No announcement yet.

2K24: Pittsburgh Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, had no idea they could cut someone's pay like that. I've read a lot about that in the old days, but assumed things these days were like the office where you either got nothing or just a flat COLA on a yearly basis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      Wow, had no idea they could cut someone's pay like that. I've read a lot about that in the old days, but assumed things these days were like the office where you either got nothing or just a flat COLA on a yearly basis.
      In practice, teams don't do that because it pisses the players off, but on occasion you will see a pre-arb player who is so angry at a team that he will refuse to sign his contract. In that case the team can tender whatever contract (at or above the minimum salary) it wants by the mid-March deadline, and the player is stuck with it.

There is a round of phone calls every February between AGMs and agents of pre-arb players arguing over their salaries. It doesn't ever make the news unless something goes badly south like in this case.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• It may be the Cole is just a jerk (or was convinced to be this way by Boras) or it may be that the Pirates botched the personnel management and communication here.

It would seem that honest, early, repetitive communication from management to player on what formula they use and what they'll be offering, along with the fact that other teams have the same policy (encourage him to ask his friends on other teams), would be wise...especially for a star like Cole.

Comment

• Nice!

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that the Pirates and outfielder Gregory Polanco have agreed to a five-year contract extension.
          The rumored deal also includes two club options, locking the 24-year-old up through his arbitration years and his first two years of free agency. While exact financial terms of the agreement have not been disclosed, Polanco is expected to earn at least $30 million guaranteed. Expect the Pirates to officially announce the deal at some point this week. Polanco looked fantastic in the Pirates' Opening Day victory over the Cardinals on Sunday, going 2-for-3 with scorching off-the-bat velocity and two runs scored.
          Source: Yahoo Sports
          Apr 3 - 8:48 PM via rotoworld

So the Pirates outfield is now signed through 2018 (McCutchen) with Marte & Polanco signed through 2021 & 2022.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that Gregory Polanco's five-year contract extension with the Pirates is for $35 million.
            Rosenthal also adds that if both club options are exercised in addition, it will run the total value of the contract to more than $60 million. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reported earlier Sunday that the two sides had agreed to the deal. Expect an official announcement from the Pirates this week.
            Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter via rotoworld
            Apr 3 - 10:38 PM
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Love this for the Pirates. Pay him like the solid player he is, and if he turns into the superstar he might still become, you have a huge bargain on your hands.

Comment

• Cutch with RISP so far this year: 0-4 with 5 BB (just missed a HR on a 400' fly out to CF)

Comment

• Sell. Sell. Sell.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Uh, nice debut Jung Ho!

Comment

• The whole PIT staff has been anywhere from mediocre to brutal. Niese? 10 HRs in 40 IP!!! Searage, Schmearage!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        The whole PIT staff has been anywhere from mediocre to brutal. Niese? 10 HRs in 40 IP!!! Searage, Schmearage!
                        The AAA Indianapolis rotation is another story:

Kuhl 1.10 era
                        Boscan 1.59 era
                        Taillon 1.69 era
                        Glasnow 2.13 era
                        Brault 2.70 era

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Speaking of their AAA staff, I imagine Glasnow and Taillon will be up by mid-June, after Super two. When that happens, who do they replace? Locke is the first obvious choice. Niese would be the second, but they are paying him 9 mil this year. Would they knock Nicasio out of the rotation over Niese, even though he has performed much better?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            Speaking of their AAA staff, I imagine Glasnow and Taillon will be up by mid-June, after Super two. When that happens, who do they replace? Locke is the first obvious choice. Niese would be the second, but they are paying him 9 mil this year. Would they knock Nicasio out of the rotation over Niese, even though he has performed much better?
                            I went to the Indianapolis-Scranton game today, and Taillon started. I think he ended with 11 Ks(?) after 7 IP. Although he lost the game, he really mowed them down.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              I went to the Indianapolis-Scranton game today, and Taillon started. I think he ended with 11 Ks(?) after 7 IP. Although he lost the game, he really mowed them down.
                              Yeah, he has finally gotten it all together. He is definitely ready. So is Glasnow. I have Glasnow, so I can't wait for the call up. But I also have Nicasio, and I hope he isn't bumped. But I guess he has to be? Locke is the first to go, I'd bet. But then who? Niese is owed a lot of green, but Nicasio has been better. I'm not sure what the end up doing to get Taillon and Glasnow in the rotation.

Comment

• Cervelli signs a 3-year, $31mil extension. Great OBP and pitch framing. Will he still have those in 3 years?

Comment

Working...
                                X