No announcement yet.

2k14 Rumor Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe we should split this segment off to it's own "Worst trades of all time" thread so we can resume our regularly scheduled broadcast....
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Back on topic. From Rotoworld--

"Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Twins have agreed to a deal with Ricky Nolasco.
      No word yet on the financial terms. Nolasco, 30, posted a 3.70 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and 165/46 K/BB ratio in 199 1/3 innings this year between the Marlins and Dodgers. The right-hander should maintain considerable fantasy value with Minnesota -- and may even get a slight boost -- because of the spacious dimensions at Target Field."

Depending on the terms, this could be a very good signing by the Twins. Nolasco has far more upside than the usual Twins signee, and at age 30, may be around long enough to still be there when/if the Twins' new philosophy power arms make the majors.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

From Rotoworld today--

"Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Emilio Bonifacio has drawn trade interest from several clubs.
        The 28-year-old performed well for the Royals down the stretch after arriving from Toronto, slashing .285/.352/.348 with 11 RBI and 16 stolen bases. Dutton also notes that the Royals may decide to tender a contract to Chris Getz, as an insurance policy in case they do decide to deal Bonifacio away. Fantasy owners can only hope that Bonifacio and his exceptional wheels wind up with a starting job someplace."

I hope the interest is other teams contacting the Royals and not vice versa. Bonifacio can be maddening, and I've heard that his defense at 2B is often indifferent at best, but he can be lightning in a bottle when he's on offensively, something an almost-contender like the Royals are now (!) sorely need. Even when he's not on, he's better than the likes of Chris Getz, Irving Falu, and Johnny Giavotella, to name three of the non-entities the Royals have used at second the last few years before they acquired Bonifacio.

And yes, I've owned all three at various times. They are the kind of players who defy the Roto truism that a player who gets lots of playing time is inherently better than one who plays only sporadically.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Two more from Rotoworld--

"Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register believes that Tommy Hanson will be non-tendered by the Angels.
          The Halos had high hopes for Hanson when he was acquired from the Braves last offseason, but after a disappointing season in which he posted a 5.42 ERA, 1.55 WHIP and 56/30 K/BB ratio over 73 innings, the 27-year-old simply wouldn't be worth the raise that he'd garner in arbitration, after earning $3.725 million in 2013."

It's a shame, but Hanson simply hasn't made it back from his shoulder woes from his Atlanta days. He was darned good in 2009-10 and in 2011 until he got hurt.

"Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Marlins and Logan Morrison still have yet to have talks of a deal to avoid arbitration.
          The 26-year-old is reportedly drawing significant trade interest, and there's a strong chance that he will indeed be dealt this offseason. He's coming off a .242/.333/.375 line with six homers and 36 RBI in 85 games with the Fish in 2013."

He wasn't bad in 2011, but his last two years have been injuries, more injuries, and a lot more promise than production. The Brewers are reported to be interested, which is not surprising given their 1B situation. The question is what Milwaukee has to offer and what the Marlins want beyond just guys whom they can pay the minimum salary.

-- William James

Comment

Scott Kazmir rumored to be close to a two-year deal with Oakland, which would likely mean the A's won't pursue re-signing Bartolo Colon.

I'm not sure what this means, but considering that IMO Billy Beane (whom I have often maligned here) has done his best work as Oakland's GM the last two years, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
              And yes, I've owned all three at various times. They are the kind of players who defy the Roto truism that a player who gets lots of playing time is inherently better than one who plays only sporadically.
              Those players are the exact players I think of when I use the saying, "The good news is they play a lot, the bad news is that they play a lot."
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Rotoworld mentions a name from the past. Yankee fans, don't read this--

"Carl Pavano is healthy and hoping to pitch for someone next season.

Pavano missed all of the 2013 campaign after suffering a ruptured spleen that almost killed him, but he was cleared about six months ago to resume regular activities. The righty will turn 38 in January and posted a 6.00 ERA in his last season, though he was pitching through a strained shoulder and a bruised humerus bone in his throwing arm. Pavano will have to settle for a minor league deal."

-- William James

Comment

Today's rumors from Rotoworld--

"Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com reports that Jerome Williams has drawn interest from four American League teams and two National League teams.
                  Cotillo says that all six clubs are looking at Williams as a starter. The right-hander was non-tendered by the Angels last week after posting a 4.46 ERA and 1.34 WHIP over the last three seasons for the Halos. He should find a new home by the end of the Winter Meetings."

He's an acceptable #5 SP, maybe a #4, neither good nor bad. He's resurrected his career enough to land a decent contract. No idea where he'll land.

"Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Rockies, Braves, Mariners, Rangers, Yankees, among others, are interest in Raul Ibanez.
                  Even at 41, Ibanez still has some value as a designated hitter against right-handed pitching, but apparently some National League clubs might even consider him as an outfielder. Sherman expects Ibanez to pick his new club sometime during the Winter Meetings."

