No announcement yet.

2K14 - San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, and hindsight being what it is, how about if we still had Latos - meaning that we wouldn't have Alonso which made us trade Rizzo?

Would you rather:

Rizzo, Latos
    or
    Alonso, Cashner

Yup. Love this team!

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
      How apropos is it that, while Headley is delivering the game-winning hit in his first game in pinstripes, the Pads get shutout by the Cubbies featuring a game when Rizzo hits 2 dingers against them as they leave $50 million in payroll on the bench (Quentin and Maybin)?

I feel like the Padres are Ike Turner and I'm Tina.

They've fielded some pretty awful lineups over the years, but yesterday's has to take the cake:

1. Vanable - CF
      2. Amarista - 2B
      3. Smith - LF
      4. Grandal - C
      5. Nelson - 3B
      6. Goebbert - 1B
      7. Denorfia - RF
      8. Conrad - 2B
      9. Stults - P
      In all seriousness why even root for them? Why even care what they do anymore? I quit caring what the Pirates did a long long long time ago when they showed that they didn't give a rats ass about the fans or winning. Padres look the same.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        In all seriousness why even root for them? Why even care what they do anymore? I quit caring what the Pirates did a long long long time ago when they showed that they didn't give a rats ass about the fans or winning. Padres look the same.
        Eh, because, at the end of the day, it's just a sport. Civic pride and the hope that one day they'll be a winner and I can say "I'm no fair-weather fan. I've been with them through thick and thin". I'm not losing any hair over them or anything. I'm a San Diegan. Always will be (even when I lived elsewhere). Makes for good conversation.

Comment

• Never fear, our savior is here - http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/824/jeff-francoeur

Pads call up Frenchy. I assume this means a Denorfia trade is imminent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
            Never fear, our savior is here - http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/824/jeff-francoeur

Pads call up Frenchy. I assume this means a Denorfia trade is imminent.
            And the battle for the NL West cellar rages on! Colorado appeared to lock it up yesterday by DL'ing Tulo and Justin Morneau, but now San Diego counters with a Jeff Francoeur call-up! Well played, Padres, well played.

Hmmm, I wonder what Aaron Cook is doing these days...
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Aaaaaand, the reason for the Francoeur promotion was....drumroll, please...

Cameron Maybin suspended by MLB for violation of drug policy. Amphetamines.

Lemme guess, you have bad allergies (to playing time, I imagine) and you loaded up on Benedryl before you were piss tested.

Idiot

EDIT: Apparently, it's for an ADD medication that used to be approved but is now illegal. He's taking full responsibility for it.

I've always rooted for him to succeed and he seems like a good kid. Hope he can get his career back on track soon.
              Last edited by Friarfan; 07-23-2014, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• Looks like that foot injury really was what was hampering Gyorko all year. He's been on fire since he's come back this week.

And, good God, Jesse Hahn looks awesome! Thanks Rays! He'll probably be shut down soon but, if not for that, the kid would be making a run at ROY.

Solarte has made everyone forget about Headley so far (yeah, I know, small sample size, but still)

Comment

• Could the Padres be a spoiler like they were a few years ago? Gotta love those teams that have absolutely nothing to lose and are filled with young 'uns. They just need to trade Kennedy and call up Wisler and I'll be happy

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                    Could the Padres be a spoiler like they were a few years ago? Gotta love those teams that have absolutely nothing to lose and are filled with young 'uns. They just need to trade Kennedy and call up Wisler and I'll be happy
                    I'd love to see Wisler up. I think he'll be a slow learner, but I think we'll see steady progress for a few years and then a real stud. I don't think he'll be worth anything this year, but he's good for a few no-one-knows-him dominant starts before the league catches up.

Comment

• Benoit to Dodgers? Anyone? Sounds like it could happen....#OptimisticThayerOwner
                      12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
                      1B-Cron
                      2B- Villar
                      SS- Andrus
                      3B-Baez
                      MI-L. Gurriel
                      CI- Y.Gurriel
                      OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
                      UTIL- Benintendi
                      BENCH: Pence, Dyson
                      SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
                      RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
                      IL: Buxton

Comment

• Tommy Medica.
                        Will this form continue?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mendoza_Line View Post
                          Tommy Medica.
                          Will this form continue?
                          If he gets consistent playing time - yes. He passes my eye test, Looks a little Mike Stanton-ish to me. Now, the playing time matter: no guarantee, but it's looking better. The Pads are sure going to try and make Yonder work and they are also getting Grandal ABs at 1b. Medica is serviceable in the outfield, and there's one less mouth to feed with Denorfia gone, Maybin serving his suspension, and Quentin about to be taken out back and shot like an injured horse. The good thing is, two of them are lefties (Smith and Venable) so Medica should continue to get PT out there a coupe of times a week.

He looked good in spring training so it sucks that they were so committed to Yonder at first and had too crowded an outfield to get him consistent PT during the first half of the year.

Comment

• Rymer Liriano to be promoted to the show - http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/6040/rymer-liriano

Kid's been crushing all year. Too bad he lost last year to TJ, or else he'd already be up. Hopefully Budbot lets him play regularly. Damn guy is the king of platoons. Stick him in left with Venable/Almonte in center and Smith in right for the rest of the year and don't mess with it. It cuts down on Medica's PT, but he should be playing 1B regularly anyway

Comment

• An amusing little statistic...

"Jedd Gyorko is now the Padres all-time HR leader at 2B ... with 31"

Comment

• Padres team batting average is .226

Good lord...
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X