No announcement yet.

2K24: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the Yanks are willing to listen to offers for Gardner.

Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that the Yankees are willing to listen to trade offers on Brett Gardner.
    They have already received significant interest in Gardner since Friday's signing of Carlos Beltran, and though they aren't actively shopping him, the Yankees outfield is extremely crowded and he could net a useful return. The Bombers currently boast an outfield contingent of Gardner, Jacoby Ellsbury, Beltran, Alfonso Soriano, Ichiro Suzuki and Vernon Wells.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Why would the Reds do that? It's far easier to find a slightly better than average outfielder (Gardner to a tee) than a good starting pitcher. Bailey has superior stuff, 2 no hitters IIRC, and is still young and learning. There is virtually no chance the Reds would deal Bailey for any of the Yanks position players...
      You are way overvaluing the inconsistent Bailey. Both he and Gardner are free agents after the year. Yes, Gardner is an average OF but he fits the Reds' biggest need; a good defensive CF that can bat leadoff. The Reds last big move was to trade for Choo because they know they need this type of player. Name another FA that they can plug into CF/leadoff? The obvious answer is Choo but Jockerty said that he was priced out on Choo.

Comment

Gardner for Bailey makes more sense from the Cincinnati end than Gardner for Phillips. Even if they don't have an immediate replacement for Bailey available within the system, they can find one on the FA market or deal low-level "prospects" to a struggling team that needs future help. IMO it's easier to move your #4-5 starters up a notch and find someone to be the #5 than it is to find a good 2B.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by mike9289 View Post
          You are way overvaluing the inconsistent Bailey. Both he and Gardner are free agents after the year. Yes, Gardner is an average OF but he fits the Reds' biggest need; a good defensive CF that can bat leadoff. The Reds last big move was to trade for Choo because they know they need this type of player. Name another FA that they can plug into CF/leadoff? The obvious answer is Choo but Jockerty said that he was priced out on Choo.
          Pitchers are the gold standard of baseball, clubs do not move them unless they get a significant return for them. Scott Feldman signed for 30 million yesterday, SCOTT FELDMAN! I simply don't see anyway that the Reds deal Bailey off for a one year rental in Gardner...

I suspect that Billy Hamilton gets a legitimate shot at starting to the Reds on CF this season...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

From Rotoworld--

"Yankees re-signed RHP Hiroki Kuroda to a one-year, $16 million contract.
            Kuroda had debated heading back to Japan, but has opted for another one-year pact with the Bombers instead. The 38-year-old hurler was the most consistent starter in the Yankees rotation last season, posting a 3.31 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 150/43 K/BB ratio over 201 1/3 innings. Even with Kuroda in tow however, there is still plenty of work to be done in the Yankees rotation."

If true, nice work by both sides, everything done calmly and quietly without negotiating via the media.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Billy Hamilton will be the Reds' starting CFer and leadoff hitter.

Bailey for Gardner isn't a bad offer, but Bailey has gotten better and better every season of his career. Every metric has improved: K/9, K/BB, ERA, WHIP, etc. I think Bailey is quite valuable and the Reds will re-sign him.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

Bailey for Gardner isn't a bad offer, but Bailey has gotten better and better every season of his career. Every metric has improved: K/9, K/BB, ERA, WHIP, etc. I think Bailey is quite valuable and the Reds will re-sign him.
                Agreed.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

Not that it belongs in a Yankees thread, but I'm not so sure Bailey really wants to re-sign with the Reds. Between the ballpark and how he was pretty much thrown under the bus by some of the front office when he struggled a few years ago after all the hype the team had going on, he may feel more comfortable elsewhere. Maybe he's "future Yankee Homer Bailey" after 2014?

He's not a #1 or #2 starter, but he's darned good for a #3 right now.

-- William James

Comment

Another trade idea, how about Nunez to the Mets for Murphy. The Mets are desperate for a SS and want to open 2B for Young. The Yanks have Ryan to back up jeter and Nunez can't play any other position. Any thoughts on this proposal?

Comment

Another trade idea, how about Nunez to the Mets for Murphy. The Mets are desperate for a SS and want to open 2B for Young. The Yanks have Ryan to back up jeter and Nunez can't play any other position. Any thoughts on this proposal?
                      I think the Mets would be getting hosed here. Murphy has a career 108 OPS+ to Nunez's 87. Gardner for Murphy would make sense.

