No announcement yet.

2K24: Pittsburgh Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, I own Polanco but I think this makes sense. Polanco is overwhelmed right now, but might be fine after 10 days in AAA again. Snider is the better play for those 10 days. After that, they can let 'em battle again.

Polanco has shown some pop and speed, and had some success. It's a good start ahead of his 2015 season anyway, and he may have a nice Sept. too. He'll be fine.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Just...can't...resist

When you're in the middle of a penant race, your timeline is extremely short. If a guy is hot, you ride the hot hand. If an unproven rookie is ice cold, you sit him (by demotion or benching, which is probably worse than continuing to get regular ABs in AAA). Sure, it doesn't make sense if you're looking at the bigger picture, but in this case they're not; they're watching every single swing these guys are taking and now is not the time to let an unproven rookie gain experience. And equating the Twins management with the Pirates is way off the mark, considering they're going for their second playoff appearance in a row, and the Twins haven't been to the post-season in 8 seasons and haven't won a playoff game since 2002.
      Sure you ride the hot hand...for as long as he's hot. But you don't send down a player who can still help you with his defense and baserunning just to prove...what? Polanco has proven that he's done with AAA ball, he's better off working with the big league coaches on whatever flaws in his swing they think that he has...going down to AAA ball to keep doing the same thing wrong isn't going to help.

And you're really defending the Pirates management simply because they were so horrible for so long, they had nothing but high draft picks? They're a contender by default, not because of shrewd moves...Oh yeah, Snider is now 1 for his last 14...

And I brought up the Twins only because they've been equally as inept as the Pirates...and they're following the same path now. They'll succeed in spite of themselves, simply because they continue to get prime picks.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Gotta agree with Horns. AAA does nothing for Polanco and Snider blows.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Snider now has ZERO HR and RBI in the last 12 games and is hitting 3-22 the last week.

Polanco could have done that
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            And I brought up the Twins only because they've been equally as inept as the Pirates...and they're following the same path now. They'll succeed in spite of themselves, simply because they continue to get prime picks.
            Getting high draft picks is far short of the necessary recipe for success. An inept organization will not turn high draft picks into repeated playoff appearances.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Oh, it's certainly a big step in the right direction...and let's see how many playoff slots Pittsburgh actually gets in the next several years. Right now, they're in contention mainly due to injuries to Cincy and St. Louis, IMO.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                Snider now has ZERO HR and RBI in the last 12 games and is hitting 3-22 the last week.

Polanco could have done that
                thats the problem.
                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                  thats the problem.
                  On one hand, sure. But he also could have been much better than that. Play the young uber prospect and not the chump.

Comment

Maybe it is not that he has nothing left to prove, but that he needs to take a step back and rebuild his confidence? Players press with bad results. Veterans have been through it and know they will come out of it.

Comment

• Clubhouse coach Jeff Banister leaves for Texas. Hurdle coached for the Rangers before coming to Pittsburgh. Looks like the Rangers want something back.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        Clubhouse coach Jeff Banister leaves for Texas. Hurdle coached for the Rangers before coming to Pittsburgh. Looks like the Rangers want something back.

J
                        I was close. I thought he would get hired by the Astros. Good move by the Rangers.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• From Rotoworld:
                          Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Pirates are planning to extend a $15.3 million qualifying offer to impending free agent catcher Russell Martin.
                          It's pretty much a no-brainer for the Bucs, who will attempt to re-sign Martin but can get a compensatory draft pick if he winds up heading to another team. Martin posted a cool .290/.402/.430 batting line in 111 games this season and is still considered a very strong defensive catcher at age 31. He'll be a hot commodity on the open market.
                          Source: CBS Sports
                          Oct 16 - 1:11 PM

Looks like the Pirates ownership may be trying to change their cheap image. No mention of a multi-year deal though. And that is what it will probably take to retain Russell Martin.
                          Last edited by madducks; 10-17-2014, 06:47 PM. Reason: From Rotoworld
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• They have already said they are planning an "irresponsible" offer to Martin, which I assume will be multiple years. Maybe 3/50 or 4/55 or something like that? I think they just wanted to make the QO so they get the pick. But I don't think they expect him to take it.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                              I was close. I thought he would get hired by the Astros. Good move by the Rangers.
                              I think so as well. Hurdle is supposed to have spoken highly of Banister. That said, it was a nice group to choose from. Had they been more in a rebuilding mode, I think they might have gone with Cash--youth and fresh ideas. AS it is, they need someone who can teach the kids without irritating the veterans. in other words, a communicator.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• I've seen very little speculation either way about Liriano's qualifying offer. I don't think the Pirates would be excited about paying him 15mil for 1 year. I would think they'll do it anyway, and just hope he declines, but it's a big risk. I think he would probably decline in hopes of getting 4/50 or 3/42 or something like that, but you never know.

Comment

Working...
                                X