2K24: Los Angeles Dodgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
    I would say he is accused of rape and if his fantasy owner feels so inclined to drop him without penalty, then he should be allowed to simply on moral grounds. It is still fantasy baseball and this is an isolated circumstance - not like players get accused of this on a weekly basis. Even if he gets picked up by someone else, he wouldnt be eligible for an extension until later on.

This isnt a comment on you, but why do fantasy players in general feel the need to be so punitive in their rules enforcement? This may not be true, but it seems that way.
    Moral grounds??? If it is a free keeper league, then no problem. Also no issue if a roto owners drop any player during their contract, but if a player was signed to a contract extension, then you have to pay the penalty. You sign a player to a contract ext, then you take your chances and what comes with it.

Comment

I would say he is accused of rape and if his fantasy owner feels so inclined to drop him without penalty, then he should be allowed to simply on moral grounds. It is still fantasy baseball and this is an isolated circumstance - not like players get accused of this on a weekly basis. Even if he gets picked up by someone else, he wouldnt be eligible for an extension until later on.

This isnt a comment on you, but why do fantasy players in general feel the need to be so punitive in their rules enforcement? This may not be true, but it seems that way.
      I can say for our league we want to discourage folks from handing out a ton of long term contracts so that players are back in the draft sooner and if you give managers more opportunities to get out of contract without a penalty you'll see more contracts given. I see it both ways, this is meant to be fun and why not let people off the hook. However, on the flipside I am very competitive and don't think people should be left off the hook. I can see a case for letting someone out of a contract for legal troubles but definitely not for a PED suspension.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
        I can see a case for letting someone out of a contract for legal troubles but definitely not for a PED suspension.
        Im not sure how it went from rape and murder to PEDs.
        It's just a shot away (too easy).

Comment

Im not sure how it went from rape and murder to PEDs.
          It's just a shot away (too easy).
          virgonomic mentioned letting people out of a contract for a PED suspension

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
            virgonomic mentioned letting people out of a contract for a PED suspension
            Of the top of my head, the only reason I'd let someone out of a long-term contract sans penalty would be a tragic death.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by cleo View Post
              Moral grounds??? If it is a free keeper league, then no problem. Also no issue if a roto owners drop any player during their contract, but if a player was signed to a contract extension, then you have to pay the penalty. You sign a player to a contract ext, then you take your chances and what comes with it.
              Bauer is still rostered in 84% of CBS leagues and 71% of Yahoo leagues. Doesn't appear a lot of people are dropping him on moral grounds. Would be curious to see how many people in a Dynasty format where they can keep him forever dropped him based on principal.
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              ---------------------------------------------
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• we allow players to be kept for no more than 4 years, max.
                aside from getting more talent into the annual auction, it also eliminates these angles re how to let someone out of a deal.
                if you have a guy at 5-S2 in Year 1, you can keep him at 5-S1 in Year 2 if you like.
                for Year 3, you can either make it 5-O, 10-L2, or drop him.
                for Year 4, he would be 15-L1/0, or you can drop him for no penalty.

seems as if some leagues have owners who want to lock up the guy forever at what they think is a nice price - then they want to be able to squirm out of it when unexpected circumstances occur. seems like a mixed message.

in my league, typically owners can't release an inactive player. for the most part, it's because the guy who in May seems like he's out for a year could come back in early August and be trade bait, at least.

but on occasion, I'll relax the rule. when the Bauer owner yesterday sought to release him at 37-S2, I didn't ask any questions and went ahead with it.

one more nuance: we make FA pickups 10-S2 until September 1, when they become 20-S2. it helps keep the April farmhand pool a little stronger, and fluky Sept moves by owners have fewer consequences.

example: in 2019, a frustrated Yelich owner who had him in an option-year contract flat-out released him because he wasn't going to play in September and the owner needed a live bat. a number of owners were out of waiver moves, but one guy behind me had one in the hole and bogarted Yelich away from me.

2020 never happened, so Yelich is 20-S2 this year - and he'll have to scramble to give his owner a break-even year. might be a nice price the next 2 years, but it's not even half the game-changer a 10-S2 contract would be.

in the unlikely event that Bauer is made active in September, even if only procedurally, someone can grab him at 20-S2.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Of the top of my head, the only reason I'd let someone out of a long-term contract sans penalty would be a tragic death.
                  Our league rules state that the player has to be on the opening day roster or MLB IL/extended spring training for the contract to still be valid. If player with a extended contract retires, passes away or goes to another country to play, then the contract is not valid as they are no longer a MLB player. The roto owner can drop the player without any penalty. I think this rule goes back to the Waggoner roto bible days.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Agreed.

Originally posted by cleo View Post
                    Our league rules state that the player has to be on the opening day roster or MLB IL/extended spring training for the contract to still be valid. If player with a extended contract retires, passes away or goes to another country to play, then the contract is not valid as they are no longer a MLB player. The roto owner can drop the player without any penalty. I think this rule goes back to the Waggoner roto bible days.
                    Yes, that's how we do it and I think that's how it should be. I'd add, for only leagues, if the player is traded (or signed) to the other league then the player can't be kept and there is no penalty.

In the case of Vazquez, I believe he was still on the restricted list when the manager in our league had to buy him out. He never said a single word about why he had to pay the penalty. Just how the rules work, a tough break for sure, but just the way it is. Now if the player had been released and not on a major league league team that would be a different situation.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Muncy w another great game last night (2 HR, 5 RBI, 3 R, 2-3, BB). Did you know that he leads the NL in OPS at .982? Harper is 2nd at .978. Only Vladdy and Ohtani have a higher OPS in MLB.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                        Muncy w another great game last night (2 HR, 5 RBI, 3 R, 2-3, BB). Did you know that he leads the NL in OPS at .982? Harper is 2nd at .978. Only Vladdy and Ohtani have a higher OPS in MLB.
                        And I thought I was crazy for keeping him at $17.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                          muncy w another great game last night (2 hr, 5 rbi, 3 r, 2-3, bb). Did you know that he leads the nl in ops at .982? Harper is 2nd at .978. Only vladdy and ohtani have a higher ops in mlb.
                          mvp! Mvp!
                          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                            And I thought I was crazy for keeping him at $17.
                            What a bargain!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              mvp! Mvp!
                              He’s probably 2nd or 3rd as of today, I would guess.

Comment

• I'm hearing Bauer won his case. No links, just radio report.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X