No announcement yet.

2K24: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not a Yankees fan, so I have no axe to grind. I could even care less about Pettitte's PED use. But retiring his number? Seriously? A career ERA+ under 120, and a 1.35ish WHIP? This is tragic.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
      It's like attempting to watch the Olympics. They spend so much time on The Narrative that there's precious little time for The Competition to be shown.

Let the player rise and fall on his own merits (and I hope this one rises) and never mind The Heart-Warming Story.
      Who exactly are you referring to?

Comment

It's like attempting to watch the Olympics. They spend so much time on The Narrative that there's precious little time for The Competition to be shown.

Let the player rise and fall on his own merits (and I hope this one rises) and never mind The Heart-Warming Story.
        Is the off season, in a thread about the Yankees n from a guy who writes about new York. If there's a narrative bring pushed here, it's yours.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
          I think he was referring to Refsnyder getting some sort of affirmative action-esque promotion to the big leagues because of his color and not the merits of his performance.
          Yes, but he posted this because of what he said was historical Yankee "narrative." Such as with who?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            Yes, but he posted this because of what he said was historical Yankee "narrative." Such as with who?
            For as long as I've been alive (which is pretty long compared to most here), the Yankees more than anyone else have made big deals about the backgrounds of their players. As far as I'm concerned, there doesn't have to be some big "human interest" story behind every player. Let them play, let them win, and there will be interest enough. Perhaps I'm wrong and/or in the minority on this, but I don't care about a player's race, culture, background, religion, relations, preferences, education, or much else. I care about whether he can play the game well.

So good luck to Mr. Refsnyder. I wish him a long and successful career. I hope he becomes that 21-century rara avis--an internally-developed Yankees regular. The rest is BS in my book.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

For as long as I've been alive (which is pretty long compared to most here), the Yankees more than anyone else have made big deals about the backgrounds of their players. As far as I'm concerned, there doesn't have to be some big "human interest" story behind every player. Let them play, let them win, and there will be interest enough. Perhaps I'm wrong and/or in the minority on this, but I don't care about a player's race, culture, background, religion, relations, preferences, education, or much else. I care about whether he can play the game well.
              Such as....?

I've lived in the NYC area forever. And I've hated the Yankees over that entire time. But honestly, I don't have a clue what you're talking about. Who are we talking about here? What player has won a job because of a "human interest story?"

Comment

• I posted the Refsnyder story, and I'm not a Yankees fan, either.

He's a good, though not great, prospect, and it's an unusual background.

I would greatly respect the player as passionately wanting to be the role model for adopted kids.

The story suggests that's not really his passion, but even at his young age he realizes that many will look up to him, and he will stand up for that. I find that even more impressive.

No matter what team he was close to reaching the majors with, it's still a nice human interest story. I'd have posted it no matter what team it was.

And if he ain't good enough, he won't make it. It took 100 years or so, but we found ourselves a meritocracy.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Ray, enjoy life. Stop finding something negative to say about everything. Maybe try decaf
                  "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                    Ray, enjoy life. Stop finding something negative to say about everything. Maybe try decaf
                    Enjoying my coffee, man. Admiring the pretty snow on the ground outside, now that it's mostly cleared from the streets. Joyful that I haven't watched Fox News in months or MSNBC in weeks, even accidentally. Congratulating myself on being tied for first place in all my leagues. Counting the days until Opening Day, when the blather subsides and what matters starts.

Conversation with my pal Joel (New Rochelle native, Columbia Law grad, rabid Yankees fan) last month, one we enjoy every winter--

Joel: The Yankees are in first place!
                    Me: And last. We're both happy. Isn't the off-season great?
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

• Sabathia reported to camp at 305 pounds....by design

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        Sabathia reported to camp at 305 pounds....by design

http://t.co/VHyu5rxfwK
                        Is aiming for more wins than the Knicks a worthy goal?
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          Is aiming for more wins than the Knicks a worthy goal?
                          If you happen to play for the 76ers it is.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Stephen Drew has been turrble (5-for-31) while Rob Refsnyder (7-for-24) and Jose Pirela (10-for-27 w/.630 SLG) have been great. Will the new-look Yanks really go with Drew over either one of these two? Pirela got a concussion yesterday, which was bad timing on his part, but I think Drew needs to show some signs of life here.

Carlos Beltran has also shown signs of slowing down, but there's nothing really on the horizon here besides Chris Young to help out.

CC Sabathia got smoked by the Mets, but apparently was hitting 93 on his fastball, up a few mph from last season.

Comment

• Garrett Jones is going to get his first game in the outfield soon. He isn't good out there but it's not like Beltran is the Gold Glove version of himself either. While Teix and A-Rod are 'healthy' you may see some GI Jones in the outfield

Comment

• They'll open with Drew at 2B while Refsnyder works out his fielding kinks-- the infield defense should be very good (Tex, Drew, Headley, Gregorious) so they'll see what Drew has for a couple of months and hope that Refsnyder, who is converting for a corner OF position, can get the glove right.

Sabathia's lack of location after so long a layoff isn't a big worry; the fact that in March he's up on the gun compared to where he was last year at the time he got hurt is good news. Beltran is Beltran at this stage; if he's really bad they'll give Heathcott or Flores a shot (if Heathcott hasn't hurt himself again).
                                "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Working...
                                X