2K24: Los Angeles Dodgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    I'm hearing Bauer won his case. No links, just radio report.
    The woman was denied the restraining order.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      I'm hearing Bauer won his case. No links, just radio report.
      Yes, it seems the texts are clear she asked for everything that came her way. So, great for Bauer legally. However, I don't see how any team can have him, legally in the clear or not. If you are so inclined, you can find the photos of what she looked like after their encounter. It is brutal. Like if she were in an elevator with Ray Rice and an alley cat for 12 rounds. There is no way folks see that woman's face all bloody, scratched to hell, bruised and swollen, think about how Bauer did that and got off on it, and he is welcomed to pitch for a team. It is a PR nightmare.
      Last edited by Sour Masher; 08-19-2021, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        It is a PR nightmare.
        Agreed. I can't imagine any team letting him play for them.

Comment

Yes, it seems the texts are clear she asked for everything that came her way. So, great for Bauer legally. However, I don't see how any team can have him, legally in the clear or not. If you are so inclined, you can find the photos of why she looked like after their encounter. It is brutal. Like if she were in an elevator with Ray Rice and an alley cat for 12 rounds. There is no way folks see that woman's face all bloody, scratched to hell, bruised and swollen, think about how Bauer did that and got off on it, and he is welcomed to pitch for a team. It is a PR nightmare.
          What do the Dodgers and MLB decide? Come back this year? Suspended from baseball for the rest of the season? What about next season? The Dodgers have a mess on their hand and right now it is costing them $102mil.

Comment

Yes, it seems the texts are clear she asked for everything that came her way. So, great for Bauer legally. However, I don't see how any team can have him, legally in the clear or not. If you are so inclined, you can find the photos of what she looked like after their encounter. It is brutal. Like if she were in an elevator with Ray Rice and an alley cat for 12 rounds. There is no way folks see that woman's face all bloody, scratched to hell, bruised and swollen, think about how Bauer did that and got off on it, and he is welcomed to pitch for a team. It is a PR nightmare.
            That’s not relevant, nor is the conclusion you appear to be drawing correct. The judge dissolved the restraining order. The criminal investigation continues.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
              That’s not relevant, nor is the conclusion you appear to be drawing correct. The judge dissolved the restraining order. The criminal investigation continues.
              Maybe I misunderstood your post. Bauer certainly is not in the clear, legally, but this is obviously both a good ruling for him and the Judge appears to be giving some indication of the eventual outcome of a potential criminal case.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Just read the excerpts from the ruling that were readily available. Agree with your assessment. Sure looks like if the prosecution doesn't come up with some more sound evidence that they'll likely lose.

My brain is replaying Anthony Hopkins character in Red 2 where he says "I didn't see that coming".
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• The judge decided the woman set the limits and Bauer did not exceed it. Therefore to the judge Bauer is not a threat to the woman. That seems consensual and might be hard to prove otherwise. So what more would an investigation prove? The woman set the limit the being punched, choke and sodomized and Bauer complied. Very bizarre.

Comment

Thanks for the correction. I was just going by what the judge said. It seems to be a victory for him, based on a layperson's reading of the ruling saying that Bauer did not exceed the limits set by the woman. I recall when I asked about this earlier, you mentioned that whether they had a prior agreement or not, he could be criminally liable for going too far and hurting her. Those pictures sure as hell look like too far to me, which made the ruling surprising to me.
                    Last edited by Sour Masher; 08-19-2021, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I'm not a lawyer. I was just going by what the judge said. It seems to be a victory for him, based on a layperson's reading of the ruling saying that Bauer did not exceed the limits set by the woman. I recall when I asked about this earlier, you mentioned that whether they had a prior agreement or not, he could be criminally liable for going too far and hurting her. Those pictures sure as hell look like too far to me, which made the ruling surprising to me.
                      I understand this ruling does not determine whether criminal charges will go forward, but I am curious to know how likely you think they are given this ruling. Also, if Bauer not exceeding the limits the woman set in the texts is not relevant (if I read that corrctly), why did the judge indicate that in her ruling? Is it relevant for the restraining order but not the criminal charges? if so, that is surprising to me. But again, I have no clue about the law on this, so I shouldn't have said it was great legally for Bauer that the judge said he did not exceed the limits the woman put forth in the texts. It made it seem to me that Bauer would be unlikely to be convicted in a criminal trial, which surprises me, given the photos.
                      Last edited by Sour Masher; 08-19-2021, 05:18 PM.

