No announcement yet.

2K24: Tampa Bay Rays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen Austin Hedges' name thrown around a lot. Given that this is a team that paid Jose Molina real money to post the worst OPS+ ever, I can definitely see how he'd be a guy the Rays would like.

Comment

Jason, would you comment on the Rays' defense and starting rotation?

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

With McGee likely out for a month or so to start the season, who gets the saves in April? Boxberger or Jepsen? Or someone else?
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
          With McGee likely out for a month or so to start the season, who gets the saves in April? Boxberger or Jepsen? Or someone else?
          I have to think Boxberger, but even if it isn't him, he is the guy I'm targeting.

Comment

Boxberger is now a Boras client. No extension possible, so the fewer saves he has on his docket when they head to arbitration, the better. Otherwise, they'll have to trade him at least a year earlier.

Comment

I have a hunch that 90% of the baseball population is underestimating just how much the Rays love Kevin Jepsen. No doubt they love Boxberger as well, but it's surprising to me how many times I've seen retreads like Frieri and Balfour mentioned without Jepsen even being listed in the conversation. I'm not sure it matters a whole lot because McGee is only out a month or so, but don't be surprised if Jepsen has more saves in that month than anyone else in that pen.

Comment

I think at least 3 reliever end up with 5 or more saves here. You can make a case for all of the options in the back end. I may be wrong here, but I don't think Boxberger is one of those three for the reasons I stated above.

If we remove him, Jepsen makes most sense out of the gate. Balfour has been flying half way across the world to deal with his dad's declining health (and death), while Frieri's delivery is being tweaked this spring. Jepsen is what he is, and he has the magic recipe of fastball/change that brought Boxberger so much success last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  I think at least 3 reliever end up with 5 or more saves here. You can make a case for all of the options in the back end. I may be wrong here, but I don't think Boxberger is one of those three for the reasons I stated above.

If we remove him, Jepsen makes most sense out of the gate. Balfour has been flying half way across the world to deal with his dad's declining health (and death), while Frieri's delivery is being tweaked this spring. Jepsen is what he is, and he has the magic recipe of fastball/change that brought Boxberger so much success last season.
                  Welp, I got swayed into going after Jepsen instead of Boxberger, but it looks like Cash is anointing Boxberger as the lead fill in while McGee is out. Was hoping to get some early saves while Jansen is out. Ah well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    Welp, I got swayed into going after Jepsen instead of Boxberger, but it looks like Cash is anointing Boxberger as the lead fill in while McGee is out. Was hoping to get some early saves while Jansen is out. Ah well.
                    I don't read that quote from Cash and get "Boxberger is the closer." He said Boxberger will be in a lot of high leverage situations. To a MLB manager "high leverage" could mean "closer" or it could mean 8th inning guy as well. Cash said the exact same thing about Jepsen 2 days ago. He was asked about Jepsen and said, paraphrasing, "We love his stuff, he's mowed them down this spring, he will be in a lot of high leverage situations." I think the editor who wrote the headline for that story kind of jumped the gun a bit. Nothing the Rays have said indicates that they publicly expect anyone specifically to be the closer while McGee is out.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                      I don't read that quote from Cash and get "Boxberger is the closer." He said Boxberger will be in a lot of high leverage situations. To a MLB manager "high leverage" could mean "closer" or it could mean 8th inning guy as well. Cash said the exact same thing about Jepsen 2 days ago. He was asked about Jepsen and said, paraphrasing, "We love his stuff, he's mowed them down this spring, he will be in a lot of high leverage situations." I think the editor who wrote the headline for that story kind of jumped the gun a bit. Nothing the Rays have said indicates that they publicly expect anyone specifically to be the closer while McGee is out.
                      Yeah, the quote is more vague than the writer of that article interprets, or rotoworld for that matter, because they took from it that Box is taking the lead.

Here is the rotoworld blurb: "Boxberger expected to fill in as Rays closer. Rays manager Kevin Cash admitted Sunday that Brad Boxberger is expected to be the Rays primary fill-in at closer while Jake McGee is sidelined."

Comment

burch smith to undergo TJ surgery.
                        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

So... is this the Tim Beckham breakout, 9 years in the making?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            Marlins relief pitching, along with just about the whole team, has been god awful. I would probably take that into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              Picked him up on Thursday morning for $1 and I'm pleased with the results so far, a HR and a SB

Comment

Anyone know what is up with Nick Franklin? I can't find anything recent. I thought he wad close to returning a week ago, but no chatter since. Is he in extended spring training? He isn't in the minors.

Comment

Working...
                                X