have been offered Shelby Miller for Profar. I am hesitant because my pitching is already decent and my hitting is what needs work. Plus, I am not sure if Gyorko or Rendon would fall to me at #13. Furthermore, I am not even sure I like Rendon as an early first round pick, but I would need a 2B if I were to trade Profar.
                      拖裤子,
                      放屁

Comment

I wound up taking Arenado with my pick. Yelich went right before me. Interesting draft so far.....T Walker, Gausman, and Oberholtzer all went in the top 10! That is why Arenado dropped along with Yelich. Gyorko, Salazar, Gray still on the board.
                        拖裤子,
                        放屁

Comment

Working...
                        X