Comment

I understand this ruling does not determine whether criminal charges will go forward, but I am curious to know how likely you think they are given this ruling. Also, if Bauer not exceeding the limits the woman set in the texts is not relevant, why did the judge indicate that in her ruling? Is it relevant for the restraining order but not the criminal charges? if so, that is surprising to me. But again, I have no clue about the law on this, so I shouldn't have said it was great legally for Bauer that the judge said he did not exceed the limits the woman put forth in the texts.
                        Sorry, I think I just totally misread your post. None of this is relevant for purposes of a criminal proceeding, at least not in any direct way, because the parties are different than they would be in a criminal matter in which the State of California would be the Plaintiff and issue preclusion will likely not come into play. But if Bauer's victim could not meet her burden at a civil proceeding, that likely does not bode well for any criminal proceeding in which the burden is much higher. I don't know enough about all the allegations or factual underpinnings to really know, but I'm guessing Bauer will either walk or not be charged. We'll see. This whole thing really sucks.

Comment

Sorry, I think I just totally misread your post. None of this is relevant for purposes of a criminal proceeding, at least not in any direct way, because the parties are different than they would be in a criminal matter in which the State of California would be the Plaintiff and issue preclusion will likely not come into play. But if Bauer's victim could not meet her burden at a civil proceeding, that likely does not bode well for any criminal proceeding in which the burden is much higher. I don't know enough about all the allegations or factual underpinnings to really know, but I'm guessing Bauer will either walk or not be charged. We'll see. This whole thing really sucks.
                          Indeed it does. I have asked this before and I can't recall the reply, but what would the Dodgers be on the hook for if they wanted to break the contract if there are no criminal charges? I am all for player protections and guaranteed money, but it really sucks that there does not seem to be a good way to navigate morality clauses in some fair way. I sure would want to cut Bauer if I owned or ran the Dodgers, and it sucks if they can't or have to pay him all that money.

Comment

Indeed it does. I have asked this before and I can't recall the reply, but what would the Dodgers be on the hook for if they wanted to break the contract if there are no criminal charges? I am all for player protections and guaranteed money, but it really sucks that there does not seem to be a good way to navigate morality clauses in some fair way. I sure would want to cut Bauer if I owned or ran the Dodgers, and it sucks if they can't or have to pay him all that money.
                            I'm sure there is a morality clause in his contract but, man, I just don't know what they can do in the absence of criminality. Eat a ton of shit and money is my best guess. Or maybe some high profile hearing in which we get to hear why the Dodgers believe punching and sodomizing a woman is unseemly behavior such that it violates his contract....? I bet the Dodgers are screwed. Not really sure, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                              The judge decided the woman set the limits and Bauer did not exceed it. Therefore to the judge Bauer is not a threat to the woman. That seems consensual and might be hard to prove otherwise. So what more would an investigation prove? The woman set the limit the being punched, choke and sodomized and Bauer complied. Very bizarre.
                              I agree. And as such, if the criminal investigation finds the same, and he’s not charged, besides it being a PR nightmare — he’s legally NOT a criminal. So if the Dodgers cut him loose, why wouldn’t another team take him on? I can’t see how he would be worse than an Odubel Herrera or Domingo German, who are still playing for the teams they had their indiscretions on.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                I agree. And as such, if the criminal investigation finds the same, and he’s not charged, besides it being a PR nightmare — he’s legally NOT a criminal. So if the Dodgers cut him loose, why wouldn’t another team take him on? I can’t see how he would be worse than an Odubel Herrera or Domingo German, who are still playing for the teams they had their indiscretions on.
                                If Bauer is not charged and the criminal investigation is dropped that doesn't mean MLB drops their investigation. Unless there is something written in the contract pertaining to this or MLB determines a suspension from baseball he will pitch again for the Dodgers. MLB might just sweep this all under the rug. The Dodgers are a big market team and they have a hefty contract so they'll carry more weight then KC or Det. This just my opinion and perhaps I'm way off base.

Comment

Working...
                                X