2k14 Rumor Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    Ignoring the steroids controversy surrounding Braun that would be the absolute worst trade ever. Worse than Babe Ruth for cash. OK, maybe the second worst trade ever. I believe the Brewers fans will forgive Braun and everything will be ok. He and the organization have done a great job so far in working towards regaining the fans trust.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

@Ken_Rosenthal
      Source: #Angels trade Bourjos to #STLCards. Freese presumably going to Anaheim. That part presently unconfirmed.
      Interesting. Gotta love this deal for the Cards if true, but they don't really need more outfielders.

Comment

M's are rumored to be looking at Brian Wilson or Grant Balfour according to Ken Rosenthal.

I just don't get the M's chasing a closer. It's a questionable move for most any team these days, but most especially for a team that isn't even winning at a .500% clip (much less contending). The LAST thing the Mariners need is to dish out any kind of large contract for a closer. If it was the end of the off-season, and Seattle had money remaining in the budget, and there were still guys available like Wilson or Balfour who would take a 1-year deal, that's the only time it makes any sense.

Man, Jack Zduriencik turned out to be a real turd, didn't he? Please fire him soon, Seattle.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          I have never been so wrong about a GM in my life. I thought he would be awesome for the Ms.
          You and me both, man

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
            You and me both, man
            And me. That being said, Wilson one a one year deal wouldn't be bad
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              @Ken_Rosenthal

Interesting. Gotta love this deal for the Cards if true, but they don't really need more outfielders.
              On the contrary, last year showed that they have a real need for a true centerfielder, and nobody is better than Bourjos. If he can stay healthy, he's got a chance to be a real top level player...
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                And me. That being said, Wilson one a one year deal wouldn't be bad
                Why would it be good? This team is no where near needing a "proven" + health questions closer let alone being financially strong enough to pay for one. Keep that cash in the coffers and continue to attempt to develop talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
                  Why would it be good? This team is no where near needing a "proven" + health questions closer let alone being financially strong enough to pay for one. Keep that cash in the coffers and continue to attempt to develop talent.
                  The Mariners are only in the mid-80s payroll. They're owned by Nintendo. Cash isn't a problem here. Plus, I don't think Wilson's going to command a huge contract, and it certainly won't be for more than a year. They can buy him for a year and keep developing talent.

What is a problem is getting pitchers not named Hernandez or Iwakuma to pitch deep into games. Building a deep bullpen will help competitiveness this year, and Wilson's a moderate risk, high return potential piece to add.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    The Mariners are only in the mid-80s payroll. They're owned by Nintendo. Cash isn't a problem here. Plus, I don't think Wilson's going to command a huge contract, and it certainly won't be for more than a year. They can buy him for a year and keep developing talent.

What is a problem is getting pitchers not named Hernandez or Iwakuma to pitch deep into games. Building a deep bullpen will help competitiveness this year, and Wilson's a moderate risk, high return potential piece to add.
                    I can't recall where I read it (the last 2 weeks) but Wilson was looking for a closing gig and salary well above $5 million (8-9 I think). Unrealistic? Yes. Teams spending money stupidly, happens. M's overpaying for someone ... anyone ... to join this team - can't say I put it past the GM and Org right now.

While it wouldn't be "bad" I still fail to see the "good" in a bad team paying even a lower tier "closer" dollars when they simply won't contend.

Comment

I can't recall where I read it (the last 2 weeks) but Wilson was looking for a closing gig and salary well above $5 million (8-9 I think). Unrealistic? Yes. Teams spending money stupidly, happens. M's overpaying for someone ... anyone ... to join this team - can't say I put it past the GM and Org right now.

While it wouldn't be "bad" I still fail to see the "good" in a bad team paying even a lower tier "closer" dollars when they simply won't contend.
                      Agreed. Unless it's the end of the off-season and the M's have some cash left over in the budget to make a one-year signing of a closer/reliever, I don't see how this would be wise for Seattle. The Mariners actually have a boatload of budget room this off-season (I've seen reports of $25 million in the media, but I think it's probably more in the $35-45 million range with the possibility that it could be up to $55 million. The only two guys with decent-sized contracts in 2014 are Felix and Iwakuma who total $28.5 million combined, and everyone else is either minimum salary or early arbitration along with a few small buyouts.)

They have a plethora of needs and they're going to want to maximize the talent they get back with that cash. So their best bet isn't to go and waste $8-10 million in 2014 on Wilson or Balfour. They need at least one starting pitcher, a first baseman, a DH, and probably two outfielders (depending on what happens with Ackley). I say worry about those big positions first and let the bullpen sort itself out at the end.
                      Last edited by Bodhizefa; 11-23-2013, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                        Ignoring the steroids controversy surrounding Braun that would be the absolute worst trade ever. Worse than Babe Ruth for cash. OK, maybe the second worst trade ever. I believe the Brewers fans will forgive Braun and everything will be ok. He and the organization have done a great job so far in working towards regaining the fans trust.
                        Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas, Dick Simpson, and Jack Baldschun takes the title as far as baseball people in my area are concerned.
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

I can. A strong bullpen will help the team resist the temptation to run up Dusty Baker-like pitch counts on their young arms coming up. A good 8 and 9 inning combo to lock down the wins they get will be good for building confidence in a young staff.

That being said, I'd be surprised if Wilson would command 8-10 mil even in this market, but then, I never expected Jason Vargas to get $30+ million out of anyone, either.

Comment

Pedro for Delino DeShields.

Yeah, that's pretty much the epic-est fail of the modern era.

Comment

Blue Jays putting together a prospect package to deal for Jeff Samardjzigdsgzzzzjjjdza.
                              I like it. He will be a healthy version of Brandon Morrow - K per IP and eat innings.

That said, I read that the Cubs will want an OF, possibly Gose, who is growing on me, so I hope they can put other pieces together.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Pedro for Delino DeShields.

I think it all depends on where you live and who you root for. Yankees fans may pick the Jay Buhner deal with Seattle, Mets fans Scott Kazmir to Tampa Bay for Victor Zambrano, we Pirates fans the Aramis Ramirez to the Cubs or Jason Schmidt to SF deals.

What made the Frank Robinson trade to Baltimore an epic fail was that it was clearly racially motivated (Robinson was not shy about how he and his wife were being treated by team employees, up to and including team owner-President-GM Bill DeWitt, thinking that a former ROY and MVP should not be hassled on a daily basis) and that the deal was dime-on-the-dollar. Robby got his revenge in 1966 (Triple Crown, MVP, World Series win over LA) and 1970 (another WS win, over the Reds), but I don't think he ever forgave how he was unceremoniously booted by an owner who tried to justify the deal by saying he was "an old 30".
                                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                                -- William James

Comment

Working...
                                X