Bailey
    Minor
    Shelby Miller
    Cole
    Cueto
    Teheran
    Cingrani
    Wacha

The top 8 are pretty clear to me. I can see Wacha fall into the 9th or 10th spot on some lists.
    ElD courageously declared Wacha to be a top 10 pitcher

I think that the 8 listed seem to belong but am not sure of 9/10 - and also am not certain that Timmy is really done - anyone else want to weigh in

I'll take MadBum over Cain for sure. And I think I'd take Cole and Teheran before I took Wacha.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      I'll take MadBum over Cain for sure. And I think I'd take Cole and Teheran before I took Wacha.
      Yeah, Bumgarner over Cain and maybe Grienke. Oversight on my part. In my league I'd probably take a couple of the stud closers over Cain also.

I don't think Timmy cracks my top 20 (NL-only pitcher list).
      edit: timmy is not in my top 30 SP and I'd take at least 10 closers in front of him but I think he'll improve next year.
      Last edited by whalewang; 10-25-2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

No love for Francisco Liriano?
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
          No love for Francisco Liriano?
          His success was built upon a historical line vs LH batters. That's going to be very tough to repeat and thus some backsliding is likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            He's got as good as good a chance to be a 3.75 pitcher with a 1.30 WHIP as a pitcher with a 3.00 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP. The league WILL adjust to him...
            Bloody doubtful. The Cardinals are one of the best - if not the best - teams in terms of developing and delivering productive starting pitchers. They had a lot of options to choose from. Joe Kelly regressing with his sub 2:1 K:BB ratio? Sure, I can see that. Lynn is pretty much WYSISYG at upper 3s ERA and 1.3ish WHIP. But Wacha's at least as good as Shelby Miller - and having seen both of them at Memphis before they were called up, I'd take Wacha in a minute. It's not just his stuff and location - both of which are extremely good already - but add his mound poise, and short of a catastrophic arm injury, he's going to be special. Shoot, game 2 of the World Series - in Fenway, with around 100 pitches under his belt, and having just been taken deep by Big Papi, and the crowd going absolutely insane, and what does he do? Simply blows Mike Napoli away. Finishes off Buff Jonny and ends the inning with no more damage.

IMO, look at Shelby Miller's numbers this year, and I'd expect Wacha to meet or better them next year. Or, to put it in Nats parlance, he has near-Strasburg type stuff with Jordan Zimmerman like presence.

The only disagreement I'd have with rating Wacha a NL top ten for next year is he'll probably be capped at 170 - 180 IP.

EDIT TO ADD: If I were going to argue with elD on his rankings, it'd be with Latos. Still young, but proven to be about as much of a lock as a pitcher can be for 3.4 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, and 185 strikeouts, with upside. Plus, Dusty Baker is gone.
            Last edited by chancellor; 10-25-2013, 09:53 PM.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              Bloody doubtful. The Cardinals are one of the best - if not the best - teams in terms of developing and delivering productive starting pitchers. They had a lot of options to choose from. Joe Kelly regressing with his sub 2:1 K:BB ratio? Sure, I can see that. Lynn is pretty much WYSISYG at upper 3s ERA and 1.3ish WHIP. But Wacha's at least as good as Shelby Miller - and having seen both of them at Memphis before they were called up, I'd take Wacha in a minute. It's not just his stuff and location - both of which are extremely good already - but add his mound poise, and short of a catastrophic arm injury, he's going to be special. Shoot, game 2 of the World Series - in Fenway, with around 100 pitches under his belt, and having just been taken deep by Big Papi, and the crowd going absolutely insane, and what does he do? Simply blows Mike Napoli away. Finishes off Buff Jonny and ends the inning with no more damage.

IMO, look at Shelby Miller's numbers this year, and I'd expect Wacha to meet or better them next year. Or, to put it in Nats parlance, he has near-Strasburg type stuff with Jordan Zimmerman like presence.

The only disagreement I'd have with rating Wacha a NL top ten for next year is he'll probably be capped at 170 - 180 IP.