I have no idea why the Yankees would want him, given their current logjam at OF/DH. He's one of the few guys available who would drive their average age UP. I can see him with the Rangers or back with the Mariners, though. Still has some sock.

"Johan Santana's agent, Chris Leible, said that "seven or eight" teams have reached out to express interest in his client.
                  The Mets are one of those clubs, but it sounds like they'll have some competition. Santana is coming back from a second surgery to repair a re-tear of his shoulder capsule in April, but he expects to be ready to go for spring training. The veteran lefty will surely have to settle for a one-year, incentive-laden deal."

This off-season's ultimate wild card. Would the Yankees roll the dice with him (to name a team that can afford it if he bombs)? Would a small-market contender dare to risk a complete waste of several million dollars on him? Personally, I'd rather take a chance on Roy Halladay, but who knows.

"CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Cubs, Orioles and Mariners are among the teams interested in John Axford.
                  All three clubs have unsettled ninth inning situations, which would certainly appeal to Axford. The 30-year-old was non-tendered by the Cardinals last week but isn't going to have trouble getting someone to bet on him bouncing back. He put up a 4.02 ERA with 65 strikeouts over 65 innings for the Brewers and Cardinals in 2013."

He really wasn't that bad last year, just not good enough to close. May have to settle for MR money, though.

"Chad Jennings of Journal News reports that the Yankees have mentioned Ichiro Suzuki’s name in trade talks with other clubs.
                  Ichiro doesn't have a starting job following the signings of Jacoby Ellsbury and Carlos Beltran, which is why the Yankees are testing out the market for him. The problem is that Ichiro is due $6.5 million in 2014 and really isn't more than a fourth outfielder at this point, so the Yanks would receive very little in return. Suzuki batted just .262/.297/.342 last season."

They shouldn't have much trouble finding a taker if they pay most or almost all of his salary. I doubt that he has much left, but consider what he used to be able to do.

-- William James

Comment

Masahiro Tanaka question: What would prevent the Golden Eagles from trading Tanaka to a MLB team for a player and cash considerations...like something in excess of $20 mil?
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Masahiro Tanaka question: What would prevent the Golden Eagles from trading Tanaka to a MLB team for a player and cash considerations...like something in excess of $20 mil?
                      There's no precedence for trades between MLB & NPB. Probably rules preventing that as well.

Comment

Detroit is now considered the frontrunner for Rajai Davis (.260/.312/.375/45 SB). Minnesota is also mentioned as a contender.

From Rotoworld--

"Daniel Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal reports that the Yankees have asked the Reds about Homer Bailey.
                        The Reds have been listed as a possible suitor for Brett Gardner, so Barbarisi reasons that the two could be swapped for each other. You'd have to imagine that the Yankees would have to give up more than Gardner if they really wanted Bailey, though, and the Reds have given no indication that they'd part with the right-hander."

The WSJ being renowned for its sports coverage, of course.

Jason Hammel supposedly receiving interest from a dozen teams. I have no idea why, unless someone really needs someone from teh low end of "innings eaters".

Arizona trying to get Mark Trumbo from the Angels, offering pitching.

-- William James

Comment

potential 3-way deal, DBacks - White Sox - Angels

Trumbo -> DBacks
                          A. Eaton -> ChiSox
                          H. Santiago + Skaggs -> Angels

mlbtraderumors
                          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

What a snoozefest this Winter Meetings is!

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                              potential 3-way deal, DBacks - White Sox - Angels

Trumbo -> DBacks
                              A. Eaton -> ChiSox
                              H. Santiago + Skaggs -> Angels

mlbtraderumors
                              Pretty sure this is dead on arrival...I hear that Arizona probably wouldn't do Skaggs for Trumbo straight up, so throwing an extra body in there doesn't make sense, nor does it from the Chicago perspective. The only winner in this would be the Angels...
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                                Pretty sure this is dead on arrival...I hear that Arizona probably wouldn't do Skaggs for Trumbo straight up, so throwing an extra body in there doesn't make sense, nor does it from the Chicago perspective. The only winner in this would be the Angels...
                                If I'm reading this right, Arizona will get "two good prospects" as well.

RotoWorld:

MLB.com's Steve Gilbert reports that if the Diamondbacks complete a trade for Angels slugger Mark Trumbo, they would also receive a pair of good prospects.
                                The latest rumor involves the Angels, Diamondbacks, and the White Sox involved in a three-way trade. Reportedly, the Diamondbacks would receive Trumbo and two prospects, the Angels would get Tyler Skaggs and Hector Santiago, and the White Sox would get Adam Eaton. Trumbo, who spent most of his time at first base and DH with the Angels last season, would play in the outfield in Arizona.
                                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X