No announcement yet.

2K24: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing about this Drew deal that frustrates me is they still have Brendan Ryan who is an "elite defender who will provide value even if he bats zero" as eldiablo describes Drew. Of course in Ryan's case you can take the if out of that sentence and replace it with when. Right now Ryan is wasting a spot on the roster. Maybe they will just waive him. They need to make a move to get down to 40 players so maybe he'll be the guy.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Hmm, good point.

I just saw some amusing trade ideas from Yankee fans on another site regarding Ryan. Fanboys come up with the most hilarious trade proposals.
      Ryan for Hamels. The Yanks will offer to eat Ryan's AND Hamels' salaries. I can't believe Philly hasn't agreed to that yet.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Drew is a steal. I guess he's undervalued by Yankee fans because of his bad year last year. Of course, had he had a good year you wouldn't be getting him for $5M. Drew is an elite defender who will provide value even if he bats zero. Good job by the Yankees diminishing that value though, I guess. I think the Yankee offseason has been a total trainwreck with no discernible direction whatsoever. Of course, I have no faith in Gregorius at all and imagine that Drew as "insurance" is a good idea even if Drew should be the starter anyway. This team looks totally lost at sea to me. I like it.
        Drew will be the starter at 2B, and the plan is still for Gregorius and Ryan to platoon. Then again, the plan was for Refsnyder and Pirela to split 2B, so who knows what's really going to happen here. They publicly say one thing and then do another.

Comment

• The up the middle defense is really going to be strong for them

Comment

Drew is a steal. I guess he's undervalued by Yankee fans because of his bad year last year. Of course, had he had a good year you wouldn't be getting him for $5M. Drew is an elite defender who will provide value even if he bats zero. Good job by the Yankees diminishing that value though, I guess. I think the Yankee offseason has been a total trainwreck with no discernible direction whatsoever. Of course, I have no faith in Gregorius at all and imagine that Drew as "insurance" is a good idea even if Drew should be the starter anyway. This team looks totally lost at sea to me. I like it.
            I view Ryan and Gregorius as being essentially the same player, so I have no idea why the Yankees would carry both. Gregorius is younger and for that reason may have more upside. If Drew isn't hitting, he's the same player, too. Their theme music should be a Led Zep remix entitled "Whole Lotta Glove".
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

• Cashman thinks it's NL 1975, when you can platoon two mediocre players at a D position because you only have 10 pitchers. will be amazed if both Ryan and Didi really get to do this. ooh, SCARY pinch-hitters! lol

their middle INF D will be hugely improved, admittedly.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Hmm, good point.

I just saw some amusing trade ideas from Yankee fans on another site regarding Ryan. Fanboys come up with the most hilarious trade proposals.
                I always laugh at True Believer "they should trade so-and-so for so-and-so" scenarios. The one that always makes me chuckle was back in 1997 (?), when the A's were going to trade Mark McGwire. Someone here in Cincinnati proposed a straight-up McGwire-for-Hal Morris deal--and in a newspaper poll, over half of the responders called it a fair trade.

So it's not just Yankees fans, although they are the "best" at this game.
                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  Cashman thinks it's NL 1975, when you can platoon two mediocre players at a D position because you only have 10 pitchers. will be amazed if both Ryan and Didi really get to do this. ooh, SCARY pinch-hitters! lol

their middle INF D will be hugely improved, admittedly.
                  C McCann
                  IF Teix, Drew, Didi, Headley
                  OF Beltran, Gardner, Ellsbury
                  DH A-Rod

Most AL teams carry 4 bench players... they've got Chris Young, Garrett Jones, JR Murphy and Brendan Ryan. I think that works, assuming they feel confident either Ryan or Drew can cover 3B if needed. They've got 3 guys who can cover CF (CY, Ellsbury, Gardner), Garrett Jones can play 1B and even fake it in the outfield. It just doesn't leave room for either of Pirela or Refsnyder if they wanted to work those guys in at the major league level.

Comment

• U
                    Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    C McCann
                    DH A-Rod

Most AL teams carry 4 bench players... they've got Chris Young, Garrett Jones, JR Murphy and Brendan Ryan. I think that works, assuming they feel confident either Ryan or Drew can cover 3B if needed. They've got 3 guys who can cover CF (CY, Ellsbury, Gardner), Garrett Jones can play 1B and even fake it in the outfield. It just doesn't leave room for either of Pirela or Refsnyder if they wanted to work those guys in at the major league level.
                    A-rod can cover third "if needed"

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                      I always laugh at True Believer "they should trade so-and-so for so-and-so" scenarios. The one that always makes me chuckle was back in 1997 (?), when the A's were going to trade Mark McGwire. Someone here in Cincinnati proposed a straight-up McGwire-for-Hal Morris deal--and in a newspaper poll, over half of the responders called it a fair trade.

So it's not just Yankees fans, although they are the "best" at this game.
                      An over the hill Hal Morris was better than what the A's actually got for Big Mac.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                        C McCann
                        DH A-Rod

Someone was referencing how the Yanks got younger in the off-season. I guess that's true technically, but man, it's still a bunch of geezers.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Someone was referencing how the Yanks got younger in the off-season. I guess that's true technically, but man, it's still a bunch of geezers.
                          What do you consider a geezer? Over 30? They only have 3 guys currently over 35 (Arod, Beltran and Capuano) with Teix and CC about six months away. The entire bullpen is under 30 (Miller will be 30 by the start of the season) and the other three starts are 26 and under. Most of the remaining hitters are in the 30-31 range.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            What do you consider a geezer? Over 30? They only have 3 guys currently over 35 (Arod, Beltran and Capuano) with Teix and CC about six months away. The entire bullpen is under 30 (Miller will be 30 by the start of the season) and the other three starts are 26 and under. Most of the remaining hitters are in the 30-31 range.
                            8 of 9 starting hitters are age 31+ (only Gregorius is under 30). The rotation is getting younger, as is the bullpen, but I'd guess they still have one of the oldest teams in the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                              What Revo said...and I say a bunch of geezers and stand by it. Yes, over 30 is a bad thing in baseball terms, and over 30 and fragile is worse. And that's what several Yanks are. None are in their prime, not even close to it...the bullpen is good and the rotation is a group of question marks. Nobody knows if Tanaka's elbow will hold up for more than a few starts, what Pineda is going to do, which CC might show up, if Eovaldi can do more than throw hittable gas...just not pretty, IMO.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                                What Revo said...and I say a bunch of geezers and stand by it. Yes, over 30 is a bad thing in baseball terms, and over 30 and fragile is worse. And that's what several Yanks are. None are in their prime, not even close to it...the bullpen is good and the rotation is a group of question marks. Nobody knows if Tanaka's elbow will hold up for more than a few starts, what Pineda is going to do, which CC might show up, if Eovaldi can do more than throw hittable gas...just not pretty, IMO.
                                A rotation of question marks, I would agree with that. I guess I never really thought of 30-32 as old but I suppose they are.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X