EDIT TO ADD: If I were going to argue with elD on his rankings, it'd be with Latos. Still young, but proven to be about as much of a lock as a pitcher can be for 3.4 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, and 185 strikeouts, with upside. Plus, Dusty Baker is gone.
              Man, you guys live in small sample size theatre...while you both may very well be right, I'll give it at LEAST a full season before I make an assessment based on the organizations record (still quite incomplete), and a couple of playoff games. There was a reason that 18 teams passed on Wacha...looks like they're wrong at this point, but something's up there.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

agreed on caution re sample size, but especially in MLB, teams don't just draft players based on their list on a draft board. signability is huge, also where the franchise is in the rebuilding process, a need to take chances or not, depth of that position in your organization.... a lot is in play.

maybe our Astroboy can elaborate, only in general of course....
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  agreed on caution re sample size, but especially in MLB, teams don't just draft players based on their list on a draft board. signability is huge, also where the franchise is in the rebuilding process, a need to take chances or not, depth of that position in your organization.... a lot is in play.

maybe our Astroboy can elaborate, only in general of course....
                  True, but don't you usually hear about the guys who are going to be difficult to sign? This guy is a star QB with offers everywhere, the other guy wants to do something else...and I don't recall anything like that with Wacha. But that is a moot point, the kid was drafted, and now he's pitching lights out on the biggest stage the sport has to offer. Kind of like John Lackey did in 2002...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    agreed on caution re sample size, but especially in MLB, teams don't just draft players based on their list on a draft board. signability is huge
                    Signability is huge, and not in the same way it was before the last couple drafts. Then it used be mainly what Hornsby says, where it only applied to a few exceptional two-sport athletes and such. Now with the draft bonus pools capped, it applies to everyone in the first 10 rounds. One of our main tasks before the June draft is to assess the signability of every single player on our draft board.

FWIW, Wacha's signing bonus was at slot value.

also where the franchise is in the rebuilding process, a need to take chances or not, depth of that position in your organization
                    These are very minor considerations, if at all, particularly when looking at a specific player. Some teams may want to compensate for a lack of depth at certain positions in their system, which will influence who they take over the course of the whole draft, but rarely will it keep them from taking who they perceive to be the best player available in the early rounds of the draft.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

thanks for the insights, KS!
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        Signability is huge, and not in the same way it was before the last couple drafts. Then it used be mainly what Hornsby says, where it only applied to a few exceptional two-sport athletes and such. Now with the draft bonus pools capped, it applies to everyone in the first 10 rounds. One of our main tasks before the June draft is to assess the signability of every single player on our draft board.

FWIW, Wacha's signing bonus was at slot value.

These are very minor considerations, if at all, particularly when looking at a specific player. Some teams may want to compensate for a lack of depth at certain positions in their system, which will influence who they take over the course of the whole draft, but rarely will it keep them from taking who they perceive to be the best player available in the early rounds of the draft.
                        Thanks Mike, always nice to have factual insight from someone in the know...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          Just like there was a reason Mike Piazza was drafted in the 62nd round, eh? Or just like there was a reason Tim Beckham or Brian Bullington or Brien Taylor went at #1, eh? Lol.
                          Yep, sometimes all teams see the same things, and they're all wrong. It happens, as sports illustrates all the time, Tom Brady ring a bell? 6th rounder. Ryan Leaf? 2nd pick overall...

It ain't an exact science...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Man, you guys live in small sample size theatre...while you both may very well be right, I'll give it at LEAST a full season before I make an assessment based on the organizations record (still quite incomplete), and a couple of playoff games. There was a reason that 18 teams passed on Wacha...looks like they're wrong at this point, but something's up there.
                            Well, I've also had the benefit of seeing him in Memphis, so it's not like I've not seen him throw 96ish with great command only at the MLB level. Or display a quality change. Or show great ratios only in MLB. But what really separates him from the pack of young pitchers with great arms and talent is his mound presence, IMO. As an example, Wily Peralta of the Brewers has great natural stuff and is more physically imposing than Wacha, but he has limited baseball IQ and awful mound presence.

That 18 teams passed on him is unsurprising to me, one needs only look at the depth of pitching in the Cards organization to realize they're ahead of the curve on something in player evaluation when it comes to pitchers.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              That 18 teams passed on him is unsurprising to me, one needs only look at the depth of pitching in the Cards organization to realize they're ahead of the curve on something in player evaluation when it comes to pitchers.
                              People in Houston may have noticed that.

general manager Jeff Luhnow - former Cards VP of scouting and player development
                              director of decision sciences Sig Mejdal - former Cards director of amateur draft analytics
                              amateur scouting director Mike Elias - former Cards regional crosschecker
                              international director Oz Ocampo - former Cards coordinator of Latin American scouting
                              west coast supervisor Kris Gross - former Cards Midwest area scout
                              major league pitching coach Brent Strom - former Cards minor league pitching coordinator
                              minor league pitching coordinator Dyar Miller - former Cards bullpen coach
                              NY-Penn League pitching coach Doug White - former Cards Appy League pitching coach
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                              X