2K24: Pittsburgh Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Polanco with 5 hits last night. I think that's more than the Pirates RF had combined all year.

Fucking Pirates management...
    It's not just the Pirates. Almost all teams are holding back their minor league stars to delay arbitration and free agency. Kris Bryant is leading AA in almost every offensive category and has been scorching hot for over a month now with no promotion at all (not even to AAA) by the Cubs. Hopefully the next CBA addresses this problem because it is really starting to make baseball look bad.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Two more hits for Polanco today (so far). Man he looks good.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

And another blown save by the bullpen. #14 on the year for the team and Mr. Grilli may need to focus more on his pitching and less on pimping his book. On second thought if they would move him out of the closer role and stop using him in high leverage situations I may not care how much he promotes his book on twitter.

Comment

I would be extremely happy if my Melancon goes back into the closer's role...I don't think he'd let go of it this year. 7 ER, 26 H+BB in 33 1/3 IP...

Only 4 closers in NL with better ERA and only Chapman has a better WHIP, albeit in almost 1/2 the innings pitched.

Comment

Hurdle announces Melancon replacing Grilli as the closer, but doesn't say it's permanent.

And to think I had people asking me why I didn't extend my $3-'14 Grilli. ("Because he's not really that good, he's in his mid-30s, and he has a good setup man right behind him")
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Jose Tabata outrighted to AAA. Cleared waivers so he will now make multiple millions for playing in Indianapolis.

2014 25 Pittsburgh Pirates $3,000,000
              2015 26 Pittsburgh Pirates $4,000,000
              2016 27 Pittsburgh Pirates $4,500,000

I guess sometimes signing the young player to a pre-arb deal doesn't work out.

He is hitting .289/.327/.331 on the season. I'm sure someone could use him as a bench bat, but not for his salary.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                Jose Tabata outrighted to AAA. Cleared waivers so he will now make multiple millions for playing in Indianapolis.

He is hitting .289/.327/.331 on the season. I'm sure someone could use him as a bench bat, but not for his salary.
                Pittsburgh was hoping that another team would be desperate enough to claim Tabata and take that salary off of their hands. Nice try Pirates.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Josh Bell could end up making the Pirates regret the Starling Marte deal.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Or his head..or his lackadaisical approach to playing..he's a screwball..
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      Josh Bell could end up making the Pirates regret the Starling Marte deal.
                      He's tall. He'll look just fine at 1B.

Comment

He's tall. He'll look just fine at 1B.
                        It wouldn't be the worst idea to add 1B to his resume, but most guys as talented and touted as Bell have a hard time reconciling themselves to the idea. First base is usually where you stick the guys who can hit but can't move well. Good outfielders generally want no part of it.

However, if someone in authority says, "You're in the majors in two years if you play first, three if you stay in the outfield and may be not with us", his outlook could change.
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

Polanco sent down. 1 for his last 30 with 11 strikeouts, currently hitting .241/.308/.349. I think the AAA season is about to end though so he'll probably be back up when rosters expand next week?
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                            Polanco sent down. 1 for his last 30 with 11 strikeouts, currently hitting .241/.308/.349. I think the AAA season is about to end though so he'll probably be back up when rosters expand next week?
                            Yes but who knows if he will get regular PT. I have him in a redraft and I'm thinking about dropping him.
                            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                              I cannot tell you how much I hate the Pittsburgh management and they're idea's of what constitutes a good baseball decision. They send down a guy based on what amounts to a weeks worth of AB's, and extol the virtues of another player based on the same sample size. Never mind that Snider has failed time and time again, year after year, THIS is the time he's finally getting it and will take us to the promised land. Gah...they're just stupid...it's like watching the Twins sign free agent pitchers.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                                I cannot tell you how much I hate the Pittsburgh management and they're idea's of what constitutes a good baseball decision. They send down a guy based on what amounts to a weeks worth of AB's, and extol the virtues of another player based on the same sample size. Never mind that Snider has failed time and time again, year after year, THIS is the time he's finally getting it and will take us to the promised land. Gah...they're just stupid...it's like watching the Twins sign free agent pitchers.
                                Just...can't...resist

When you're in the middle of a penant race, your timeline is extremely short. If a guy is hot, you ride the hot hand. If an unproven rookie is ice cold, you sit him (by demotion or benching, which is probably worse than continuing to get regular ABs in AAA). Sure, it doesn't make sense if you're looking at the bigger picture, but in this case they're not; they're watching every single swing these guys are taking and now is not the time to let an unproven rookie gain experience. And equating the Twins management with the Pirates is way off the mark, considering they're going for their second playoff appearance in a row, and the Twins haven't been to the post-season in 8 seasons and haven't won a playoff game since 2002.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X