Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RJEL new owner advice (and how's my team?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RJEL new owner advice (and how's my team?)

Just joined RJEL. My team looks terrible, but my only roto experience is in 10-12 team NL-only with 23 active/17 reserve or 12-team mixed with 23 active/6 reserve, so 18-team mixed using OBP is a bit new and maybe I'm underestimating how useful it is to have mediocre players at decent salaries.

Here's my team, less a couple guys that obviously aren't staying. My first thought is that it's Kipnis and Marte and a bunch of meh and a couple good minor leaguers, but am I wrong? 23-man active roster, 5 bench, 5 DL, 15 minors. I think minor leaguers don't have salaries associated with them. Contracts go A, B, option year.

C: Arencibia $4/option year
    1B: Pujols $55B
    2B: Kipnis $6/option
    SS: Scutaro $13B
    3B: Beltre $38B
    MI: Betancourt $5B
    CI: Headley $13/option
    OF: RDavis $4B, Marte $2B, Paul $3B, Soriano $9/option, Ozuna $5A
    UT: Iannetta $1B, Melky Cabrera $7/2014

minors: Olt, Panik, Carlos Sanchez, Sano, Barrett Barnes, Courtney Hawkins, Brandon Jacobs, Trayce Thompson, Marisnick

Pitchers:
    Aceves $3B
    Arroyo $3B
    Benoit $2B
    AJBurnett $13B
    Cain $26/option
    Chatwood $11B
    FFrancisco $1B
    Kyle Gibson $4A
    Miguel Gonzalez $1B
    EJackson $5B
    Niese $17B
    Ogando $15B
    Smyly $3B
    Stults $11B

minors: Familia, Roberto Osuna, Stratton, Wieland
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Kipnis and Marte are the top line keepers, but Soriano, Benoit (assuming he stays the closer), R. Davis (depending on where he lands), A. Beltre, AJ Burnett (if he doesn't retire) are all fine. Headley isn't a bad risk at $13, his 2012 was terrific.

That's eight. I don't think you are required to keep 10 in rjel. You could stand pat, I'd go for it even if it ends up being just Kipnis, Marte, Soriano, Benoit and Beltre. You could move Soriano if you think he's not a good bet for 2014.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

while you do not have the best keepers, youre still in decent shape. I would be looking to see if I can get a few 2-1 deals but if nothing pans out, a keeper list of

Kipnis Marte Headly Soriano Burnett

possibly Beltre Benoit and Davis

minors: Olt, Panik, Carlos Sanchez, Sano, Barrett Barnes, Courtney Hawkins, Brandon Jacobs, Trayce Thompson, Marisnick, Familia, Roberto Osuna, Stratton, Wieland

isnt terrible

Note that hitting inflation in this league is higher than most so IMO getting some good hitting contracts takes on a bit more importance.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Is it accurate that if I don't keep Melky at $7, my salary cap goes down by $10 for the year? That seems like a good argument to keep him.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Oh yeah, forgot to acknowledge that you're stuck with Melky. But that's not bad at $7. You could probably unload him if you didn't want anything big in return.
          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Minor leaguers do have a dollar value, but nothing is charged until they reach the majors and are activated. It's the reverse of the rounds...a 1st rounder is 6 bucks, and a 6th rounder is a buck.

I think that the guys are being straight with you regarding your talent, and remember that it's OBP, which can make a difference. And Pete is also right about inflation...you'll be in for sticker shock come auction time.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Welcome mjl!
              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

In my opinion, the most important trivia to know about competing in rjel:

In four of the last five seasons, the top five pitching teams have all finished in the top five overall.

Comment

Agree with the need for pitching though some of that comes from trades during the season. Cheap hitting contracts imo are key as that gives you the flexibility to pay for pitching. This league does a pretty good job of scouting the minors but the best hitters usually come up this way and are like gold come trading season.

Comment

Working...
                  X