2K24: Cleveland Guardians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
    I agree. This was really fun to watch and i really wanted to see the Indians get at least 26 and tie the record.
    Actually, you could argue that the Indians do have the longest team win streak. The 1916 Giants won 12 straight, then played to a tie, which got suspended for darkness and was never resumed, then won 14 more straight. So, altho the Giants have the longest unbeaten streak (which actually would be 27 games), the Indians arguably have the longest consecutive wins streak. The problematic thing is that ties are not included in the won-loss record.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
      Actually, you could argue that the Indians do have the longest team win streak. The 1916 Giants won 12 straight, then played to a tie, which got suspended for darkness and was never resumed, then won 14 more straight. So, altho the Giants have the longest unbeaten streak (which actually would be 27 games), the Indians arguably have the longest consecutive wins streak. The problematic thing is that ties are not included in the won-loss record.
      The old "they didn't win" vs. the "they didn't lose" argument lol.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• hockey had win streaks and unbeaten streaks, baseball should have, too

fyi the 1916 Giants started out 2-13 that year and were 59-62 when the streak started

they had HOF players Christy Mathewson and Edd Roush - but traded both to Cincinnati in the same midseason deal. the other guy dealt away also was a HOFer, future Manager Bill McKechnie. has to be the only dealing away of 3 HOFers in the same trade. Mathewson had been acquired from Cincy 16 years earlier for the rotting corpse of future HOFer Amos Rusie, who did not win a game for the Reds. Christy won one game for the Reds before hanging them up.

Roush was just getting his HOF career started. The last HOFer on this team was High Pockets Kelly, one of the many joke selections from this era who played for the Giants or the Cardinals (see "Frisch, Frankie" as to why). Kelly didn't become a regular 1B until 1920, and he barely played during the streak.

the Giants finished 4th at 86-66
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• On the topic of streaks, Lindor has a club record 10 game extra base hit streak going. He is 4 shy of the MLB record. He is also the first SS in the modern era (since 1900) with a 10 game extra base hit streak. That is obviously a much less prestigious record the the DiMaggio hit streak, but it is noteworthy nonetheless, and speaks to just how hot Lindor has been.

I don't think in the wildest fantasy of scouts did anyone predict Lindor would ever display the kind of power he has this year. 30 homers and 40 doubles, and the year isn't even over? Lindor was supposed to be the great glove and good contact hitting guy who would be much more valuable in real baseball than in fantasy. I'm really glad I hung on to him despite those projections!

And the guy is always smiling. He is clearly having fun out there. Fun to watch.
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 09-16-2017, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            On the topic of streaks, Lindor has a club record 10 game extra base hit streak going. He is 4 shy of the MLB record. He is also the first SS in the modern era (since 1900) with a 10 game extra base hit streak. That is obviously a much less prestigious record the the DiMaggio hit streak, but it is noteworthy nonetheless, and speaks to just how hot Lindor has been.

I don't think in the wildest fantasy of scouts did anyone predict Lindor would ever display the kind of power he has this year. 30 homers and 40 doubles, and the year isn't even over? Lindor was supposed to be the great glove and good contact hitting guy who would be much more valuable in real baseball than in fantasy. I'm really glad I hung on to him despite those projections!

And the guy is always smiling. He is clearly having fun out there. Fun to watch.
            Experts! Bwhahaha.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Kluber continues his dominance. A couple of months ago I think anyone who tried to make a case for any non-Sale pitcher for Cy Young would have been mocked. Now I think it is pretty clear that Kluber should get it. Sale has had an amazing year, but Kluber has outpitched him, especially down the stretch. Kluber missed some time this year, and maybe that hurts him with some voters, but if I were casting a vote right now, Kluber would edge out Sale. No slight to Sale, but I really hope Kluber gets it. He deserves the recognition. He is an under-appreciated super elite stud.

Oh, and Lindor should be in the MVP discussion too. I think he is behind Altuve and maybe a couple of other guys, but he deserves a top 5 finish.
              Kluber got it running away. Scherzer won too. No controveries this year. The right guys won.

Comment

• Good on Cleveland for getting rid of Chief Wahoo.

Taking until 2019 though ...
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                  Good on Cleveland for getting rid of Chief Wahoo.
                  Just another example of the man getting rid of our our Native Brothers. I mean what did he ever do to us? He was here first! It is just not right to force Chief Wahoo off his land. I am pretty sure Trump is behind this!

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    Good on Cleveland for getting rid of Chief Wahoo.

Taking until 2019 though ...
                    Yeah, but the Redskins and Seminoles can keep their logos and names? That's bullshit!

Comment

• Originally posted by griswold View Post
                      Yeah, but the Redskins and Seminoles can keep their logos and names? That's bullshit!
                      St. John's was way ahead of the curve on this. They changed from Redmen to Red Storm in 1994!

Comment

• Originally posted by griswold View Post
                        Please dont lump in the Seminoles with the skins. Seminoles dont have a racist cartoon character as a mascot...Their nickname is not a racial slur...much like the KC Chiefs, they have an arrowhead on their helmets, and much like the chiefs, they do the warchant chop. Also, the Seminole nation fully supports the school's use of the name.

For almost 70 years, Florida State has worked closely, side by side, with the Seminole Tribe of Florida. The relationship, built on respect, is so mutually supportive that in 2005 the tribe — which rarely puts such things in writing — took an unprecedented, historic step with a public declaration of support.
                        FSU, designated a preeminent university in the state of Florida, is one of the most respected research and learning institutions in the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          Please dont lump in the Seminoles with the skins. Seminoles dont have a racist cartoon character as a mascot...Their nickname is not a racial slur...much like the KC Chiefs, they have an arrowhead on their helmets, and much like the chiefs, they do the warchant chop. Also, the Seminole nation fully supports the school's use of the name.

https://unicomm.fsu.edu/messages/rel...tribe-florida/
                          Yeah, I get annoyed with stuff like this gets conflated...it just feeds into the "everyone is too PC crowd" to conflate stuff like this. The Redskins name and mascot should not be conflated with the Chiefs or Seminoles, for the reasons Pauly points out.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            St. John's was way ahead of the curve on this. They changed from Redmen to Red Storm in 1994!
                            They were late in the game themselves. Stanford dropped "Indians" as their nickname so long ago (1972) that nobody remembers.

Comment

Yeah, I get annoyed with stuff like this gets conflated...it just feeds into the "everyone is too PC crowd" to conflate stuff like this. The Redskins name and mascot should not be conflated with the Chiefs or Seminoles, for the reasons Pauly points out.
                              I agree. There are sort of three levels that I see, with two exceptions.

Level 1: Racial slurs. Like the former name for St. John's and a certain NFL team.

Level 2: Names like Indians. A bit weird, since we don't have nicknames of other racial groups.

Level 3: Names like Chiefs and Braves. Those are types of leaders or warriors. Similar nicknames from other groups like Kings, Warriors, and Knights are used commonly enough as nicknames.

Exception 1: FSU. Seminoles would fall into Level 2 except that it is specifically licensed from the Seminole Nation. (Let's face it, the Seminole Nation is making coin off of that.) That sort of shows that the only group with any right to complain actively does not.

Exception 2: The Mumbai Indians. It is a bit of a weird nickname, like naming a team the Cleveland Americans, but it has nothing to do with Native Americans whatsoever and is a nationality rather than a racial group. Needless to say, if there was an objection from the relevant nation (where the team is), the nickname would be gone as they are under the auspices of the BCCI.
                              Last edited by cavebird; 01-29-2018, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• there is nothing more tired in sports than the "warchant chop"
                                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                                X