Bourjos traded to the Cards, presumably for David Freese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjl View Post
    What does this do to Taveras' timeline? Are they still planning to put Craig in RF and Adams at 1B?
    I don't think it changes it.

It probably just confirms that Taveras can't handle CF, which was assumed anyway to be the case, but some rotisserie owners and some Cardinal fans who don't believe in defense had faint hope of an ugly outfield of Craig-Taveras-Holliday.

Craig starts at 1B or RF. RF Taveras still might begin the year in AAA or might begin with the big club, and probably battles 1B Adams for playing time. Same plan as before this trade was made. Guys do get hurt, so an injury, even early in the season, to Craig or Adams or Holliday still means likely full time atbats for Taveras.

Best hope for Taveras owners is that the Cardinals trade Adams and one of their arms for a shortstop.

Comment

Good discussion of the trade from St. Louis perspective here, including a nugget that the Cardinals had interest in Aybar from the Angels also, but the Angels asked about Shelby Miller:

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Lol, sure it's likely. Based on --- dun dun dunnnnn --- the future! Freese only had a bad year because of injuries, too, right? Or just Bourjos?

Whatever, they're pretty close I guess. Still not an area of great need for the Cards and a weird move by a team that doesn't normally sell low.
        They needed to make room for younger talent with more upside. Over the past 3 seasons, in terms of wOBA, Freese has been just 5 points better than Youkilis, a guy I think we'd all agree has not done well. Freese turns 31 a few weeks into the coming season. I just don't see the downside in this deal for them. Only so many teams needed a 3B & I guess the Yankees either didn't like him or didn't have what the Cards wanted in return.

Comment

Comment

IMO, Adams is also still in play if the Cards do a deal for Tulo.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              IMO, Adams is also still in play if the Cards do a deal for Tulo.
              Or another shortstop. Adams looks like the best trade chip the Cards have left, assuming they don't trade Taveras or Craig. OTOH, Adams is a heck of a bat to bring off the bench, plus Craig and Bourjos haven't been healthy lately.

As of now, I see the Cardinals' starters as Wong at 2B, Carpenter at third, Craig 1B, Holliday in left, Bourjos in center, Taveras in right, Yadier catching, and someone new at SS. Jay is the 4th OF/defensive replacement in LF, Descalso the infield utility man.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

Peralta close to signing with Card.

Comment

This is probably a good thread to link in the Cardinal 2k14 thread if we have one.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                    This is probably a good thread to link in the Cardinal 2k14 thread if we have one.
                    Good idea. Done

Comment

Working...
                    X