First Draft for 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Draft for 2014

Out in Arizona for the Fall League Symposium we did a few drafts. I was in one league and Joe (Fresno Bob) and Paul were in the other. I forgot to sign up ahead of time so they got in the first league and I ended up in the second. It'sa 15 team mixed league and we drafted the first 23 rounds, we will finish the drafts out to 50 rounds. The way they do it is they pull your name out of a hat and let you pick what draft order you want. I selected the 15th spot knowing I'd get Braun based on discussions earlier that day. Here's my team (round in parentheses), tell me what you think.

C - Yadier Molina (5)
    C - Yasmani Granal (20)
    1B - Eric Hosmer (4)
    2B - Brandon Philips (8)
    SS - Everth Cabrera (7)
    3B - Brett Lawrie (10)
    CR - Kendrys Morales (13)
    MI - Dustin Ackley (22)
    OF - Adam Jones (1)
    OF - Ryan Braun (2)
    OF - Dexter Fowler (9)
    OF - Leonys Martin (15)
    OF - Oswaldo Arcia(23)
    UT - Adam Lind (16)

P - Madison Bumgarner (3)
    P - Mike Minor (6)
    P - Hyun-Jin Ryu (14)
    P - Jarrod Parker (17)
    P - Wade Miley (18)
    P - Derek Holland (19)
    P - Geln Perkins (11)
    P - Rex Brothers (12)
    P - Jim Henderson (21)

I know I am a little light on power but other than that I like my team. However, I don't really like the Ackley pick but that's easily fixable with the later rounds coming up. I tried to go all left handed pitchers but I thought Jarrod Parker and Jim Henderson were sitting out there too long.

Paul and Joe post your teams here so we can compare.

What do you think?
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

It looks like you did a great job of drafting value in the later rounds. I can see all of these guys going earlier than you got them.

3B - Brett Lawrie (10)
    MI - Dustin Ackley (22)
    OF - Leonys Martin (15)
    OF - Oswaldo Arcia(23)
    UT - Adam Lind (16)

P - Mike Minor (6)
    P - Hyun-Jin Ryu (14)
    P - Jarrod Parker (17)
    P - Jim Henderson (21)

Team looks good overall. Agree, light on power and maybe Ks. Someone must have a good 1-2 punch of Scherzer/Lester/Kershaw/Strasburg etc. so I think you could use another good starter. Easier said than done but keep it in the back of your mind.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I didn't go for drafting a complete lineup, as we'll draft 27 more rounds in January, I tried to focus on grabbing value/ABs and will fill in holes with the rest of the picks. I had the 6th pick, 1-5 went Trout, Cabrera, Goldschmidt, McCutchen, Cano. I was hoping for Goldschmidt or McCutchen to drop to me. I also realized at the break, after round 15, that I hadn't drafted a single MI yet.....I need more Ks and average is my concern as well

C Lucroy (6)
      C
      1B Chris Davis (1)
      2b Brian Dozier (16)
      3b Josh Donaldson (5)
      SS Alcedes Escobar (17)
      MI Yunel Escobar (20)
      MI Brandon Crawford (22)
      CI Corey Hart (21)
      U Billy Butler (7)
      OF Yasiel Puig (2)
      OF Justin Upton (4)
      OF Shane Victorino (8)
      OF Josh Hamilton (11!)
      OF Eric Young Jr (14)
      OF Gerardo Parra (19)
      OF Nate Schierholtz (23)
      P Cliff Lee (3)
      P Michael Wacha (9)
      P Sonny Gray (10)
      P Patrick Corbin (12)
      P Casey Janssen (13)
      P Bobby Parnell (15)
      P Marco Estrada (18)
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Love the early looks into drafts.
        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
          It looks like you did a great job of drafting value in the later rounds. I can see all of these guys going earlier than you got them.

3B - Brett Lawrie (10)
          MI - Dustin Ackley (22)
          OF - Leonys Martin (15)
          OF - Oswaldo Arcia(23)
          UT - Adam Lind (16)

P - Mike Minor (6)
          P - Hyun-Jin Ryu (14)
          P - Jarrod Parker (17)
          P - Jim Henderson (21)

Team looks good overall. Agree, light on power and maybe Ks. Someone must have a good 1-2 punch of Scherzer/Lester/Kershaw/Strasburg etc. so I think you could use another good starter. Easier said than done but keep it in the back of your mind.
          Thanks. I was pretty happy with the draft for the most part. I can't remember what the other teams look like, it was in person so I don't have the draft results, I just wrote down my team. With 27 more rounds I'm sure I'll be drafting more starting pitchers. Once the draft is done you can't make any more pickups or even trades. So you have to really think about getting a balance of positions, a few extra catchers, etc. I'm glad I have three closers, that should be enough to keep me towards the top, provided they don't have get hurt and keep their jobs.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
            Thanks. I was pretty happy with the draft for the most part. I can't remember what the other teams look like, it was in person so I don't have the draft results, I just wrote down my team. With 27 more rounds I'm sure I'll be drafting more starting pitchers. Once the draft is done you can't make any more pickups or even trades. So you have to really think about getting a balance of positions, a few extra catchers, etc. I'm glad I have three closers, that should be enough to keep me towards the top, provided they don't have get hurt and keep their jobs.
            Wow. In that case I would grab one or two speculative guys as insurance. Santos, Fujikawa, Veras, Hanrahan, etc.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Working...
            X