Things I didn't know about baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I didn't know about baseball

The Cards will never know how lucky they were in that seventh inning. It appeared as if Kozma may have left third base early on the flyball. The Red Sox seemed ready to appeal. However, when Breslow threw the ball into the seats, the ball was dead and no appeal was possible. The play stood. The Cards dodged a bullet.
    http://thestar.blogs.com/baseball/

I didn't know that the ball must stay in the field of play in order to allow for an appeal. Hmm.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

I checked the replay Kozma did not leave early. That's an interesting little tidbit in the rule book though.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

One of the radio announcers said that the Red Sox could have relieved Breslow in the middle of the at bat, which I didn't know you could do (outside of an injury). From the way they talked, Kozma was in Breslow's head at 2B during the Descalso AB. I would have yanked him for Uehara as soon as I saw that.
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
        One of the radio announcers said that the Red Sox could have relieved Breslow in the middle of the at bat, which I didn't know you could do (outside of an injury). From the way they talked, Kozma was in Breslow's head at 2B during the Descalso AB. I would have yanked him for Uehara as soon as I saw that.
        I thought that while watching the game... not the yanking him part, but just, ignore the runner and get the out...
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
          If I remember right the only thing with changing pitchers mid at bat is that they aren't given any warm up pitches.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            If I remember right the only thing with changing pitchers mid at bat is that they aren't given any warm up pitches.
            If it's because of injury, the new pitcher gets "all the time he needs".
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Working...
            X