Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mauer Moving to First Base

Per email from the Twins:

The Twins announced today that they will move All-Star catcher Joe Mauer from behind the plate to first base in 2014. After consultation with doctors, and given the inherent risks of future injury at the catcher position, the organization and Joe determined that it would be in the best interest of both him and the Twins for a position change.
    Let's see if he can increase his power numbers, or he is way, way over priced for this move.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Any production is better than no production.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

They had a gap at 1B anyway, and their best talent is coming at 3B and CF. So the move doesn't hurt them the way it might for other teams with top catchers. As far as being overpriced, of course. But Cleveland's doing all right paying Nick Swisher $15M a year, and Mauer is over two years younger. Given his popularity, his contract won't be a negative if they can somehow get some starting pitching going.
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Josmil Pinto owners rejoice!!!

Pinto has a reputation for below average defense, but the offensive profile looks legit. Jason Parks has said that the defense to him looks slightly below average, but still playable at the big league level in 2014.

.280 - 15 hr, 55 R/RBI?

Normally these 15 HR catchers come with Batting Average vulnerability, but I don't see that as much with Pinto. He's continued to hit for a .300+ BA up the ladder, with 16% K's in AA/AAA. Seems sustainable at the higher levels (as he showed with his 83 late seasons AB's with a .963 OPS.

Who else is on the Josmil Pinto bandwagon?
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post

Pinto has a reputation for below average defense, but the offensive profile looks legit. Jason Parks has said that the defense to him looks slightly below average, but still playable at the big league level in 2014.

.280 - 15 hr, 55 R/RBI?

Normally these 15 HR catchers come with Batting Average vulnerability, but I don't see that as much with Pinto. He's continued to hit for a .300+ BA up the ladder, with 16% K's in AA/AAA. Seems sustainable at the higher levels (as he showed with his 83 late seasons AB's with a .963 OPS.

What's not to like for a buck or two in an AL league? I'm in!

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
            With those numbers in the minors, he won't go for a buck or two in my league.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post

.280 - 15 hr, 55 R/RBI?

I think that you have it about right...maybe the average is a bit optimistic, but then again, maybe not. Either way, he's got the job, barring anything strange happening. Doumit is going to catch a couple of dozen games, and they'll have whatever version of Drew Butera that they can come up with, but I think that it's his job to lose at this point.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Are you saying you can get Pinto for beans?
                Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                  Are you saying you can get Pinto for beans?
                  ouch, reading that hurt this early in the morning.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    With those numbers in the minors, he won't go for a buck or two in my league.
                    Yep. He was FAABed for $2 in my AL league and will likely be kept.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I grabbed him for $6 FAAB in my AL-only deep 4x4 league (30% inflation), and I'm inclined to keep him if it's clear that he'll get a lion's share of the starts by the time we freeze our rosters.

Comment

I expect he'll go from $6-9 in my league. We have a minors expansion draft at the end of August, and no one picked him up (including me).
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Reminds me of Olerud*. Given Mauer provided awesome value due to the C position for a good long time he seems like a match to Olerud for power, perhaps better BA as a 1B moving forward.
                          I'd take Mauer over Loney (can't think of another comparable close in the FA/trade pool).
                          *I did no research, just an opinion.

Comment

Good news for this Pinto owner (the player, not the car!). I have him for $5 in a 15-team mixed and may keep him at that price, since it looks like a rebuilding year after going for it and failing in 2013.

And it's not as if Mauer CAN'T catch anymore, just not full-time. Having him and Doumit on the roster creates all kinds of possibilities, including having either no backup C-only or one who's strictly defense.
                            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                            -- William James

Comment

Working...
                            X