Comment

Question about ARod and his suspension. I'm sorry if this has been covered somewhere else. He's been saying that if he doesn't like the ruling he's going to take it to the Federal courts. Can he do that? My thought is that the ruling for the appeals process is final as this process is something that has been agreed upon by MLB and the players union.

Also, when is the decision for the appeal going to be made?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          Question about ARod and his suspension. I'm sorry if this has been covered somewhere else. He's been saying that if he doesn't like the ruling he's going to take it to the Federal courts. Can he do that? My thought is that the ruling for the appeals process is final as this process is something that has been agreed upon by MLB and the players union.

Also, when is the decision for the appeal going to be made?
                          In the typical arbitration process - and I do not know whether or not this process is typical or what the CBA says about the process - a party can take the matter to federal court and challenge the arbitrator's ruling. However, it is VERY difficult to overturn the arbitrator's decision. Typically, the only bases for challenge are:

-the award was procured by corruption, fraud, or undue means;
                          -there was evident partiality or corruption in the arbitrators;
                          -the arbitrators were guilty of misconduct in refusing to postpone the hearing, even in light of sufficient cause shown, or in refusing to hear evidence pertinent and material to the controversy, or of any other misbehavior by which the rights of any party have been prejudiced;
                          the arbitrators exceeded their powers, or so imperfectly executed them that a mutual, final, and definite award upon the subject matter submitted was not made; or
                          -the arbitrators disregarded a clearly defined law or legal principle applicable to the case before them (Manifest Disregard of the Law)

I'd imagine Arod would argue that the arbitrator refused to hear evidence pertinent and material to the controversy (i.e. Selig's testimony). I don't think we know why the arbitrator rejected Arod's request to bring in Selig, but I'd think that's the road Arod will go down. Good luck to Arod on an appeal-he'll need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewski View Post
                            In the typical arbitration process - and I do not know whether or not this process is typical or what the CBA says about the process - a party can take the matter to federal court and challenge the arbitrator's ruling. However, it is VERY difficult to overturn the arbitrator's decision. Typically, the only bases for challenge are:

-the award was procured by corruption, fraud, or undue means;
                            -there was evident partiality or corruption in the arbitrators;
                            -the arbitrators were guilty of misconduct in refusing to postpone the hearing, even in light of sufficient cause shown, or in refusing to hear evidence pertinent and material to the controversy, or of any other misbehavior by which the rights of any party have been prejudiced;
                            the arbitrators exceeded their powers, or so imperfectly executed them that a mutual, final, and definite award upon the subject matter submitted was not made; or
                            -the arbitrators disregarded a clearly defined law or legal principle applicable to the case before them (Manifest Disregard of the Law)

I'd imagine Arod would argue that the arbitrator refused to hear evidence pertinent and material to the controversy (i.e. Selig's testimony). I don't think we know why the arbitrator rejected Arod's request to bring in Selig, but I'd think that's the road Arod will go down. Good luck to Arod on an appeal-he'll need it.
                            Thanks. So I guess he can appeal, and I'm sure he will since he seems to be just an intent on clearing his name as Selig is on running him out of baseball. I want them both to go away.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                              Thanks. So I guess he can appeal, and I'm sure he will since he seems to be just an intent on clearing his name as Selig is on running him out of baseball. I want them both to go away.
                              I'm not a lawyer, so this is just the skeptic in me speaking, but I'm going to guess that A-Rod may even know that he has almost no shot at getting an appeal in Federal Court. However, as we know with anything related to law and our government, everything takes way longer than it should. I'm wondering if it's possible A-Rod sees trying to get it into Federal Court as a win-win even if it doesn't get that far. There's going to be some time delay until a decision is made regarding if it can even be heard in Federal Court. Which could, possibly get him through part, most or even all of the 2014 season?

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                                I'm not a lawyer, so this is just the skeptic in me speaking, but I'm going to guess that A-Rod may even know that he has almost no shot at getting an appeal in Federal Court. However, as we know with anything related to law and our government, everything takes way longer than it should. I'm wondering if it's possible A-Rod sees trying to get it into Federal Court as a win-win even if it doesn't get that far. There's going to be some time delay until a decision is made regarding if it can even be heard in Federal Court. Which could, possibly get him through part, most or even all of the 2014 season?
                                Let's say that A-Roid's shysters take the case to federal court, but doesn't get an injunction forcing MLB to allow him to play pending a resolution. Then, when it finally does go to court, he wins. Do the Yankees have to extend his contract in order for him to fulfill his end and collect his money, or does he "just" get the money?

-- William James

Comment

Working...
                                X