Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trivia-worthy seasons

Herb Washington Oakland 1974: 29 runs, 29 sb, 0 ab

This appears to be a thing with manager Al Dark, the only player remotely close to that record with 0 AB is Allan Lewis (16 r, 7 sb), playing for Oakland & Dark the year before.

Can't call it a novelty act - Oakland won the World Series in '74 (though Washington wasn't a factor, 0/0 with 2 CS in the AL championship).
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

The biggest play of Washington's career:

He was a world-class sprinter who hadn't played baseball since high school. He now owns about a dozen or so McDonald's franchises around the country, so he did pretty well for himself.

Comment

Since 1900, only one player has managed to tally 150+ rbis with less than 30 HRs.
      Tommy Davis did it in 1962, and it took him 163 games and 230 hits (he batted .346). Davis had just 33 BB, 65 Ks in 711 PA.

Davis did not lead the league in games played, however. That was teammate Maury Wills - with 165 games (164 starts) - the #1 total all-time. (There was a 3-game playoff for the NL pennant.)
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        He now owns about a dozen or so McDonald's franchises around the country, so he did pretty well for himself.
        I find this even more impressive than his baseball achievements. Herb Washington probably made less than a hundred grand total over his entire baseball career. And some players who made millions are broke today!
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

To go with the HR/RBI relationship...only two players since 1947 have 110 or more RBI while hitting less than 10 home runs.

Tom Herr: 1985 8HR 110 RBI
          Paul Mollitor: 1996 9 HR 113 RBI
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

How about a "trivia-worthy season" question?

Two players in MLB history have had 50 HRs and 50 SBs in a season (not the same season). Barry Bonds was one. Who was the other? (Can you guess w/o looking it up?).
            Hint: Each one had just one season of each.

Comment

It's Brady Anderson isn't it?

Comment

In 1992 Deion Sanders 28 extra base hits. Half of them were triples.

14 3b, 8 hr, 6 2b

Comment

Currently there is one player with more career SBs than Runs (minimum: 50 SBs). Filtering by 20 SBs, he's the first player in 100 years.
                  It's Tony Campana of the DBacks, whom they should give 162 starts to next year (and not just because I could keep him for $1 either)

Comment

the last MLB position player to hit at least .400 while spending an entire season on an active roster did it for the Boston Red Sox.

No, not Ted Williams.

I'll give the answer later if no one gets it.

P.S. His career AVG is also .400, and he's still alive.
                    Last edited by Judge Jude; 11-16-2013, 04:31 PM.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      I find this even more impressive than his baseball achievements. Herb Washington probably made less than a hundred grand total over his entire baseball career. And some players who made millions are broke today!
                      Actually, I just read an article saying he owns 25 McDonald's franchises. Damn! He was also the Director of the Federal Reserve Bank of NY too!

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                        It's Brady Anderson isn't it?
                        Correct!

Comment

last position player to hit .400 or better while being active all season was..... Roger LaFrancois

Check out the latest Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More of Roger LaFrancois. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, draft status, bats, throws, school and more on Baseball-reference.com

Roger was the 1982 3rd-string catcher of the Red Sox, and he appeared in 4 games while going 1 for 4 entering September. Then he boosted his avg to .400 with a single on Sept. 14, then made 2 more appearances without batting.

In true Ted Williams fashion, Roger risked his .400 AVG in the final game of the season and the only MLB game he ever started, going 2 for 5 in a 5-3 win over the Yankees in 11 innings.

final tally: 4 for 10.

The Red Sox that year 13 hitters with 200+ PA, but no one with 25-199 PA. Manager was Ralph Houk, and old-school guy who had 8 regulars qualify for the batting title. Ralph was a member of the great Yankees teams of 1947-54 - as a, you guessed it, 3rd-string catcher who in a span of 5 years got only 36 total PA. So he was the one manager who might use a kid just that way, I suppose....

Roger never played in the majors again, preserving that .400 AVG forever.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                          X