Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Derek Jeter is hitting .297.

Oh wait, that's his SLUGGING percentage.

I don't think I've seen lower. Not by him, but by anyone since he's been around!
    Everth Cabrera was slugging .290 when he went on the DL in June. I know because I was unfortunately giving him at bats at that time. But he's got his slugging up to .300 now.

Comment

• this is not, I repeat NOT, from The Onion:

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – "If this doesn’t give you chills, call your doctor. You need to be checked for a pulse.

A new Derek Jeter ad is making the rounds via YouTube, this one courtesy of Gatorade. And it’s just as good — if not better — than the mega-viral RE2PECT spot from earlier this season.

The retiring Yankees captain spends much of the 1:30 video walking to work, greeting wide-eyed fans en route to Yankee Stadium. As Frank Sinatra’s “My Way” reaches a crescendo, Jeter nods, jogs out of the dugout and doffs his cap.

Cut to black."
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Yanks fired longtime hitting coach Kevin Long and 1B coach Mick Kelleher.

Comment

• Unless Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is being deceptive about his offseason plans, then Yankees fans better prepare to not see Max Scherzer in pinstripes starting in 2015, as it doesn't appear New York is actively pursuing the free agent starting pitcher.

"I don't think Yankees fans will be looking at Max Scherzer," Cashman said in an interview with NBC New York, per NJ.com.

Comment

Unless Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is being deceptive about his offseason plans, then Yankees fans better prepare to not see Max Scherzer in pinstripes starting in 2015, as it doesn't appear New York is actively pursuing the free agent starting pitcher.

"I don't think Yankees fans will be looking at Max Scherzer," Cashman said in an interview with NBC New York, per NJ.com.
            http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fan...t-max-scherzer
            If that's the case, I can see the Yanks being about a 78 win team...less if Tanaka blows his elbow out.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Interesting article on HOW the Yankees spend their money in free agency:

First, let’s catch up on a boatload of Pop Quiz questions: 1. From Bob Buscavage of Moriches: Name the Hall of Fame broadcaster who wrote the 1973 song, “Move Over Babe, Here Comes Henry,&#82…

In other words, the Yankees largely are binge spenders. In 2007-08, reeling from the ugly departure of iconic manager Joe Torre, they paid big to retain A-Rod and Posada as well as Mariano Rivera. In 2008, after missing the playoffs and looking to open their new stadium with a bang, they went credit-card crazy, signing the top three free agents Teixeira, Sabathia and Burnett. And in 2013, again after missing the playoffs, they spent like Imelda Marcos, picking up No. 2 Tanaka, No. 3 Ellsbury and No. 5 McCann.

That’s eight of their nine big-time free agents, and 27 of their 29 points, accrued in just three of the nine years.

Comment

• Yanks re-signed Chris Capuano to a 1yr, $5m deal.

Comment

• Hiroki Kuroda calls it a MLB career and will finish up in Japan for the Hiroshima Carp.

Comment

• Help me here. I'm really, really trying to figure out what the Yankees' plan is, if any. They're not signing big free agents, they're not signing middling free agents, they're not signing low-rent free agents (unless you consider Capuano to be in one of those latter two categories), and the farm system is pretty much a wasteland IMO.

So exactly how do they intend to get back to the top they and their fans consider to be their divine right?
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                      Help me here. I'm really, really trying to figure out what the Yankees' plan is, if any. They're not signing big free agents, they're not signing middling free agents, they're not signing low-rent free agents (unless you consider Capuano to be in one of those latter two categories), and the farm system is pretty much a wasteland IMO.

So exactly how do they intend to get back to the top they and their fans consider to be their divine right?
                      I honestly don't know. Their offense is mediocre, their rotation is injury-prone, and the bullpen could have been a major strength had they kept Robertson. The AL East isn't the powerhouse it used to be, so maybe that's one angle. Another is the off-season is far from over and Scherzer and Shields still lurk out there, no matter what they've said publicly.

Comment

I honestly don't know. Their offense is mediocre, their rotation is injury-prone, and the bullpen could have been a major strength had they kept Robertson. The AL East isn't the powerhouse it used to be, so maybe that's one angle. Another is the off-season is far from over and Scherzer and Shields still lurk out there, no matter what they've said publicly.
                        I can't help feeling like the more they say they'll never sign Scherzer, the closer they are to signing him. But really, other than Scherzer, what impact players are out there?

I'm also worried that they feel like they only need minor improvements to their "84 win" team and they may come from better seasons from Teix, Beltran, McCann, CC, a full season of Headley and Tanaka's elbow not imploding. Of course their Pythagorean record was only a 77-win team and I would hope they're smart enough to know that.

I think their farm system gets underrated a bit by BP, BA, etc because they churn out a lot of boring guys without the sexy toolsy guys the prospect hounds love (Warren, Phelps, JR Murphy, maybe Refsnyder) but who are important to filling out the bottom of a 200-mil roster.

If you look at their team ages, it looks like they're kind of doing a quiet rebuilding job. They've added Eovaldi (25), Didi (25), and Justin Wilson (27) to Pineda (26), Tanaka (26) and Betances (27). Gardner, Ellsbury, McCann and Headley are "only" 31 and maybe not hopelessly old and unable to contribute to the next winning team.

Maybe they're trying to position themselves for 2016 without totally writing off this year? Or at least not do anything that really hurts the 2016 team?

Or maybe they're genuinely waiting for Bud to make A-Rod go away so they can reallocate that money.

Comment

• JC...you switching back to the Pirates now?
                          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                            JC...you switching back to the Pirates now?
                            Nope I'll stick with the poor rebuilding Yankees, but I'm very happy the Pirates are watchable and likable again.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              Or maybe they're genuinely waiting for Bud to make A-Rod go away so they can reallocate that money.
                              Sorry JC, that won't happen in a million years. Imagine the pandora's box that would open, that teams could get out of bad contracts because of player indiscretions that may not have even have happened on their team. Plus, Bud is only commish until tomorrow, so he better work fast!

Comment

• Yanks acquire David Carpenter & Chasen Shreve for Manny Banuelos

Comment

Working...
                                X